CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
liltay357
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:59 pm

CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby liltay357 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:14 pm

...
Last edited by liltay357 on Thu Apr 18, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:30 pm

I'm assuming you'll be a law student next year (and hope you're not totally joking about this).

If so, doesn't your law school allow you to take grad-plus loans to cover your cost of living expenses? I also wonder if the case is that you're totally maxed out on grad-plus and can't cover your expenses, if your school would not let you take on work study?

It was always my understanding that food stamps were for the indigent (i.e. those without any means at all).

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Renzo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:51 pm

Rock-N-Roll wrote:I'm assuming you'll be a law student next year (and hope you're not totally joking about this).

If so, doesn't your law school allow you to take grad-plus loans to cover your cost of living expenses? I also wonder if the case is that you're totally maxed out on grad-plus and can't cover your expenses, if your school would not let you take on work study?

It was always my understanding that food stamps were for the indigent (i.e. those without any means at all).


I would qualify for food stamps in NYC. I elected not to seek them, but I wouldn't fault a student for deciding to accept them. We're almost all already getting government handouts in the form of subsidized loans, tax credits, and work-study grants. What's one more form of government aid?

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Renzo wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:I'm assuming you'll be a law student next year (and hope you're not totally joking about this).

If so, doesn't your law school allow you to take grad-plus loans to cover your cost of living expenses? I also wonder if the case is that you're totally maxed out on grad-plus and can't cover your expenses, if your school would not let you take on work study?

It was always my understanding that food stamps were for the indigent (i.e. those without any means at all).


I would qualify for food stamps in NYC. I elected not to seek them, but I wouldn't fault a student for deciding to accept them. We're almost all already getting government handouts in the form of subsidized loans, tax credits, and work-study grants. What's one more form of government aid?


Not all federal programs are intended for or available to all people, so I disagree with your general argument.

I do also admit that I don't know the rules related to food stamp qualification at all. My question to you would therefore be did you actually qualify in NYC? From the language of your post it sounds like you didn't but you rather believe that you would.

As an incoming student myself, I am totally (and painfully) aware of the need to minimize loan debt, but I hope we're not talking about using food stamps as a way to save a buck (disclaimer: I do not know anything about OP's situation and am not trying to judge him or her). I think food stamps are a resource intended for people who are desperate, and I think to try and get them as a grad student instead of taking more loans is taking advantage of the system. I could go to a shelter right now and get a free dinner, but it's not right.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby random5483 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:19 pm

Till this year, many students in Michigan apparently qualified for food stamps (read the article on my phone this morning). Maybe, Op read something to that effect?

Far as I know, California students don't qualify for food stamps. I went to a CA school for my undergrad and don't recall anyone having it. For grad/law students, I have no idea.

User avatar
snaps
Posts: 42
Joined: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:01 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby snaps » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:31 pm

in oregon you get food stamps if you hold a federal work-study job. $200/month for food! tons of people are on them here.

see if there's something similar in cali?

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:32 pm

You can qualify in CA, but I think you have to be working part time or something like that.

User avatar
El_Gallo
Posts: 217
Joined: Wed Apr 28, 2010 10:23 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby El_Gallo » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:42 pm

At BYU there are tons of grad students that get food stamps. Most of them are married and have kids, but I don't think that makes a difference. I'm pretty sure as long as your parents don't claim you and your income is below the threshold, you are good to go. Same thing goes for WIC, medicaid, and subsidized housing.

These programs are there for the people that need them. My opinion is that it is a very personal choice whether to take advantage of them or not.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby dr123 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:42 pm

El_Gallo wrote:At BYU there are tons of grad students that get food stamps. Most of them are married and have kids, but I don't think that makes a difference. I'm pretty sure as long as your parents don't claim you and your income is below the threshold, you are good to go. Same thing goes for WIC, medicaid, and subsidized housing.

These programs are there for the people that need them. My opinion is that it is a very personal choice whether to take advantage of them or not.


it does (in most states at least)

liltay357
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby liltay357 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:49 am

BackToTheOldHouse wrote:You can qualify in CA, but I think you have to be working part time or something like that.



This. I know for a fact I would qualify if I worked 20 hours according to the websites I found. I just dont know if as a graduate student they would view my financial aid as employment since we cant work.

And for what its worth, my family has been on aid forever, sister, cousins mother etc. I didnt take out the grad plus loan so Im trying to cut costs as I dont have the maximum refund coming my way. :-(

(Trust me I wish this wasnt an issue haha)

Thanks for the replys

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby rdcws000 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:23 am

Unbelievable

1. That you are considering this.
2. and that people are seriously helping you think through it.

I thought about responding but I think it's a trap. I'm going to pretend you're not serious instead.

Oban
Posts: 717
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Oban » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:09 am

I think if you have savings though you can't get stamps.

Faceplant
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:41 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Faceplant » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:32 am

liltay357 wrote:
BackToTheOldHouse wrote:You can qualify in CA, but I think you have to be working part time or something like that.



This. I know for a fact I would qualify if I worked 20 hours according to the websites I found. I just dont know if as a graduate student they would view my financial aid as employment since we cant work.

And for what its worth, my family has been on aid forever, sister, cousins mother etc. I didnt take out the grad plus loan so Im trying to cut costs as I dont have the maximum refund coming my way. :-(

(Trust me I wish this wasnt an issue haha)

Thanks for the replys

That's only if you tell them that you're attending school! just don't tell em, duh!

User avatar
Cupidity
Posts: 2214
Joined: Sun Jun 07, 2009 10:21 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Cupidity » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:36 am

rdcws000 wrote:Unbelievable

1. That you are considering this.
2. and that people are seriously helping you think through it.

I thought about responding but I think it's a trap. I'm going to pretend you're not serious instead.


Consider it retribution for taking away our subsidized graduate loan interest. I think we should all file for food stamps and cost the government a billion dollars for trying to save a few hundred million at our expense.

liltay357
Posts: 72
Joined: Thu Sep 02, 2010 3:59 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby liltay357 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:38 pm

rdcws000 wrote:Unbelievable

1. That you are considering this.
2. and that people are seriously helping you think through it.

I thought about responding but I think it's a trap. I'm going to pretend you're not serious instead.


stfu. Just because you have had the privilege of never needing them, dont judge me.

I wont lie about not being in school tho, I feel like that's an easy way to get caught up. I will let those know what I find out once I arrive out West! :-)

User avatar
glitter178
Posts: 771
Joined: Sun Mar 07, 2010 8:21 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby glitter178 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 8:44 pm

rdcws000 wrote:Unbelievable

1. That you are considering this.
2. and that people are seriously helping you think through it.

I thought about responding but I think it's a trap. I'm going to pretend you're not serious instead.


Didn't Old Dirty Bastard roll up in a limo to accept food stamps?
Jus Saying

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Renzo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:00 am

The program is intended for people who qualify for it. If the OP qualifies, the program is for him/her.

If the government wants to categorically exclude students who could borrow instead, they could do that. Since they haven't, get off your moral high horses.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby dr123 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:02 am

Renzo wrote:The program is intended for people who qualify for it. If the OP qualifies, the program is for him/her.

If the government wants to categorically exclude students who could borrow instead, they could do that. Since they haven't, get off your moral high horses.


A lot of states do.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Renzo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:03 am

dr123 wrote:
Renzo wrote:The program is intended for people who qualify for it. If the OP qualifies, the program is for him/her.

If the government wants to categorically exclude students who could borrow instead, they could do that. Since they haven't, get off your moral high horses.


A lot of states do.


And in those states, it would be wrong for a student to collect the benefit, since they'd have to lie to get them.

User avatar
dr123
Posts: 3503
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:38 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby dr123 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:05 am

Renzo wrote:
dr123 wrote:
Renzo wrote:The program is intended for people who qualify for it. If the OP qualifies, the program is for him/her.

If the government wants to categorically exclude students who could borrow instead, they could do that. Since they haven't, get off your moral high horses.


A lot of states do.


And in those states, it would be wrong for a student to collect the benefit, since they'd have to lie to get them.


I'm just saying, in most states, it is not easy (impossible in some) for an unemployed full time student who is unmarried with no kids to get food stamps.

random5483
Posts: 684
Joined: Sat Mar 20, 2010 8:17 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby random5483 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:09 am

If Cal Fresh = food stamps (guessing, not sure), then read below.

We don't qualify simply because you have to have under 2,000 dollars in the bank at any given point and need to report if you ever get over that threshhold. The way our loans work, we will end up over 2,000 at least twice a year when they disburse (unless you don't take loans for living expenses).

http://www.calfresh.ca.gov/PG841.htm


Requirements:
1. 20 hrs a week of work
2. Under 2k cash in the bank (other asset based reqs)
3. Low income
4. Fingerprinting



I can't imagine getting food stamps. I was a productive working adult 14 months ago. Getting food stamps feels wrong as a law student. We are all in mountains of debt (well most of us), but we are basically choosing not to work. If you are looking for a full-time job or have one and still need food stamps, that is one thing. But food stamps for a student is well, wrong, in my books.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:24 am

Renzo wrote: Since they haven't, get off your moral high horses.


As I essentially responded to you above - just because you are not prevented from doing something (i.e. being within the letter of the law) doesn't mean you should (i.e. because you are not within the spirit of that law). Or said otherwise, just because something is legal does not necessarily mean it is moral.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Renzo » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:32 am

Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Renzo wrote: Since they haven't, get off your moral high horses.


As I essentially responded to you above - just because you are not prevented from doing something (i.e. being within the letter of the law) doesn't mean you should (i.e. because you are not within the spirit of that law). Or said otherwise, just because something is legal does not necessarily mean it is moral.


Yah. I know that legal doesn't equal moral. I didn't tell anyone to get off their legal high horses.

User avatar
Rock-N-Roll
Posts: 319
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 5:16 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby Rock-N-Roll » Thu Aug 11, 2011 1:42 am

Renzo wrote:
Rock-N-Roll wrote:
Renzo wrote: Since they haven't, get off your moral high horses.


As I essentially responded to you above - just because you are not prevented from doing something (i.e. being within the letter of the law) doesn't mean you should (i.e. because you are not within the spirit of that law). Or said otherwise, just because something is legal does not necessarily mean it is moral.


Yah. I know that legal doesn't equal moral. I didn't tell anyone to get off their legal high horses.


Spoken like a true lawyer. :)

User avatar
rdcws000
Posts: 308
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 7:41 pm

Re: CALIFORNIA FOOD STAMPS??

Postby rdcws000 » Thu Aug 11, 2011 9:22 am

liltay357 wrote:
rdcws000 wrote:Unbelievable

1. That you are considering this.
2. and that people are seriously helping you think through it.

I thought about responding but I think it's a trap. I'm going to pretend you're not serious instead.


stfu. Just because you have had the privilege of never needing them, dont judge me.

I wont lie about not being in school tho, I feel like that's an easy way to get caught up. I will let those know what I find out once I arrive out West! :-)


The privilege of never needing foodstamps? You're a dipshit.

I've taken out government loans that I know I can pay back, even if I don't get a job as a lawyer when I graduate, because I already have a job (a job mind you, not a trust fund) that will enable me to make the payments. Only a snot nosed little turd would consider my job a "privilege". No one gifted me my job. I put in an application, I started from the bottom, and worked my way through several promotions. Since you obviously cannot afford to go to school right now if you're considering defrauding the government, you should give this job application process a try.

What makes you think you are special because you're a poor law student? I don't know any law students who are not poor, except for the obvious exception of the few rich kids who's parents are paying. This is a small group.

As for those of you supporting the idea because the law does not explicitly rule it out (which you don't even know, you're just guessing), there's not much I can say to convince you. If your philosophy in life is to take what you can, because "you can", then good luck with that. At some point, you will run out of other people's money. If you can sit there with a straight face and tell me the food stamp program in California is intended to be an alternative to graduate student loans for living expenses, then I'll give you the benefit of the doubt.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 3 guests