Lazy's Guide to Top 10% Without Working Nights or Weekends

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NYC Law

Re: Lazy's Guide to Top 10% Without Working Nights or Weekends

Postby NYC Law » Sat Jan 21, 2012 9:35 pm

LeDique wrote:I more or less followed this approach last semester and am likely around top 10% fwiw.

+1

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:40 pm

lawgod wrote:When did you find time to write this post?

Yeah. This shit is way TL for a "lazy's" guide. DR. I somehow managed ~10% anyway.

Lazy

Postby Lazy » Mon Jan 23, 2012 12:56 am

NYC Law wrote:
LeDique wrote:I more or less followed this approach last semester and am likely around top 10% fwiw.

+1

Congrats to you both! I'm glad to hear that you guys did well. :D

3|ink wrote:
lawgod wrote:When did you find time to write this post?

Yeah. This shit is way TL for a "lazy's" guide. DR. I somehow managed ~10% anyway.

I wrote the Guide during my last few weeks at my summer job. Yeah, overachiever I am (although, truth be told, I didn't have any assigned work that I had to be doing instead). It probably took two hours, if I add all the time up. So it's not quite the labor you seem to be assuming it was, but I admit that it's less lazy than just doing nothing.

It's great that you did well though, guide or no guide. Hopefully everyone here celebrated accordingly.

gulcregret

Postby gulcregret » Tue Jan 31, 2012 12:47 pm

This is far from lazy but a very helpful guide to doing well. It really is no different than what most students will do anyway. Most students in my section 1L year did not outline early nor did they brief each case. They did read all the cases and begin outlining in the final couple of weeks, though.

This is lazy:

Do not buy any casebooks. Do not do any of the reading. Never be prepared for class. Get as many outlines from outline bank or Google that one can find. Read Crunchtime or another supplement and copy/paste from outlines to formulate own outline. 1L classes have enough supplements and free outlines that getting a casebook and reading it is the exact opposite of being lazy. Look at old exams and the feedback memos. Take the old exams to class and use the language from the feedback to answer the questions.

I've never bought a casebook for class. I read the first week of classes 1L and decided that it was a complete waste of time. Since then I have never read a full case. I Google case names and find summaries. I get outlines from friends, the web, or outline banks. I was top third (really all you need to be if you go to a T14) spent the 2L summer at a top firm in Washington got an offer, turned it down because I'm too lazy to work BigLaw hours, and accepted an offer from FDIC/OCC/Fed Reserve (100k for core hours of 10AM to 4:30PM).

This is lazy.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:14 pm

This is going to be closer to my approach this semester for the first half or so. Although I am still going to quick-read supplements and outline as I go. I'll wrap things up about a month ahead and do a ton o' practice exams. That seemed to work well last time.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Jan 31, 2012 2:19 pm

gulcregret wrote:This is far from lazy but a very helpful guide to doing well. It really is no different than what most students will do anyway. Most students in my section 1L year did not outline early nor did they brief each case. They did read all the cases and begin outlining in the final couple of weeks, though.

This is lazy:

Do not buy any casebooks. Do not do any of the reading. Never be prepared for class. Get as many outlines from outline bank or Google that one can find. Read Crunchtime or another supplement and copy/paste from outlines to formulate own outline. 1L classes have enough supplements and free outlines that getting a casebook and reading it is the exact opposite of being lazy. Look at old exams and the feedback memos. Take the old exams to class and use the language from the feedback to answer the questions.

I've never bought a casebook for class. I read the first week of classes 1L and decided that it was a complete waste of time. Since then I have never read a full case. I Google case names and find summaries. I get outlines from friends, the web, or outline banks. I was top third (really all you need to be if you go to a T14) spent the 2L summer at a top firm in Washington got an offer, turned it down because I'm too lazy to work BigLaw hours, and accepted an offer from FDIC/OCC/Fed Reserve (100k for core hours of 10AM to 4:30PM).

This is lazy.

I'd try that approach if I were at a T14. But I'm not, and it's too much risk. That's what 2-3L is for.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Thu Feb 02, 2012 2:08 am

wait a minute.. you worked 9-6 and thats lazy?? what does working 9-1 make me?

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:20 am

This isn't "lazy," but no one should be lazy as a 1L. Save lazy for 2L and 3L year (my grades were in the top 5% this semester and my effort was in the bottom 5%... 2LOLOL). You definitely should work hard as a 1L. I'd call this guide balanced and realistic. I am so sick of seeing all these gunnerish guides on here. People, you can do well and have a life. Sounds like that's what the OP's strategy was. Work hard during the day, do your reading, keep up, outline well, and kill the exams, all while enjoying your time in law school. That's exactly what I did as well, and I am happy that I did not sacrifice my social life for my grades or vice versa..

Also, the other thing I'll give a big +1 to is the note-taking portion. I cannot freaking believe how some people still sit there as 2Ls and transcribe what the professor is saying. You only need to take notes on the really important stuff and things that you think might be relevant to the exam. I have probably 30 pages of notes total over the past three semesters, and 20 of them were probably from 1L fall. I rarely pay much attention in class, rarely put pencil to paper, yet here I sit with solid grades. Maybe taking tons of notes helps some people, but don't do it if it doesn't. That's something I hate about law school. Forget what all the people around you are doing. If it doesn't help you, then you don't need to go through the motions so you "look" like a stressed out, gunnerish law student.

neeko

Postby neeko » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:32 am

Thanks Lazy!

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:46 pm

romothesavior wrote:This isn't "lazy," but no one should be lazy as a 1L. Save lazy for 2L and 3L year (my grades were in the top 5% this semester and my effort was in the bottom 5%... 2LOLOL). You definitely should work hard as a 1L. I'd call this guide balanced and realistic. I am so sick of seeing all these gunnerish guides on here. People, you can do well and have a life. Sounds like that's what the OP's strategy was. Work hard during the day, do your reading, keep up, outline well, and kill the exams, all while enjoying your time in law school. That's exactly what I did as well, and I am happy that I did not sacrifice my social life for my grades or vice versa..

Also, the other thing I'll give a big +1 to is the note-taking portion. I cannot freaking believe how some people still sit there as 2Ls and transcribe what the professor is saying. You only need to take notes on the really important stuff and things that you think might be relevant to the exam. I have probably 30 pages of notes total over the past three semesters, and 20 of them were probably from 1L fall. I rarely pay much attention in class, rarely put pencil to paper, yet here I sit with solid grades. Maybe taking tons of notes helps some people, but don't do it if it doesn't. That's something I hate about law school. Forget what all the people around you are doing. If it doesn't help you, then you don't need to go through the motions so you "look" like a stressed out, gunnerish law student.

+1, except even outlining doesn't seem necessary. There are a bunch of people in my section that actually transcribe every single word the professor says, even if it's some tangental example. Makes me cringe a little.

But the main thing is just to do what works for you. If you weren't super organized and never studied a ton in UG and still got good grades you probably won't need to change much in Law School. On the other hand, I'm assuming all of the ones that were super anal in UG and studied all the time will probably need to do that again in LS and might find more use out of the guides by xeoh, et al.

But there really doesn't seem to be some secret method or trick. Just go to class, read the cases, look everything over at the end, and make sure you know how to write a law school exam.

Lazy

Postby Lazy » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:52 pm

I feel like I should clarify that "lazy" means "lazy for 1L and as compared to the other guides on TLS" rather than objectively "lazy".

Also, have edited the OP to reflect first semester 2L.

apl6783

Postby apl6783 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:08 am

This "guide" is bullshit. Basically he is just telling you to do the assigned readings and make your own outline, and then follow the standard exam taking advice.

For most of you, this will result in a median grade. This person is probably extremely intelligent. Most people simply cannot learn all they need to learn by reading the casebook in the amount of time he is talking about here.

Don't follow this advice, it's bullshit.

LawMan20

Postby LawMan20 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:27 am

apl6783 wrote:This "guide" is bullshit. Basically he is just telling you to do the assigned readings and make your own outline, and then follow the standard exam taking advice.

For most of you, this will result in a median grade. This person is probably extremely intelligent. Most people simply cannot learn all they need to learn by reading the casebook in the amount of time he is talking about here.

You're an idiot. All you need to do in order to do well is read the casebook and pay attention in class. Supplements and etc. only help if you don't pay attention or need help clarifying a certain part of the law.
Last edited by LawMan20 on Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:30 am

apl6783 wrote:This "guide" is bullshit. Basically he is just telling you to do the assigned readings and make your own outline, and then follow the standard exam taking advice.

Law school ain't that hard brah. People rarely get median because of substandard work ethic in the beginning of the semester. People get median because they just aren't very "law school smart," or more likely, they just don't know how to take a law school exam. Yes, you have to do a decent amount of work in law school to succeed, but getting good grades really doesn't require a high workload relative to your peers.

catwomangirl

Postby catwomangirl » Sat Feb 11, 2012 11:40 am

Nice.

Tag.

omninode

Postby omninode » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:01 pm

This thread is telling me everything I want to hear, i.e. the methods that worked for me in UG are applicable to law school. I hope it works out that way.

Lazy

Postby Lazy » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:17 pm

The unfortunate reality is that most people who attend law school, regardless of what guide they follow (if they use one at all) will end up around median. That's the nature of the curve.

I appreciate your belief that I am some kind of genius, but the reality is...I'm not. Am I smart? Sure. But I go to school with people just as smart or smarter than I am who spent a great deal more time studying. They had, and used, all the supplements. But I am still scored higher than them on exams. My theory is that you cannot out-work the curve, and trying to is both frustrating and pointless.

That said, if you're not comfortable with that theory, you're welcome not to use it. It has worked for me. It has worked for a few other people who have posted their results in this thread. It won't necessarily work for everyone. If you want a more "intense" kind of guide (which it sounds like you do), there are plenty of those available.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Feb 11, 2012 1:53 pm

romothesavior wrote:

Law school ain't that hard brah. People rarely get median because of substandard work ethic in the beginning of the semester. People get median because they just aren't very "law school smart," or more likely, they just don't know how to take a law school exam. Yes, you have to do a decent amount of work in law school to succeed, but getting good grades really doesn't require a high workload relative to your peers.

It really does just come down to inability to take a law school exam. As a subset of that, many people just cannot handle ambiguity, which is a death trap on a law school exam. If you know how to take an exam, all you need to do is do the readings and go to class.

So many people at the beginning of spring were questioning the professor over stupid things like why the law isn't more concrete, and that's when I realized the reason I had done so well. You just have to learn to take an exam and accept that on almost every exam there is no 'right answer'. You can't just find some missing golden page in a hornbook for the facts that the professor gives you and you'll suddenly know the 'correct' legal outcome. That isn't what law exams are testing. They're supposed to be testing your ability to take what law and reasoning you do know and apply it to novel facts, explaining your reasoning and explain the factors pulling on the outcome to go both ways, then make a determinination based on the weight of the reasoning/evidence as to what will ultimately happen. None of this you can find in a hornbook or supplement.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:16 pm

NYC Law wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

It really does just come down to inability to take a law school exam. As a subset of that, many people just cannot handle ambiguity, which is a death trap on a law school exam. If you know how to take an exam, all you need to do is do the readings and go to class.

So many people at the beginning of spring were questioning the professor over stupid things like why the law isn't more concrete, and that's when I realized the reason I had done so well. You just have to learn to take an exam and accept that on almost every exam there is no 'right answer'. You can't just find some missing golden page in a hornbook for the facts that the professor gives you and you'll suddenly know the 'correct' legal outcome. That isn't what law exams are testing. They're supposed to be testing your ability to take what law and reasoning you do know and apply it to novel facts, explaining your reasoning and explain the factors pulling on the outcome to go both ways, then make a determinination based on the weight of the reasoning/evidence as to what will ultimately happen. None of this you can find in a hornbook or supplement.

Great post. So true. People hate ambiguity and don't know how to deal with it on an exam. I can't tell you how many people after my contracts final were saying things like, "Oh ya, definitely an open price term and a contract." There was no f'n way it was at all definite, and if you thought it was, you didn't see the ambiguity.

I also think it goes back to people's inability to read a case. They formulate their issue and the rules so narrowly that they are inapplicable to similar but slightly different fact patterns. For example, if you read the "Fox" case in property and think, "A person must have possession of an animal before he has possessory rights to it," you're doing it wrong.

I pretty much followed Lazy's guide, except I also read the E&E's on a pretty consistent basis. Ended up doing well.

AVBucks4239

Postby AVBucks4239 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 5:29 pm

You shouldn't be blaming anybody but yourself for your inability to take a law school exam. You especially shouldn't be blaming a self-described "lazy" person who took the time to write a long, thoughtful post to help a bunch of anonymous people succeed in law school.

From what I can remember, OP recommends looking at old exams and making sure you can spot issues/ambiguities. If you did do this, you weren't doing it right.

Good luck second semester. I recommend reading Getting to Maybe over your Presidents Day weekend. If you followed what OP recommended and did not do well, the only thing you're missing is being able to take a law school exam.

apl6783

Postby apl6783 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:02 pm

AVBucks4239 wrote:

You shouldn't be blaming anybody but yourself for your inability to take a law school exam. You especially shouldn't be blaming a self-described "lazy" person who took the time to write a long, thoughtful post to help a bunch of anonymous people succeed in law school.

From what I can remember, OP recommends looking at old exams and making sure you can spot issues/ambiguities. If you did do this, you weren't doing it right.

Good luck second semester. I recommend reading Getting to Maybe over your Presidents Day weekend. If you followed what OP recommended and did not do well, the only thing you're missing is being able to take a law school exam.

#3rd in my class, thanks.

Did it with supplements. This post is silly, it's humble bragging. "I'm lazy, I got top 10% without doing much work and without relying on supplements to explain the material."

I called it out so people don't fall into this trap. I don't care what anyone says, most people in law school aren't smart enough to make strait A's by reading cases.

But that's not even relevant. No matter how smart you are, you can spend X amount of time reading cases to learn the BLL, or you can spend X/10 amount of time reading supplements and come away with a better understanding of the material.

I followed this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/success- ... chool.html adapted to my personal tastes to similar results. The only difference was I only went out once per week and got a little bit better grades than this dude, but at a lower ranked school.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:08 pm

apl6783 wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:

Did it with supplements. This post is silly, it's humble bragging. "I'm lazy, I got top 10% without doing much work and without relying on supplements to explain the material."

I called it out so people don't fall into this trap. I don't care what anyone says, most people in law school aren't smart enough to make strait A's by reading cases.

But that's not even relevant. No matter how smart you are, you can spend X amount of time reading cases to learn the BLL, or you can spend X/10 amount of time reading supplements and come away with a better understanding of the material.

I followed this: http://www.top-law-schools.com/success- ... chool.html adapted to my personal tastes to similar results. The only difference was I only went out once per week and got a little bit better grades than this dude, but at a lower ranked school.

I don't know how many times it's been repeated on TLS that you just have to 'do what works for you'. For some people the supplement approach is most effective, for others this approach works. You can't just call one method objective bullshit when it's been proven to provide great results as well. The only thing that's consistent is you need to know how to take an exam, do what your professor wants, and have an understanding of the BLL - whether you get the BLL from the case book, lecture, extensive outlining, or supplements is up to you and your learning style

apl6783

Postby apl6783 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:13 pm

NYC Law wrote:
apl6783 wrote:
AVBucks4239 wrote:

I don't know how many times it's been repeated on TLS that you just have to 'do what works for you'. For some people the supplement approach is most effective, for others this approach works. You can't just call one method objective bullshit when it's been proven to provide great results as well. The only thing that's consistent is you need to know how to take an exam, do what your professor wants, and have an understanding of the BLL - whether you get the BLL from the case book, lecture, extensive outlining, or supplements is up to you and your learning style

I had a teacher who spent a good amount of time the first day of class talking about why supplements were unnecessary and why using them did you a disservice in the long run. His point was that he didn't use them and his grades turned out fine. Not using supplements worked out just fine for him. Of course, he graduated magna from Harvard, which he was a strong admit to.

The point is, what works for a genius doesn't work for the common man. Meaning that, like I said, "Lazy" is probably smarter than everyone at his school so this works for him. This won't work for someone at the median LSAT score if they're going to be "lazy." It just will not. If you're in the middle of the LSAT curve, it is highly unlikely that you will be able outplay your classmates on the exam by spending less time studying than them, and studying inferior materials. You can't. You'll grab all the low hanging fruit, but you won't have the knowledge base to make the deeper connections to be found in the facts of the exam, and you won't have as much time to practice exams since you'll spend all your time reading cases or being lazy, whatever that means to you.

Moreover, no one can deny that reading the material in a supplement is less time consuming and easier than learning it from cases (at least, I don't think but maybe I'm missing something here). If you're smarter than the rest of your class, why not save some time? If you're at the median LSAT wise, why not bring a gun to a knife fight to boost your grades?

Either way, if some dude at a middle of the road law school sees this he might think OH GREAT I CAN GET TOP 10% LIKE THIS GUY. There is a 99% chance of that not happening if he follows this guide. That's sad given the fact that if he didn't follow this bad advice he might have a real shot at hitting the top 10%, even by being lazy, if he buys supplements.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:35 pm

apl6783 wrote:I had a teacher who spent a good amount of time the first day of class talking about why supplements were unnecessary and why using them did you a disservice in the long run. His point was that he didn't use them and his grades turned out fine. Not using supplements worked out just fine for him. Of course, he graduated magna from Harvard, which he was a strong admit to.

The point is, what works for a genius doesn't work for the common man. Meaning that, like I said, "Lazy" is probably smarter than everyone at his school so this works for him. This won't work for someone at the median LSAT score if they're going to be "lazy." It just will not. If you're in the middle of the LSAT curve, it is highly unlikely that you will be able outplay your classmates on the exam by spending less time studying than them, and studying inferior materials. You can't. You'll grab all the low hanging fruit, but you won't have the knowledge base to make the deeper connections to be found in the facts of the exam, and you won't have as much time to practice exams since you'll spend all your time reading cases or being lazy, whatever that means to you.

Moreover, no one can deny that reading the material in a supplement is less time consuming and easier than learning it from cases (at least, I don't think but maybe I'm missing something here). If you're smarter than the rest of your class, why not save some time? If you're at the median LSAT wise, why not bring a gun to a knife fight to boost your grades?

Either way, if some dude at a middle of the road law school sees this he might think OH GREAT I CAN GET TOP 10% LIKE THIS GUY. There is a 99% chance of that not happening if he follows this guide. That's sad given the fact that if he didn't follow this bad advice he might have a real shot at hitting the top 10%, even by being lazy, if he buys supplements.

LawMan20 wrote:You're an idiot.

apl6783

Postby apl6783 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 7:54 pm

Nightrunner wrote:How about everybody helps themselves to a piping hot cup of shut the fuck up?

This is not why this thread exists.

Lock it. This thread is a booby trap. Like one of those pits covered with leaves, only instead of spikes at the bottom its just lots of shitty advice.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”