Discounts for BarBri??

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
cronous

Discounts for BarBri??

Postby cronous » Tue Aug 09, 2011 12:49 pm

I am nauseous at the hefty price tag for BarBri (ranging from almost $2,700 to $4,000 depending on the state for the full course). I am aware of the $100 Early Bird Discount (though it is seems trivial).

I have heard there may be a discount for being a member of the ABA law student division. Is this so?

Also is anyone aware of any other discount that may be used for BarBri?

Finally do I really need the full course? Can I get away with just buying the textbooks and learning on my own? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

truevines

Re: Discounts for BarBri??

Postby truevines » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:52 pm

cronous wrote:I am nauseous at the hefty price tag for BarBri (ranging from almost $2,700 to $4,000 depending on the state for the full course). I am aware of the $100 Early Bird Discount (though it is seems trivial).

I have heard there may be a discount for being a member of the ABA law student division. Is this so?

Also is anyone aware of any other discount that may be used for BarBri?

Finally do I really need the full course? Can I get away with just buying the textbooks and learning on my own? Any thoughts would be appreciated.

You should lock down the rate as soon as possible. I think you pay like $250 during 1L to lock down the rate.

The best way to save Barbri fees is to have your firm/employer (when you get one) pay for it.

I heard of people who passed the bar without any bar prep.

Bayside

Postby Bayside » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:46 am

The lectures in the course are invaluable. I would try to swing the cost if you can.
It may seem expensive, but remember you are getting 2 months of classes, 5 days a week, for about 3 hours a day, plus scads of practice testing and workshops. I can't imagine passing the bar exam without something like this and BARBRI has clearly been THE course for many years.
Check to see if the BARBRI course in the state you need offers tuition assistance. In many states there are tuition assistance programs and you can apply for this type of scholarship help directly from BARBRI. The application process is very easy.
You might also watch for public interest auctions at your law school. In many states, BARBRI donates certificates to the auctions and you may be able to save some money that way.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Aug 10, 2011 7:52 am

It's possible to pass state bars without taking a formal course. Try to get used bar prep materials to make it easier.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”