Wow, Cooley has a sense of humor

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
TrojanHopeful

Re: Wow, Cooley has a sense of humor

Postby TrojanHopeful » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:22 pm

They are definitely ranked #1 now.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:23 pm

TrojanHopeful wrote:They are definitely ranked #1 now.

Their library space has at least doubled, and they probably have like 500 more chairs than before.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:27 pm

beach_terror wrote:Whatever, it's not like people that attend these schools are actually in the running for meaningful jobs anyway. Yeah it's fucked up, but as long as they aren't taking my jerbs.

There you go.

Florida is a festering legal market that has barely stopped laughing at Ave Maria, I personally would LOVE to see a school hit a magical 0% employed in JD required private sector positions, and see how the school tries to hide that.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:33 pm

I wrote this earlier in another post. I completely stand by it because I firmly believe that the ABA is beyond redemption regarding law schools. Also, I feel very strongly about the issue because the ABA is allowing law schools to get richer with taxpayers funds (in the form of student loans) while using very unethical practices (massaged employment data).
The reality is that not much is going to change as long as the ABA is in charge of regulating law schools. Please write to your Senators, Representatives and the DoEd, and ask them to take away the ABA's accreditation and regulatory powers for law schools. It's the only way. A few short, simple letters can perhaps make a huge difference in your future legal career. It can actually just be the same letter, just change the mailing address. And it doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a few lines explaining the main point: no more ABA because it has failed to do its job while law schools benefit at the expense of taxpayers.

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:38 pm

Soon they will team up with McDonalds to have thousands of satellite branches.

Buy a Big Mac, and for an extra $200,000 you can have a law degree!

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:39 pm

scammedhard wrote:I wrote this earlier in another post. I completely stand by it because I firmly believe that the ABA is beyond redemption regarding law schools. Also, I feel very strongly about the issue because the ABA is allowing law schools to get richer with taxpayers funds (in the form of student loans) while using very unethical practices (massaged employment data).
The reality is that not much is going to change as long as the ABA is in charge of regulating law schools. Please write to your Senators, Representatives and the DoEd, and ask them to take away the ABA's accreditation and regulatory powers for law schools. It's the only way. A few short, simple letters can perhaps make a huge difference in your future legal career. It can actually just be the same letter, just change the mailing address. And it doesn't have to be anything fancy, just a few lines explaining the main point: no more ABA because it has failed to do its job while law schools benefit at the expense of taxpayers.

No accrediting agency is better than the ABA? I don't know about that.
Maybe a "Professional Accrediting Agency" (the "PAA"), that assumes the duties of the AMA and ABA, with none of the ABA management, institutions, rules, facilities, or anything else sticking around.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:49 pm

NYC Law wrote:No accrediting agency is better than the ABA? I don't know about that. Maybe a "Professional Accrediting Agency" (the "PAA"), that assumes the duties of the AMA and ABA, with none of the ABA management, institutions, rules, facilities, or anything else sticking around.

"No accrediting agency" is not an option; the DOE requires an accrediting/regulatory body to dispense funds (student loans and grants).

Why do you bring the AMA here? They seem to be doing a superb job.
Last edited by scammedhard on Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:51 pm

scammedhard wrote:
NYC Law wrote:No accrediting agency is better than the ABA? I don't know about that.
Maybe a "Professional Accrediting Agency" (the "PAA"), that assumes the duties of the AMA and ABA, with none of the ABA management, institutions, rules, facilities, or anything else sticking around.

"]No accrediting agency" is not an option; the DOE requires an accrediting/regulatory body to dispense funds (student loans and grants).

Why do you bring the AMA here? They seem to be doing a superb job.

Exactly, that's why I was saying none of the ABA people would stick around (only AMA). There has to be some way to give them the law schools too.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:54 pm

NYC Law wrote:Exactly, that's why I was saying none of the ABA people would stick around (only AMA). There has to be some way to give them the law schools too.

AMA will never get their hands dirty with the ABA; they don't know anything about law schools.

But maybe if the ABA is fired, the NALP can step in, and maybe they'll be better. Right now, almost anything would be better than the ABA.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Mon Aug 08, 2011 7:56 pm

scammedhard wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Exactly, that's why I was saying none of the ABA people would stick around (only AMA). There has to be some way to give them the law schools too.

AMA will never get their hands dirty with the ABA; they don't know anything about law schools.

But maybe if the ABA is fired, the NALP can step in, and maybe they'll be better. Right now, almost anything would be better than the ABA.

I kind of feel bad for the ABA, it looks like they get entangled in a lot of lawsuits with Cooley. At this point I think they're just tired of dealing with the scumbags that run these shit holes.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:04 pm

NYC Law wrote:I kind of feel bad for the ABA, it looks like they get entangled in a lot of lawsuits with Cooley. At this point I think they're just tired of dealing with the scumbags that run these shit holes.

I don't feel bad at all about the ABA. If anything, I hate them. Their philosophy of deregulation and allowing law schools to do whatever they want, even to present fraudulent employment data, is ruining thousands of lives per year.

It's time for change; let's get the ABA out of the law school business.
Last edited by scammedhard on Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

target

Postby target » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:05 pm

scammedhard wrote:I wrote this earlier in another post. I completely stand by it because I firmly believe that the ABA is beyond redemption regarding law schools. Also, I feel very strongly about the issue because the ABA is allowing law schools to get richer with taxpayers funds (in the form of student loans) while using very unethical practices (massaged employment data).

Sorry, I failed to see how the last statement is true.

quakeroats

Postby quakeroats » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:07 pm

Helmholtz wrote:What exactly is the ABA's job again?

To keep the legal-services cartel running smoothly?

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:08 pm

target wrote:Sorry, I failed to see how the last statement is true.

You mean that you need further explanation about it?

target

Postby target » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:09 pm

scammedhard wrote:

Yeah. I may know what you mean, but just to be sure.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:11 pm

target wrote:
scammedhard wrote:

Yeah. I may know what you mean, but just to be sure.

The government is securing the loans that private lenders give out, so when kids start defaulting on them en masse, the lenders don't take the hit, the government does.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:18 pm

target wrote:Yeah. I may know what you mean, but just to be sure.

1. Law schools are not penalized for the defaults of their grads. They get paid upfront, and any downsides (defaults) are absorbed by taxpayers.

2. Lots of grads can only pay their law schools debts through f IBR, another gov. program where the taxpayers are left holding the bag.

At the end of the day, though, this massive inflation in law school tuition has been created by the easy credit provided by the gov. and the lack of regulation of the ABA.

joemoviebuff

Postby joemoviebuff » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:25 pm

I can't even joke about this stuff anymore, it's just so ridiculously fucked up.

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:35 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:I can't even joke about this stuff anymore, it's just so ridiculously fucked up.

And it all happens with the blessing of the ABA.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:51 pm

swc65

Postby swc65 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:54 pm

The article stated that 700 students will amend in may. Does that really mean 700 first years?? So Cooley will have 2100 1st years???

berkeleykel06

Postby berkeleykel06 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:56 pm

joemoviebuff wrote:I can't even joke about this stuff anymore, it's just so ridiculously fucked up.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:03 pm

beach_terror wrote:Whatever, it's not like people that attend these schools are actually in the running for meaningful jobs anyway. Yeah it's fucked up, but as long as they aren't taking my jerbs.

Somebody I know graduated from UMiami last year. Now has a $10/hr job with 120k in loans.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:07 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

Somebody I know graduated from UMiami last year. Now has a $10/hr job with 120k in loans.

See, now I don't get how this works. On the shitlaw jobs website, none of the postings are that bad. Every person I know from the dregs of Florida (STU, FIU, Nova) has a job, and a decent one at that.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:08 pm

ResolutePear wrote:

Yeah well that sucks to be him, but did he not do great at Miami? If I were anywhere close to median after 1L, I would have dropped out in a heartbeat. Thankfully, I did pretty fucking well.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”