Wow, Cooley has a sense of humor

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ResolutePear

Re: Wow, Cooley has a sense of humor

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:44 am

random5483 wrote:lol. What else is there to say?

Boobs.

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:48 am

And this school calls itself #2 and nonprofit? Honestly, I don't know whether I am more saddened by people willing to attend or by the school trying to make as much money as possible by screwing people over.

According to the ABA profile, it had an 85% acceptance rate (I'm counting part + full time). If the drop in test takers this year equates to a drop in applicants, I wonder if Cooley might finally hit a >90% acceptance rate.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:24 am

ResolutePear wrote:

Boobs.

@$$.

NoleinNY

Postby NoleinNY » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:53 am

Tagged. As if anyone needed another reason to make fun of the state of Florida / the ABA / the legal profession as a whole...

scammedhard

Postby scammedhard » Tue Aug 09, 2011 9:40 am

ResolutePear wrote:Yes. Let the AMA accredit a couple schools in a year and the profession will practically throw them out into the streets.

Lawyers just have no balls - the ABA ripped them out as required for entering a state bar.

It doesn't have to be that way. Express your ABA displeasure to the DoEd, and your Senators and Representatives by email; let them know that you support -and want them to join- the efforts of Sens. Boxer and Grassley against the ABA.

Stop taking it up the ass and do something! It really matters to your future. If Cooley can do this, what prevents other schools from doing it as well? Soon, we'll have a gazillion more law schools churning even more graduates into an already glutted profession. And it won't matter that you graduate from a "Top Law School:" A glutted market affects everyone.

areyouinsane

Postby areyouinsane » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:18 am

I've long argued for a "Motor Lawyer" law, similar to the Motor Voter act. Everyone is admitted to the bar when they get their driver's license.

Really, what's the point of lawschool anymore? Don't for a minute think these other TTTT's aren't watching Cooley rake in the cash and getting ideas.

Fact is, lawyers are dime a dozen and this industry really has no future. The glut is so severe already that something like 40% of kids from even lower Tier 1 schools don't find full-time jobs in law.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:21 am

Does passing the bar mean I get to make up stats like you do?

MoS

Postby MoS » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:28 am

I think the difference between opening up a med school and opening a law school is not that the accreditation requirements are so more stringent for med schools, but the start up cost is so much higher.

For a med school you need a building, a hospital (this is the biggest cost), and doctors who are being paid 100k minimum.

For a law school you need a building and some lawyers who would be thrilled to get out of practice even if its for 60k.

Helmholtz

Postby Helmholtz » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:29 am

prezidentv8 wrote:
ResolutePear wrote:

Boobs.

@$$.

I hear this thread is where all the cool kids are hanging out now.

areyouinsane

Postby areyouinsane » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:32 am

I guess the writer at the New Republic just made all this up:

http://www.tnr.com/article/87251/law-sc ... n?page=0,1

At the "top 50" school he studied for the article, only 45% of grads had real, full time, non-temp jobs 9 months post graduation.

The grim reality is that it's much worse out there than even the most pessimistic of you can imagine. Demand for non-Biglaw track lawyers is essentially less than zero.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:34 am

You know, I was thinking that Florida was missing something. Thanks, Cooley. Also: nice way to take the statistics from one school and generalize them to all schools in the range, insane. As always, no hyperbole with you.

Retard.

Fedorov91

Postby Fedorov91 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 10:37 am

areyouinsane wrote:I've long argued for a "Motor Lawyer" law, similar to the Motor Voter act. Everyone is admitted to the bar when they get their driver's license.

Really, what's the point of lawschool anymore? Don't for a minute think these other TTTT's aren't watching Cooley rake in the cash and getting ideas.

Fact is, lawyers are dime a dozen and this industry really has no future. The glut is so severe already that something like 40% of kids from even lower Tier 1 schools don't find full-time jobs in law.

areyouinsane wrote:

I guess the writer at the New Republic just made all this up:

http://www.tnr.com/article/87251/law-sc ... n?page=0,1

At the "top 50" school he studied for the article, only 45% of grads had real, full time, non-temp jobs 9 months post graduation.

The grim reality is that it's much worse out there than even the most pessimistic of you can imagine. Demand for non-Biglaw track lawyers is essentially less than zero.

Hmmmmmm that's a big difference.

FeelTheHeat

Postby FeelTheHeat » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:02 am

bjsesq wrote:You know, I was thinking that Florida was missing something. Thanks, Cooley. Also: nice way to take the statistics from one school and generalize them to all schools in the range, insane. As always, no hyperbole with you.

Retard.

Beat me to it.

firemed

Postby firemed » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:28 pm

I know I am late to the party, but:

Really, Cooley, really?

Why doesn't the ABA accreditation committee just skip the effing middle man and just sell us our JDs directly for $120K by mail?

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:31 pm

So we're mad at the ABA for allowing an already for-profit school the opportunity to make more profit? :wink:

areyouinsane

Postby areyouinsane » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:40 pm

Why doesn't the ABA accreditation committee just skip the effing middle man and just sell us our JDs directly for $120K by mail?

Cooley actually phoned the Cracker Jack people and asked if they could include a JD as a "prize" inside every box, but they said it wouldn't work since everyone already has one.

Shit, my friend is a Cracker Jack vendor at Yankee Stadium, and he has a JD & NY/CT bar admission. Seriously.

prezidentv8

Postby prezidentv8 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:38 pm

areyouinsane wrote:

Cooley actually phoned the Cracker Jack people and asked if they could include a JD as a "prize" inside every box, but they said it wouldn't work since everyone already has one.

Shit, my friend is a Cracker Jack vendor at Yankee Stadium, and he has a JD & NY/CT bar admission. Seriously.

FWIW, the actual work environment sounds much better than most places.

FloridaGirl

Postby FloridaGirl » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:43 pm

I grew up in Riverview, FL. It's a tiny place. I'm trying to figure out where they found a 130,000 square foot facility.

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:46 pm

FloridaGirl wrote:I grew up in Riverview, FL. It's a tiny place. I'm trying to figure out where they found a 130,000 square foot facility.

--LinkRemoved--

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:52 pm

f7 wrote:What could possibly go wrong?

Personally, I think it's a new Hall of Justice.

--ImageRemoved--

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:55 pm

Riverview =/= Miami?

Though that building is pretty awesome

ResolutePear

Postby ResolutePear » Tue Aug 09, 2011 3:56 pm

NYC Law wrote:Riverview =/= Miami?

Just saying, you can always make more sqft.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:05 pm

ResolutePear wrote:
NYC Law wrote:Riverview =/= Miami?

Just saying, you can always make more sqft.

Gotcha. I just can't stop thinking about this sporadically and thinking how fucked up it is. I'm from Tampa so this is a little close to home, I'm sure some retards I went to high school with will end up attending.

Nicholas Nickleby

Postby Nicholas Nickleby » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:17 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:So we're mad at the ABA for allowing an already for-profit school the opportunity to make more profit? :wink:

"Cooley, a nonprofit 501(c)(3) Michigan educational corporation..."
http://www.cooley.edu/newsevents/2011/0 ... ampus.html

buckilaw

Postby buckilaw » Tue Aug 09, 2011 4:26 pm

You would think that whatever agency decides that Cooley is a non-profit would be at least somewhat supicious of their business model. Or w/e the appropriate term is for a non-profit.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”