Website for sharing notes and outlines

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jodubs
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby jodubs » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:37 am

I am curious to hear some more opinions on this..

Would you be more encouraged to post outlines if you didn't have to identify school/professor?
Would you be less encouraged using an outline not tailored to your professor?
Would posting anonymously change your opinion at all?

As a side note, I've added the ability to browse by class, professor or school.

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:47 am

jodubs wrote:I am curious to hear some more opinions on this..

Would you be more encouraged to post outlines if you didn't have to identify school/professor?
Would you be less encouraged using an outline not tailored to your professor?
Would posting anonymously change your opinion at all?

As a side note, I've added the ability to browse by class, professor or school.



I think they should all be posted by book. No school, no professor. Just my opinion though. The professor school thing is helpful, but my argument is the same as with the grade thing. The outline should just be a base...

User avatar
SilverE2
Posts: 931
Joined: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:04 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby SilverE2 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:59 am

Aqualibrium wrote:
jodubs wrote:I am curious to hear some more opinions on this..

Would you be more encouraged to post outlines if you didn't have to identify school/professor?
Would you be less encouraged using an outline not tailored to your professor?
Would posting anonymously change your opinion at all?

As a side note, I've added the ability to browse by class, professor or school.



I think they should all be posted by book. No school, no professor. Just my opinion though. The professor school thing is helpful, but my argument is the same as with the grade thing. The outline should just be a base...


But what material the professors choose to focus on is so variable...outlines not keyed to particular professors would be about as useful as buying a commercial outline. Wouldn't we want this to be more useful than that?

Aqualibrium
Posts: 2011
Joined: Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:57 am

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby Aqualibrium » Mon Aug 08, 2011 1:34 am

SilverE2 wrote:
Aqualibrium wrote:
jodubs wrote:I am curious to hear some more opinions on this..

Would you be more encouraged to post outlines if you didn't have to identify school/professor?
Would you be less encouraged using an outline not tailored to your professor?
Would posting anonymously change your opinion at all?

As a side note, I've added the ability to browse by class, professor or school.



I think they should all be posted by book. No school, no professor. Just my opinion though. The professor school thing is helpful, but my argument is the same as with the grade thing. The outline should just be a base...


But what material the professors choose to focus on is so variable...outlines not keyed to particular professors would be about as useful as buying a commercial outline. Wouldn't we want this to be more useful than that?



I agree and disagree. With outlines keyed to a specific book, all the basic info is there. For example, I got a health law outline from outline depot that was keyed to the book my professor used, but not to my professor (this professor had never even taught before). The outline covered every chapter of the book except one. My professor didn't cover one of the chapters that the outline covered, and also covered one of the chapters that the outline didn't cover. I simply took notes in comment boxes for each heading and case in the outline to emphasize what the slant my professor took on things. My weekly review entailed me working my comments into the outline itself. I removed the stuff that we didn't need, added the stuff that needed to be. Probably saved myself 60+ hours of work by having something that was a base of everything that could possibly be covered in that book, and ended up with a finished product that was uniquely my own.

When an outline covers the book, there just isn't that far your professor can go away from there. Anything he adds or takes away can easily be accounted for by you. You aren't supposed to take the outline, unedited into an exam with you (in fact, many schools outright ban this in their honor codes). It's not supposed to be something you can just read over and know the whole class from without paying attention to your professor for yourself. That's why I think it's unnecessary to have more than a designation of what book the outline follows. A good outline covers each case, note cases,and problems in a book with sufficient detail (but not too much) so as to give you a solid base to work from.

Maybe make the prof and school optional?

User avatar
Lycurgus
Posts: 52
Joined: Sun Jun 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby Lycurgus » Mon Aug 08, 2011 10:47 am

I like what you are doing here and look forward to using and contributing.

User avatar
Heartford
Posts: 430
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 9:02 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby Heartford » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:35 am

Re: the privacy issue I raised- I might feel more comfortable submitting an outline with my school and professor info if I went to a school like GULC, NU, or Fordham where there are a fair amount of TLSers. It would be easier to remain anon if I weren't (probably) the only one from my school uploading stuff.

So I guess what I'm saying is maybe I'm in the minority in being afraid that professors/classmates/school staff would identify me. I certainly understand why having school and professor info attached to each outline would make them more useful.

User avatar
crumpetsandtea
Posts: 7156
Joined: Thu Jun 17, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby crumpetsandtea » Mon Aug 15, 2011 6:43 pm

Awesome.

User avatar
brickman
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:59 am

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby brickman » Mon Aug 15, 2011 8:37 pm

bump because it's the last great hope.

tipler4213
Posts: 634
Joined: Thu May 29, 2008 11:16 am

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby tipler4213 » Mon Aug 15, 2011 9:00 pm

I am a fan

User avatar
Law Sauce
Posts: 923
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 2:21 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby Law Sauce » Mon Aug 15, 2011 11:46 pm

This is looking great

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby Bronte » Tue Aug 16, 2011 12:00 am

Very impressive. I uploaded all my outlines. However, they're not showing up under "My Account," where it still says zero submissions. However, they are showing up here: --LinkRemoved--.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby spleenworship » Tue Aug 16, 2011 10:51 pm

lzyovrachievr wrote:Cool idea, thanks.

User avatar
SisyphusHappy
Posts: 173
Joined: Wed Jun 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby SisyphusHappy » Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:34 am

This is wonderful. I'll be sharing after this semester.

jodubs
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby jodubs » Sat Aug 20, 2011 2:02 pm

Thanks for all the recent submissions. Having not checked the page in a while due to orientation, I was about to write it off until I just now saw a bunch of submissions from some TLS users. Like I said earlier, this is a community resource and if there are any features you all want added or changed (within reason), let me know and I'll try to work it out.

User avatar
vpintz
Posts: 1408
Joined: Tue Jun 21, 2011 2:51 am

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby vpintz » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:18 pm

I'm a 0L, but I'm definitely bookmarking the site for future reference. Awesome idea. :]

morris248
Posts: 210
Joined: Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:30 am

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby morris248 » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:57 pm

Good site. Keep it up.

User avatar
dood
Posts: 1639
Joined: Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:59 am

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby dood » Sat Aug 20, 2011 5:59 pm

feel free to mine:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=82410

fingersxd
Posts: 643
Joined: Thu Jan 27, 2011 7:04 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby fingersxd » Sat Aug 20, 2011 7:34 pm

This is money. Thanks! I'll be sure to post when I've finished my own.

User avatar
spleenworship
Posts: 4421
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 11:08 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby spleenworship » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:09 am

fingersxd wrote:This is money. Thanks! I'll be sure to post when I've finished my own.

User avatar
itsirtou
Posts: 401
Joined: Tue Jan 05, 2010 10:05 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby itsirtou » Sun Aug 21, 2011 11:21 am

Nice! I'll post all my outlines from 1L year. Cool resource.

User avatar
I.P. Daly
Posts: 920
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 3:27 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby I.P. Daly » Sun Aug 21, 2011 3:01 pm


jodubs
Posts: 15
Joined: Tue May 17, 2011 11:04 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby jodubs » Mon Aug 22, 2011 12:00 am

I.P. Daly wrote:http://www.ilrg.com/students/outlines/


Looks like I've been 'Mr Skinned'

Anyway.. site is down while webhost migrates servers. Should be back up by tomorrow I'd imagine.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby Bronte » Mon Aug 22, 2011 9:41 am

jodubs wrote:
I.P. Daly wrote:http://www.ilrg.com/students/outlines/


Looks like I've been 'Mr Skinned'

Anyway.. site is down while webhost migrates servers. Should be back up by tomorrow I'd imagine.


Ilrg looks pretty TTT.

User avatar
brickman
Posts: 347
Joined: Mon Jun 29, 2009 2:59 am

Re: Website for sharing notes and outlines

Postby brickman » Thu Aug 25, 2011 8:22 am

let's see some more Epstein torts outlines, pahleez.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bigredbear, Yahoo [Bot] and 6 guests