Should I post this business practice on my resume?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
steubenville

Should I post this business practice on my resume?

Postby steubenville » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:29 pm

My chances at landing a firm job are extremely difficult. That is why I started to think about how I was able to pay down some of my law school loans this past year. Simply put, I resell sporting event tickets over the Internet. It fully complies with all laws, and I paid both federal and state taxes on income generated, yet "scalping" certainly carries a stigma with a lot of people, and is actually illegal in some states (again, not mine). If I put on my resume under "work experience" that I was able to make a significant amount of money doing this (factual), do you think it would help, hurt, or make no difference?

SeymourShowz

Re: Should I post this business practice on my resume?

Postby SeymourShowz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:38 pm

First off, I hate scalpers. But as long as you are not buying tickets to phish shows, I'll let it slide.

Do you have a name for this business? sole-proprietor? LLC? I think a business name and having formed an entity under which to conduct your business ads a good bit a legitimacy. It's cheap too. So yeah, I'd try to dress it up a bit, but it at least shows you have some ambition.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:31 pm

I'd put it in an Interests section rather than Work Experience

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:37 pm

Definite conversation starter.

Lawl Shcool

Postby Lawl Shcool » Tue Aug 09, 2011 11:45 am

SeymourShowz wrote:Do you have a name for this business? sole-proprietor? LLC? I think a business name and having formed an entity under which to conduct your business ads a good bit a legitimacy. It's cheap too. So yeah, I'd try to dress it up a bit, but it at least shows you have some ambition.

This. Make it look legit and give yourself a CEO title. It would definitely be a good interview conversation starter.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:40 pm

People like you are assholes. You purposely buy more tickets than you intend to use, wait for the market to dry up, then sell your tickets at inflated profits. You are a ticket scalper douchebag. Put that on your resume.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Tue Aug 09, 2011 1:43 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:People like you are assholes. You purposely buy more tickets than you intend to use, wait for the market to dry up, then sell your tickets at inflated profits. You are a ticket scalper douchebag. Put that on your resume.

Making them available at the true value to people who don't plan every game they will want to attend way in advance.

beardown_tho

Postby beardown_tho » Tue Aug 09, 2011 2:12 pm

NotMyRealName09 wrote:People like you are assholes. You purposely buy more tickets than you intend to use, wait for the market to dry up, then sell your tickets at inflated profits. You are a ticket scalper douchebag. Put that on your resume.

either the tickets go to the first person who is in line (your system)
or they go to whoever pays the most (his system)

i don't know that your system is vastly superior

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:55 am

Make it sound like a real company, like "ILikeToFuckPeopleOver, LLC".

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:05 pm

Why didn't the people whining just buy tickets when they came available at the announced price? Why should I feel sorry for the person who didn't care enough about the team to get tickets in advance?

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:20 pm

seatown12 wrote:Why didn't the people whining just buy tickets when they came available at the announced price? Why should I feel sorry for the person who didn't care enough about the team to get tickets in advance?

Because they can't. Ticketmaster and other companies set aside a massive amount of premium tickets for promotional and other use, and then ticket broker companies use software to overload ticket purchasing systems, or hire a ton of people to log on the instant they can and force everyone else out.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Wed Aug 10, 2011 3:37 pm

This guy is obviously not a massive ticket broker with system-cheating software.

Furthermore, I buy tickets all the time, including for premium events, so I know from experience that it is possible.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”