PLEASE THOSE WHO ARE/WERE GREAT AT 1L CONTRACTS. PLEASE HELP Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

PLEASE THOSE WHO ARE/WERE GREAT AT 1L CONTRACTS. PLEASE HELP

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:51 am

My final is in 2 days; my professor gave us the case (Walker v. Harrison) he is basing the final exam on. He told us he is going to mix certain facts around but in line with the case . I'm extremely nervous can someone please give me their opinion as to what they gather from the case; issues that I might not have spotted. Thanks in advance for the help. link for the case http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case? ... i=scholarr

NYC Law

Gold

Re: PLEASE THOSE WHO ARE/WERE GREAT AT 1L CONTRACTS. PLEASE HELP

Post by NYC Law » Thu Aug 04, 2011 12:57 am

Is this allowed?

Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:01 am

AHHHHHH NO. PLEASE DONT TELL ANYONE IF MY MOTHER KNEW SHE'D DISOWN ME :D

Kretzy

Silver

Post by Kretzy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:03 am

So you're a URM Latino who previously worked in the Kings County DA office enrolled in Cardozo's May Program. Sure hope this doesn't violate the honor code; bet there aren't many who fit your description...

/assistance from someone good at Contracts.

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:07 am

Is a question like this against a typical law school's honor code? Genuinely curious. The professor released the name of a relevant case ahead of time, so I would imagine discussing it with other students would be expected.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Corwin

Bronze

Post by Corwin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 1:21 am

Not a law student, but this case is listed in Perillo under Repudiation and Good Faith: "The prevailing view ... is that the test should be objective and that the good faith of the repudiator is immaterial." 76 documents cite the case, so it's probably worth reading through a few of those to see how it was used in the analysis. This passage from this article seems like a good starting point:
In probably the most-quoted line in material breach jurisprudence, the court in Walker & Co. v. Harrison' stated the potential risk assigned to the aggrieved party: [T]he injured party's determination that there has been a material breach, justifying his own repudiation, is fraught with peril, for should such determination, as viewed by a later court in the calm of its contemplation, be unwarranted, the repudiator himself will have been guilty of material breach and himself have become the aggressor, not an innocent victim.
Based on the above, the areas of contracts that you should be reviewing seem pretty clear. Finally, you should ignore this post because it's more certainly worthless and likely to lower your grade.

Diamond

Post by 20160810 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:45 am

Kretzy wrote:So you're a URM Latino who previously worked in the Kings County DA office enrolled in Cardozo's May Program. Sure hope this doesn't violate the honor code; bet there aren't many who fit your description...

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why you don't use tls to cheat on your finals.

I went ahead and locked the first post too, just in case op was thinking about editing it.

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Aug 04, 2011 9:48 am

Damn TLS, that is cold.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:06 am

SBL wrote:
Kretzy wrote:So you're a URM Latino who previously worked in the Kings County DA office enrolled in Cardozo's May Program. Sure hope this doesn't violate the honor code; bet there aren't many who fit your description...

And this, ladies and gentlemen, is why you don't use tls to cheat on your finals.

I went ahead and locked the first post too, just in case op was thinking about editing it.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:52 am

go ahead and lock it; as a matter of fact i already spoke to my professor. Look and re-read my post; I was just looking for a second look.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:52 am

It's not cold: it is a dose of the cold harsh truth. This post is pretty much cheating.

Your professor expects YOU to be able to spot the issues and develop your own legal reasoning based off of your ability to interpret the case.

I have a bear of a take home federal income tax final I am working on and it would be absolutely cheating to post on TLS to fill me in on any area of tax law at this point.

Your ability to do your own research is one of those lawyering skills you might want to consider developing.

kaiser

Gold

Post by kaiser » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:57 am

Ineedhelpplease wrote:My final is in 2 days; my professor gave us the case (Walker v. Harrison) he is basing the final exam on. He told us he is going to mix certain facts around but in line with the case . I'm extremely nervous can someone please give me their opinion as to what they gather from the case; issues that I might not have spotted. Thanks in advance for the help. link for the case http://scholar.google.com/scholar_case? ... i=scholarr
And how would that be fair to your classmates who sit down and research this on their own without being given tips from other people?

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:59 am

Why is asking on the Internet about a case any worse than reading about it in a supplement?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Aug 04, 2011 10:59 am

evilxs wrote:It's not cold: it is a dose of the cold harsh truth. This post is pretty muchcheating.
FTFY

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:01 am

Ineedhelpplease wrote: already spoke to my professor

Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:06 am

goodolgil wrote:Why is asking on the Internet about a case any worse than reading about it in a supplement?
Sort of what I was going for; now I admittingly am a 1L and did not consider this cheating because the question essays are going to change elements. I just wanted a better understanding of the actual case.

Now if you want to lock the post; keep it and print it; even shove it up your ass then I think you should go ahead.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:10 am

betasteve wrote:While I think there is a chance it is cheating... how are so many posters so sure it is cheating given that they know neither the exam instructions nor the school's honor code???
I was thinking this too, actually.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

kritarch

New

Post by kritarch » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:12 am

You know, it's just, cheating is when you do something you wouldn't in the open do -- I mean, no one would say giving the answers to the final isn't cheating, and this is pretty close to that, I mean, well, you know what? I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description of "cheating"; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the OP's post in this case is that.

vanwinkle

Platinum

Post by vanwinkle » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:13 am

kritarch wrote:You know, it's just, cheating is when you do something you wouldn't in the open do -- I mean, no one would say giving the answers to the final isn't cheating, and this is pretty close to that, I mean, well, you know what? I shall not today attempt further to define the kinds of material I understand to be embraced within that shorthand description of "cheating"; and perhaps I could never succeed in intelligibly doing so. But I know it when I see it, and the OP's post in this case is that.
Showoff.

evilxs

Bronze

Post by evilxs » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:26 am

goodolgil wrote:Why is asking on the Internet about a case any worse than reading about it in a supplement?
Having someone else do your legal reasoning and research vs. doing your own legal reasoning and research.

I see a big difference there.

The professor gave them the material so they would have time to do their own research and reasoning about that particular bit before applying it on the exam.

I see this post as the op asking us to do his work for him. Exam specific work.

If this post were made before he knew the exam subject material it would be different. Just my opinion though and we all know how that goes :lol:

Giddy-Up

Bronze

Post by Giddy-Up » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:26 am

If only you had asked this question 34 years earlier. The guy who wrote the opinion died in 1978. What a bummer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talbot_Smith

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Ineedhelpplease

Bronze

Post by Ineedhelpplease » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:30 am

Yeah that sucks; I would have paid him to cheat for me...OOOOPS I mean helped me analyze the case.

schooner

Bronze

Post by schooner » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:31 am

Aren't you worried that you'll get crappy (some deliberately so) advice? I mean, TLS can be fantastically helpful, but in this instance people seem really put-off by your request. (Prolly because it smacks of cheating and it makes you seem helpless & lazy, which invites scorn, etc. I think there are legitimate reasons for asking for academic help around here, but that kind of specific exam help is pushing it.)

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:58 am

schooner wrote:
Aren't you worried that you'll get crappy (some deliberately so) advice? I mean, TLS can be fantastically helpful, but in this instance people seem really put-off by your request. (Prolly because it smacks of cheating and it makes you seem helpless & lazy, which invites scorn, etc. I think there are legitimate reasons for asking for academic help around here, but that kind of specific exam help is pushing it.)
Hey, this is not "my" request!

LAWYER2

Silver

Post by LAWYER2 » Thu Aug 04, 2011 11:59 am

schooner wrote:
This.

A good lawyer should know how to word a question as to not reveal his intentions for asking
-Matlock circa 1992

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”