HELP!!! I'm an 0L and I'm starting tp pysch myself out

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Emma.

Re: HELP!!! I'm an 0L and I'm starting tp pysch myself out

Postby Emma. » Tue Aug 02, 2011 7:20 pm

thecilent wrote:Start gunning.

Lulz. This actually isn't the worst advice.

I had a moment of freaking out last summer before school started. In the end what helped me was picking up the CivPro E&E that a friend had loaned me for the year, and reading through a chapter. That's all I did, so it wasn't really gunning, but it reassured me that school wasn't going to be that bad. I think the fear of the unknown stuff is pretty scary, so it helped to have some idea about the kind of thing we'd be covering, even if it was only one chapter for one class.

billyez

Postby billyez » Tue Aug 02, 2011 9:38 pm

Freak out now, if you have to freak out. Better to do it now than later - specifically when you have to actually start caring about outlines and such.

Disappointment is also just a part of it. There are plenty of people that are going to be disappointed. Let it propel you to do better or find a way to deal with it. But there's little reason to psych yourself out about it. You're going to do well or you're not - accept that, try to change whatever you can at the margins, and then let it go.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:09 pm

hpfl121 wrote:Somebody please help me!! I'm so scared that I'm going to flunk out or drop out and disappoint everyone (my family, my gf, her family, my peers). They all have these high expectations of how i am supposed to perform, and I am so afraid that I am just going to let everybody down. What if I just can't make it??

I've worked so hard for this and now that school starts in two weeks I'm getting so nervous. I down know what to do to calm down. Maybe I should just go and see a movie or something. Is there anybody on here who can offer some advice to help assuage my fears and calm me down? PLEASE???

Focus your fear into energy, and use it to study. I was terrified of failing, and I didn't. You'd be abnormal if you weren't nervous.

Stay confident, believe that you have it more figured out than everyone else, and fuck everyone else.

Oh, and drinking occasionally helps. As does sex (regularly). And video games. Lots of video games. And have you heard of pot? I've heard it helps people relax, and that it is fun to do while playing video games.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:23 pm

lol you know those soccer players that miss penalty kicks? you can see the fear in their eyes before they step up to the plate. i can smell your cowardice a mile away. enjoy being in the bottom half of your class sucker

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Aug 02, 2011 11:44 pm

$1.99 wrote:lol you know those soccer players that miss penalty kicks? you can see the fear in their eyes before they step up to the plate. i can smell your cowardice a mile away. enjoy being in the bottom half of your class sucker

What about the guy who talks shit to cover up the fact that he wets the bed every night panicking over law school? Can you smell him, too?

firemed

Postby firemed » Wed Aug 03, 2011 12:09 am

$1.99 wrote:lol you know those soccer players that miss penalty kicks? you can see the fear in their eyes before they step up to the plate. i can smell your cowardice a mile away. enjoy being in the bottom half of your class sucker

This is an on topic forum. Your post seems very uncool to me.

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:23 am

beachbum wrote:

What about the guy who talks shit to cover up the fact that he wets the bed every night panicking over law school? Can you smell him, too?

lol you go to duke bud, don't talk

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:08 am

Always wanted an excuse to use this Image

DreamsInDigital

Postby DreamsInDigital » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:11 am

firemed wrote:

This is an on topic forum. Your post seems very uncool to me.

+1

and I'm right there with you OP. I move across the country on Sunday and am starting to really freak out. But I think there are two things we need to keep in mind:

1) as other people have said, you did something right to get to this point. So you will be fine if you put in a little work.

2) this seems to be a pretty common feeling so we shouldn't worry too much.

Naked Dude

Postby Naked Dude » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:11 am

hpfl121 wrote:Somebody please help me!! I'm so scared that I'm going to flunk out or drop out and disappoint everyone (my family, my gf, her family, my peers). They all have these high expectations of how i am supposed to perform, and I am so afraid that I am just going to let everybody down. What if I just can't make it??

I've worked so hard for this and now that school starts in two weeks I'm getting so nervous. I down know what to do to calm down. Maybe I should just go and see a movie or something. Is there anybody on here who can offer some advice to help assuage my fears and calm me down? PLEASE???

I know how you feel. I have had anxiety issues in the past. Just try to put things in perspective. Try to find some sort of INtrinsic motivation (Law school! Oh boy!) and downplay to EXtrinsic (Can't let family down!). You are who you are. Trust your judgment and your intelligence, it's all you have-know it and accept it. You might fail, you might be #1, you might get shot, stabbed, struck by lightning, hit by a bus. Do your best at what you can control and ignore the rest. Trust yourself, buckle down and let go. It's what I tell myself.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:29 am

I feel the same way but I am too cool to tell anyone.

ahduth

Postby ahduth » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:10 am

lawgod wrote:Everyone gets nervous. Just only some are brave enough to admit it.

I'm nervous, because people's paranoia makes me feel like I'm going to eat their lunch in school. Must not become overconfident.

thecilent

Postby thecilent » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:02 pm

ahduth wrote:
lawgod wrote:Everyone gets nervous. Just only some are brave enough to admit it.

I'm nervous, because people's paranoia makes me feel like I'm going to eat their lunch in school. Must not become overconfident.

:shock:

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Wed Aug 03, 2011 4:36 pm

$1.99 wrote:
beachbum wrote:

lol you go to duke bud, don't talk

I can't wait to read your scamblog.

Also, soccer sucks.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”