LaFave v Dressler Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
brickman

Bronze

LaFave v Dressler

Post by brickman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:33 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Criminal-Law-Horn ... BXQUTO8PNJ

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Cri ... BXQUTO8PNJ

who wins in this fight? Is it even fair to put a hornbook in opposition to Dressler? What is the supplement of choice for Crim?

Transferthrowaway

Silver

Re: LaFave v Dressler

Post by Transferthrowaway » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:36 pm

The decent looking high school teacher who slept with her student, hands down.

ns77770

Bronze

Post by ns77770 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:The decent looking high school teacher who slept with her student, hands down.
hahahah I see what you did there

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:44 pm

Dressler is the only supplement I have read in my law school lifetime and I thought it was very good. Professors love it. LaFave is kind of a genius, however... but mostly on Fourth Amendment matters, I don't know how great his crim supplement would be. His Fourth Amendment treatise is readable and brilliant but I have a feeling a LaFave-authored supplement might be a little nuanced for exam-studying purposes.

usuaggie

Silver

Post by usuaggie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:04 pm

i have read each, cover to cover. we were required to use lafave, but i got dressler because lafave rambles a lot. the teacher highly suggested we use lafave and not dressler. I'm glad I didn't listen. dressler is clear and explains things better. Where he and lafave differed, however, i memorized what lafave said.

I'd recommend dressler, but lafave wasn't horrible. the rest of my class absolutely hated lafave though.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

traydeuce

Silver

Post by traydeuce » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:21 pm

usuaggie wrote:i have read each, cover to cover. we were required to use lafave, but i got dressler because lafave rambles a lot. the teacher highly suggested we use lafave and not dressler. I'm glad I didn't listen. dressler is clear and explains things better. Where he and lafave differed, however, i memorized what lafave said.

I'd recommend dressler, but lafave wasn't horrible. the rest of my class absolutely hated lafave though.
That's what I imagined Lafave's supplement would be like. Such a smart guy, but he shouldn't be in the supplement-writing business. Very good, though, for academic purposes - or, if you're clerking/externing and are dealing with a tough case, thinking about what the law should say. But that's not what you want out of a supplement, actual reasoned discussion.

goodolgil

Silver

Post by goodolgil » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:14 pm

Had the Dressler casebook so the Dressler supplement was terrific. The outline of the supplement of the book on the Lexis site was pretty solid also: --LinkRemoved--

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”