LaFave v Dressler

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
brickman

LaFave v Dressler

Postby brickman » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:33 pm

http://www.amazon.com/Criminal-Law-Horn ... BXQUTO8PNJ

http://www.amazon.com/Understanding-Cri ... BXQUTO8PNJ

who wins in this fight? Is it even fair to put a hornbook in opposition to Dressler? What is the supplement of choice for Crim?

Transferthrowaway

Re: LaFave v Dressler

Postby Transferthrowaway » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:36 pm

The decent looking high school teacher who slept with her student, hands down.

ns77770

Postby ns77770 » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:39 pm

Transferthrowaway wrote:The decent looking high school teacher who slept with her student, hands down.

hahahah I see what you did there

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Sat Jul 30, 2011 8:44 pm

Dressler is the only supplement I have read in my law school lifetime and I thought it was very good. Professors love it. LaFave is kind of a genius, however... but mostly on Fourth Amendment matters, I don't know how great his crim supplement would be. His Fourth Amendment treatise is readable and brilliant but I have a feeling a LaFave-authored supplement might be a little nuanced for exam-studying purposes.

usuaggie

Postby usuaggie » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:04 pm

i have read each, cover to cover. we were required to use lafave, but i got dressler because lafave rambles a lot. the teacher highly suggested we use lafave and not dressler. I'm glad I didn't listen. dressler is clear and explains things better. Where he and lafave differed, however, i memorized what lafave said.

I'd recommend dressler, but lafave wasn't horrible. the rest of my class absolutely hated lafave though.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:21 pm

usuaggie wrote:i have read each, cover to cover. we were required to use lafave, but i got dressler because lafave rambles a lot. the teacher highly suggested we use lafave and not dressler. I'm glad I didn't listen. dressler is clear and explains things better. Where he and lafave differed, however, i memorized what lafave said.

I'd recommend dressler, but lafave wasn't horrible. the rest of my class absolutely hated lafave though.

That's what I imagined Lafave's supplement would be like. Such a smart guy, but he shouldn't be in the supplement-writing business. Very good, though, for academic purposes - or, if you're clerking/externing and are dealing with a tough case, thinking about what the law should say. But that's not what you want out of a supplement, actual reasoned discussion.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Sat Jul 30, 2011 10:14 pm

Had the Dressler casebook so the Dressler supplement was terrific. The outline of the supplement of the book on the Lexis site was pretty solid also: --LinkRemoved--

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”