YEAZELL's FRCP

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
brickman

YEAZELL's FRCP

Postby brickman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:50 pm

So I have this as a required supplement for CivPro, but is there a better FRCP that I should I look into or are they all pretty much the same. I have Yeazell's casebook too (i've heard it's not very good), so that would maybe affect suggestions.

Thoughts?

trey

Re: YEAZELL's FRCP

Postby trey » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:54 pm

This is the greatest supplement to the FRCP. Really helped me a lot.

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:57 pm

brickman wrote:So I have this as a required supplement for CivPro, but is there a better FRCP that I should I look into or are they all pretty much the same. I have Yeazell's casebook too (i've heard it's not very good), so that would maybe affect suggestions.

Thoughts?

The FRCP supplement that is required is a copy of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. It is not a supplement like you are thinking. You should get the copy of the Fed. R. Civ. Pro. that your professor recommends, if only because you will have the same page numbers, etc., as the syllabus. The Fed. R. Civ. Pro. will not "change" in a different supplement.

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:00 pm

5ky wrote:
brickman wrote:So I have this as a required supplement for CivPro, but is there a better FRCP that I should I look into or are they all pretty much the same. I have Yeazell's casebook too (i've heard it's not very good), so that would maybe affect suggestions.

Thoughts?

The FRCP supplement that is required is a copy of the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. It is not a supplement like you are thinking. You should get the copy of the Fed. R. Civ. Pro. that your professor recommends, if only because you will have the same page numbers, etc., as the syllabus. The Fed. R. Civ. Pro. will not "change" in a different supplement.

I wasn't thinking of it as a supplement like an E&E or anything like that, if that is what you thought I meant. Is the above:

http://www.google.com/products/catalog? ... ps-sellers

a good choice as a supplement to understand the FRCP?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:08 pm

I was answering your original question, which asked whether you should look into a different "FRCP." Perhaps you should clarify your question.

As for that book, I've never heard of it nor heard of anyone using it. I don't think it is necessary.

goodolgil

Postby goodolgil » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:27 pm

5ky wrote:I was answering your original question, which asked whether you should look into a different "FRCP." Perhaps you should clarify your question.

As for that book, I've never heard of it nor heard of anyone using it. I don't think it is necessary.

The supplement is keyed to the casebook in most cases. Thus, the FRCP Yezell supplement is keyed to the Civil Procedure casebook Yeazell wrote that I'm presuming you've also been assigned. This can be helpful for when the casebook refers you to the supplement (e.g. you're reading a case on Discovery and the casebook tells you to turn to page so-and-so in the supplement).

Anyway, all you really need (or at least all I needed) is a copy of the FRCP for the class. You could probably even get away with using the little pocket-sized versions Westlaw and Lexis give away. I ended up using the Yeazell book even though my class used the Friedenthal casebook (bought it by mistake). Didn't matter at all.
Last edited by goodolgil on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:28 pm

thanks all, v. helpful.

tww909

Postby tww909 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:34 pm

brickman wrote:thanks all, v. helpful.

i would hold off on buying any supplements until you've had a chance to see how you're doing with the material. i know lots of people who have a pile of 1L supplements they never used.

i got by just fine with the lexis FRCP pocket sized thing they give away. a buddy of mine had a book sized version and said it was easier to read, but wutevs.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:12 pm

oh goodness there's a lot of people who don't know what they are talking about in this thread. OP, what you have been assigned is the FRCP rule book which is attached to the Yeazell casebook; it's just all the rules of civil procedure, plus whatever new cases have come out since the most recent edition of the casebook. I would suggest getting the Yeazell rule book because it has a large font and has wide margins. Unlike some other FRCP rule books I've seen there's lots of space for margin notes. The size of the book makes it easier to navigate and use in general. Unlike the free pocket size westlaw version they will have at your school, the pages are labeled in the corner which makes flipping through to the correct rule easier.

You should get it. However, I will confirm what you have heard about the Yeazell casebook; it's fucking atrocious.

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:39 pm

Geist13 wrote:oh goodness there's a lot of people who don't know what they are talking about in this thread. OP, what you have been assigned is the FRCP rule book which is attached to the Yeazell casebook; it's just all the rules of civil procedure, plus whatever new cases have come out since the most recent edition of the casebook. I would suggest getting the Yeazell rule book because it has a large font and has wide margins. Unlike some other FRCP rule books I've seen there's lots of space for margin notes. The size of the book makes it easier to navigate and use in general. Unlike the free pocket size westlaw version they will have at your school, the pages are labeled in the corner which makes flipping through to the correct rule easier.

You should get it. However, I will confirm what you have heard about the Yeazell casebook; it's fucking atrocious.

just based on the casebook review, any good substantive supplement help you through civpro?

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:43 pm

brickman wrote:
Geist13 wrote:oh goodness there's a lot of people who don't know what they are talking about in this thread. OP, what you have been assigned is the FRCP rule book which is attached to the Yeazell casebook; it's just all the rules of civil procedure, plus whatever new cases have come out since the most recent edition of the casebook. I would suggest getting the Yeazell rule book because it has a large font and has wide margins. Unlike some other FRCP rule books I've seen there's lots of space for margin notes. The size of the book makes it easier to navigate and use in general. Unlike the free pocket size westlaw version they will have at your school, the pages are labeled in the corner which makes flipping through to the correct rule easier.

just based on the casebook review, any good substantive supplement help you through civpro?

A lot of people like the Glannon E&E. But it all depends on the way you prof teaches the class. If I had used Glannon, I would have been sunk. See if there's a copy in the library before you get it.

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:05 pm

Get the FRCP book your prof assigns. My prof got angry when people brought in the pocket sized one--they do not have all of the same things.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:06 pm

brickman wrote:

My civ pro mantra: always Freer; never Glannon

eandy

Postby eandy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:06 pm

Geist13 wrote:
brickman wrote:

The Freer one is great. Make sure you get second edition(the new one) because a lot of stuff has changed since the 2005 one.
edit: quote fail
Last edited by eandy on Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jkay

Postby jkay » Wed Jul 27, 2011 8:23 pm

Yeazell casebook, you say? Here's something you might find useful: http://www.macabelegal.com/yeazell.html

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:27 pm

eandy wrote:
Geist13 wrote:
brickman wrote:

The Freer one is great. Make sure you get second edition(the new one) because a lot of stuff has changed since the 2005 one.
edit: quote fail

His barbri lecture is also great for bringing the rules together. I credit that man with teaching me anything I know about civ pro.

brickman

Postby brickman » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:46 pm

I've seen some suggestions for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Procedure-H ... BXQUTO8PNJ

worth it or we goin' Freer all the way to the bank?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Wed Jul 27, 2011 9:54 pm

brickman wrote:I've seen some suggestions for this:

http://www.amazon.com/Civil-Procedure-H ... BXQUTO8PNJ

worth it or we goin' Freer all the way to the bank?

I swore by Friedenthal, but I imagine either one is fine.

brickman

Postby brickman » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:49 pm

Ha! Just got moved to a new section! good thing i didn't buy the book already.

Field's casebook, here i come.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sun Jul 31, 2011 1:20 am

Last edited by missinglink on Sat Aug 27, 2011 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DallasCowboy

Postby DallasCowboy » Mon Aug 01, 2011 2:40 pm

jkay wrote:Yeazell casebook, you say? Here's something you might find useful: http://www.macabelegal.com/yeazell.html

Manash

Postby Manash » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:28 pm

I'm in the same boat as OP. Only thing is my course requires the 2011 FRCP. Possible to get away with an earlier edition? I don't see any used 2011 versions floating around.

Cupidity

Postby Cupidity » Tue Aug 02, 2011 4:30 pm

Manash wrote:I'm in the same boat as OP. Only thing is my course requires the 2011 FRCP. Possible to get away with an earlier edition? I don't see any used 2011 versions floating around.

No.

Edit- Probably won't matter, don't buy it either way.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”