when to apply to smaller for firms for 2l summer?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
trey

when to apply to smaller for firms for 2l summer?

Postby trey » Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:01 am

I've sent out a whole bunch of resumes to smaller firms (think 25-50 lawyers) for next summer (after my 2l year) and most are saying I should send my resume again in the spring or just not answering. TLS wisdom though has said that now is the time to apply. Is it too early for smaller firms or should I wait a few weeks/months?

random5483

Re: when to apply to smaller for firms for 2l summer?

Postby random5483 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:22 am

Now is the time to apply for big law. Some smaller firms start there application process now as well; however, many of them wait till the Spring. Big firms want the best talent and they want to hire earlier to beat the others to that talent. Law schools want the best opportunities for there students so they start OCI earlier each year to give there students an edge. Overall, big law hiring (through 2L SA program) is getting earlier each year.

Smaller firms will rarely start hiring this early. Nor will many government agencies. Each has its own deadline and they likely are around September of this year (federal government) through April or so of next year (smaller firms). With that said, you need to do individualized research (website, email or call) to find out there application windows.

Even for non-OCI big law, you might be a little early. Some firms will not accept applications till sometime in August. However, pretty much all big law firms open there application window either in July or August.

Gemini

Postby Gemini » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:25 am

random5483 wrote:Now is the time to apply for big law. Some smaller firms start there application process now as well; however, many of them wait till the Spring. Big firms want the best talent and they want to hire earlier to beat the others to that talent. Law schools want the best opportunities for there students so they start OCI earlier each year to give there students an edge. Overall, big law hiring (through 2L SA program) is getting earlier each year.

Smaller firms will rarely start hiring this early. Nor will many government agencies. Each has its own deadline and they likely are around September of this year (federal government) through April or so of next year (smaller firms). With that said, you need to do individualized research (website, email or call) to find out there application windows.

Even for non-OCI big law, you might be a little early. Some firms will not accept applications till sometime in August. However, pretty much all big law firms open there application window either in July or August.

You CANNOT seem to distinguish there from their.

random5483

Postby random5483 » Thu Jul 28, 2011 3:15 am

I don't double check my grammar when posting here. In my defense I made that post early in the morning. With that said, I am sure I make plenty of grammatical errors on these forums.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”