Fit of the suit (male)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
yngblkgifted

Re: Fit of the suit (male)

Postby yngblkgifted » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:26 pm

chimp wrote:Which is TCR?

--ImageRemoved--

These actually both look kind of stupid to me.

Oooh Oooh Pick Me! The one to the right is the credited answer!

badwithpseudonyms

Postby badwithpseudonyms » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:29 pm

Justathought wrote:I like the Fitzgerald from BB. The fit is slim, but not Thom Browne over the top(though I do like Thom Browne for occasions outside of work), and the tailoring at BB is great/free; unless you have extensive jacket work done, then there is a minimal charge. I wear a 38/32 and it fits fantastic. Plus, if you go when there is a sale, you can get one for around $630; a very solid price for a high quality item.

So I say go to BB, grab a Fitzgerald, and call it a day. You really can't go wrong with that suit.

P.S. Just make sure they tailor the pant length properly. Don't let them talk you into extra fabric around the ankles; you want a tiny amount of sock showing.

I like the Fitzgerald fit. I get that for most middle-class folks BB is stock business casual, but for a lot of people dropping $500+ on a suit is tough (self included), but I'm going to +1 this as it's an investment that will last years. If you can't afford that sort of hit all at once though, I'd suggest going to a department store (e.g. Macys, Belk, Nordstrom) and opening a credit card.

Verity

Postby Verity » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:30 pm

I vote zoot suit.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Mon Jul 25, 2011 4:57 pm

Brooks is clearly TCR for interview suits. Navy blue fitz and never ever have to worry about whether your suit is "correct" for an interview.

thesealocust

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:29 pm

badwithpseudonyms wrote:
Justathought wrote:I like the Fitzgerald from BB. The fit is slim, but not Thom Browne over the top(though I do like Thom Browne for occasions outside of work), and the tailoring at BB is great/free; unless you have extensive jacket work done, then there is a minimal charge. I wear a 38/32 and it fits fantastic. Plus, if you go when there is a sale, you can get one for around $630; a very solid price for a high quality item.

So I say go to BB, grab a Fitzgerald, and call it a day. You really can't go wrong with that suit.

P.S. Just make sure they tailor the pant length properly. Don't let them talk you into extra fabric around the ankles; you want a tiny amount of sock showing.

I like the Fitzgerald fit. I get that for most middle-class folks BB is stock business casual, but for a lot of people dropping $500+ on a suit is tough (self included), but I'm going to +1 this as it's an investment that will last years. If you can't afford that sort of hit all at once though, I'd suggest going to a department store (e.g. Macys, Belk, Nordstrom) and opening a credit card.

Veyron wrote:Brooks is clearly TCR for interview suits. Navy blue fitz and never ever have to worry about whether your suit is "correct" for an interview.

Yep, BB Fitzgerald is the shit. A ton of money at this stage, but worth it IMO. I love the hell out of the suits I've gotten from BB (gogo gadget summer sales).

jkay

Postby jkay » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:07 pm

Heartford wrote:This guy totally looks like a lawyer, though: Image

The reason this looks bad is because of the lack of tie, lack of belt*, bunched of sleeves, terrible haircut, and emo grimace.

My guess is this suit actually fits this hyper-emo skinny chick pretty well.

* These pants might not have belt loops which I would actually agree is too fashion-forward for an interview suit.

/dude who doesn't own black shoes

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:25 pm

jkay wrote:
Heartford wrote:This guy totally looks like a lawyer, though: Image

The reason this looks bad is because of the lack of tie, lack of belt*, bunched of sleeves, terrible haircut, and emo grimace.

My guess is this suit actually fits this hyper-emo skinny chick pretty well.

* These pants might not have belt loops which I would actually agree is too fashion-forward for an interview suit.

/dude who doesn't own black shoes

I agree that this suit, properly worn, would likely be fine. I think the pants might be a bit too tailored for my liking, however.

Heartford

Postby Heartford » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:48 pm

5ky wrote:

I agree that this suit, properly worn, would likely be fine. I think the pants might be a bit too tailored for my liking, however.

Let's be serious for just a moment: Aren't those basically women's pants?

5ky

Postby 5ky » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:56 pm

Heartford wrote:
5ky wrote:

Let's be serious for just a moment: Aren't those basically women's pants?

No, that person just have very, very skinny legs, and the pants are supposed to complement that. They aren't any more slim than the suit pants for J.Crew's Ludlow suit, though that particular cut is too fashion-forward for an interview/the workplace.

http://www.jcrew.com/mens_feature/weartoworkshop/suiting/PRDOVR~43967/43967.jsp

GeePee

Postby GeePee » Tue Jul 26, 2011 1:39 am

thesealocust wrote:
badwithpseudonyms wrote:

Veyron wrote:Brooks is clearly TCR for interview suits. Navy blue fitz and never ever have to worry about whether your suit is "correct" for an interview.

Yep, BB Fitzgerald is the shit. A ton of money at this stage, but worth it IMO. I love the hell out of the suits I've gotten from BB (gogo gadget summer sales).

I have a Navy Fitzgerald and a Charcoal Madison and they're both great suits. If you can find your size at a BB Factory, you'll be in even better shape.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”