Two classes too little for fall semester?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
dusk2k2

Two classes too little for fall semester?

Postby dusk2k2 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:12 pm

I am in a position to take a journal, clinic, and a TA position which would equal 6 credits all together. I would then be in a position to take only two actual real subject classes which would equal 7 credits (4 and 3 credits respectively). I would have a total of 13 credits.

Is this too few classes to take heading into OCI? Could this be a concern to employers?

missinglink

Re: Two classes too little for fall semester?

Postby missinglink » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:32 pm

dusk2k2 wrote:I am in a position to take a journal, clinic, and a TA position which would equal 6 credits all together. I would then be in a position to take only two actual real subject classes which would equal 7 credits (4 and 3 credits respectively). I would have a total of 13 credits.

Is this too few classes to take heading into OCI? Could this be a concern to employers?

As long as you meet the minimum units required I can't see it being a problem.

Journal is good, clinics are good. Just because you aren't in a large lecture class doesn't mean you aren't learning.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:54 pm

Minimizing classes is the single best thing you can do. Classes will teach you less than just about every other thing you could do such as clinics, journals, practicums, etc. will all teach you more. As a 1L SA I can honestly say I have used absolutely nothing I have learned in any of my classes this year.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 4:25 am

BarbellDreams wrote:As a 1L SA I can honestly say I have used absolutely nothing I have learned in any of my classes this year.

I'm sure this holds true in some situations, depending on what kind of work you're doing, but I've used a lot of info from my classes this year. Particularly info from Ks.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sun Jul 24, 2011 8:59 am

smokyroom26 wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:As a 1L SA I can honestly say I have used absolutely nothing I have learned in any of my classes this year.

I'm sure this holds true in some situations, depending on what kind of work you're doing, but I've used a lot of info from my classes this year. Particularly info from Ks.

+1 and, unfortunately, Civ Pro.

BarbellDreams

Postby BarbellDreams » Sun Jul 24, 2011 9:22 am

MBZags wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:

The point is you will always learn more job skills in the field than in the classroom. If you want to be a DA, its difficult to debate that doing a Criminal Law practicum is going to give you more (not to mention make your resume look better) than your Crim class.

MBZags

Postby MBZags » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:16 am

BarbellDreams wrote:
The point is you will always learn more job skills in the field than in the classroom. If you want to be a DA, its difficult to debate that doing a Criminal Law practicum is going to give you more (not to mention make your resume look better) than your Crim class.

True that.

lawgod

Postby lawgod » Sun Jul 24, 2011 11:21 am

smokyroom26 wrote:

As have I. Particularly Ks.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:56 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:
MBZags wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:

Agreed.

dusk2k2

Postby dusk2k2 » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:25 pm

I guess my main concern was that Biglaw firms might have a problem with only taking two "real" classes. I guess that shouldn't factor in though.

What about if I'd like to clerk in the future?

DaveBear07

Postby DaveBear07 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:10 pm

This thread is relevant to my interests.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”