LLM Classes

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DrumminD21311

LLM Classes

Postby DrumminD21311 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:53 pm

My school offers an LLM in Business Transactions that I can earn while I'm still studying for a JD. It seems like it would be foolish not to go ahead and get the LLM while I'm here, or would it not be? I don't know anything about LLMs. Are the classes insanely hard? Is it worthless?

Only nice people are allowed to comment on my threat, no bitter dbags.

CanadianWolf

Re: LLM Classes

Postby CanadianWolf » Thu Jul 21, 2011 11:56 pm

LLM classes often are taught by adjunct professors who actively practice in that subject area. The classes are not harder, just more practical. Most LLM degrees are in the area of taxation.

Are you willing to share the name of the law school ?

Without specific knowledge of your LLM course of study & your career plans, it is difficult to assess the value.

DrumminD21311

Postby DrumminD21311 » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:54 am

It is at Alabama. We already have an LL.M. in Taxation program, and an LL.M Concentration in Business Transactions was just added. I have no interest in the tax program, but would be open to business transactions. I assume it would be of low value since it's new, is online, and not a top top tier school. I actually prefer online classes though, and the value argument is different for me than the traditional LL.M inquirer, because as far I understand (and I may be wrong), I would not have to pay anything extra and would not have to spend any more time in school. The classes would count towards my J.D. degree.

If the LL.M adds ANY additional value to my resume or earning potential, it seems like it would be a good way to go. If it doesn't, then I would want to spend my time studying more "enjoyable" subjects.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:03 am

It may add some value in the eyes of some employers. Regardless of the additional degree, a concentration in "business transactions" is worthwhile if intending to practice in that area.

Seems as if the internet course is primarily designed to satisfy state bar continuing legal education requirements with minimal disruption to practicing attorneys. UA law could capture a significant portion of attorneys' continuing education dollars by making the continuing education a degree program rather than random courses in various subject areas. It is a convenient revenue generator for the law school while saving attorneys valuable time & substantial travel expenditures.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”