OS X Lion + ExamSoft Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
florentine

Bronze

OS X Lion + ExamSoft

Post by florentine » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:05 pm

Does anyone know if ExamSoft will be supporting Lion in the near future or should I hold off in getting Lion? Thanks!

ColomboHeat

New

Re: OS X Lion + ExamSoft

Post by ColomboHeat » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:16 pm

I'm also wondering if buying a Macbook Air for school this year would be a mistake (Lion is pre-installed on the new ones out today) :?

Anonymous Loser

Silver

Post by Anonymous Loser » Wed Jul 20, 2011 4:22 pm

Not sure about the future, but as for the July administration of my state's bar exam, no Lion support is available.
Examsoft wrote:Dear Applicant,

We are writing to share two important messages with you, as you prepare to take your exam.

First, as you may have heard, Apple announced that they will be releasing a new operating system, called Mac OSX Lion, sometime in July. The specific date still has not been revealed. Given that this release will be happening just shortly before, during, or perhaps even after, the bar exam, we will NOT be supporting Mac OS X Lion for this exam. As noted in our minimum system requirements, the Mac operating systems we support are the currently prevalent ones, MAC OS X 10.5.8 or 10.6 (Leopard or Snow Leopard). It is very important that if you intend to use your laptop for this exam, do not install Lion on your laptop or attempt to use a laptop that has come preinstalled with it. SofTest will NOT run under Mac OS X Lion and you will have to handwrite all of your exam sessions.

florentine

Bronze

Post by florentine » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:02 pm

Talked to a person on ExamSoft's Live Chat and the person said an update will be available in about a month.

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:37 pm

florentine wrote:Talked to a person on ExamSoft's Live Chat and the person said an update will be available in about a month.
Nice!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Bronze

Post by 23402385985 » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:42 pm

For the record, it's easy to revert to Snow Leopard from Lion if the software was't updated.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread. ... 312&page=2

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:54 am

Apparently federal law requires that all educational software must run on operating systems at no more recent than two versions behind. So break out your old XP and Leopard discs. I'd go with Windows 95 or System 7 just to be safe.

But seriously, literally no excuse for there not to be compatibility by December. I will drop out I swear. OK I won't. But come on-I should be able to keep my fucking computer up to date without having to worry about this shit. I understand they need to make sure they have some backwards compatibility, but there is literally no excuse for a developer not to update their software to be compatible with a new operating system in a timely fashion. At least not any software company worth a damn.

Lycurgus

New

Post by Lycurgus » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:09 pm

I just bought a new macbook air. I emailed the people at exam soft and they said they expect to be on board with OS X Lion by mid August well before we will be taking any exams.

The mac air is kinda weak sauce but I've never had a mac before. But in terms of exam soft it should be fine.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:15 pm

Yay, this is good news! I am waiting for my 13inch to come. Anyone else think this is the absolute perfect computer for school?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:45 pm

jaydizzle wrote:Yay, this is good news! I am waiting for my 13inch to come. Anyone else think this is the absolute perfect computer for school?
I plan to get the 13in mbpro. Not sure which one to go with though...

Heartford

Bronze

Post by Heartford » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:50 pm

Lycurgus wrote: The mac air is kinda weak sauce but I've never had a mac before. But in terms of exam soft it should be fine.
Really? I wish I had bought a macbook air instead of a macbook pro- there's absolutely no reason you need to have any more computing power than you get with the air, since all you need for law school is MS Office and a web browser. The air is light, which is a huge benefit since you'll be hauling it everywhere.

(I don't want to turn this into another law school computer thread, but anyone who's considering buying a pro instead of a cheaper mac model is wasting their money)

starlight007

New

Post by starlight007 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:06 pm

I haven't taken the plunge yet but which one? Pro vs. Air? The other thread seems Thinkpad/gamer oriented. I love the air, but the few usb ports and no optical drive rattles me...

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:31 pm

I have a 15" macbook pro that I bought in 2008 with an SSD and it runs starts up faster, runs faster and is really quiet.

I really wish I had a good excuse to get the new macbook air.

I wonder if the MBA's screen is as bright is as the pro. I know the resolution is the same.

Check out the results with the i7 processor.
http://gizmodo.com/5823364/the-13+inch- ... acbook-pro.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

mpj_3050

Bronze

Post by mpj_3050 » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:47 pm

What are your experiences with Lion? I'm an incoming student with the Snow Leopard OS and am wondering if I should get Lion. Concerned about any problems it is having.

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Sat Jul 23, 2011 7:52 pm

mpj_3050 wrote:What are your experiences with Lion? I'm an incoming student with the Snow Leopard OS and am wondering if I should get Lion. Concerned about any problems it is having.

Wait up until ExamSoft works on Lion. I will let you know about Lion when my Fedex delivers my Air. :)

Don't let the optical drive sway you guys. You can get an external dvd burner for about $30 or less now a days on Newegg. The screen is as bright as the pro. I have compared them side by side. If you get the high resolution screen you get more pixels on the 15 inch pro. You wouldn't want that many pixels on the 13 inch anyway as text would be too small to read. The screen on the 13 inch pro is very low resolution and surprisingly has not been updated by Apple in the last 2011 update.

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:12 pm

Does the air have a glossy or anti-glare screen?

jaydizzle

Silver

Post by jaydizzle » Sat Jul 23, 2011 8:39 pm

drmguy wrote:Does the air have a glossy or anti-glare screen?
It is a glossy screen, but the screen itself apparently is not glass. Unlike traditional laptops, it won't look like a mirror. Have a look at the apple store, the screen is very different from the macbook pros. I really like it. It's like having a matte screen but with the benefits of a glossy one.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

drmguy

Silver

Post by drmguy » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:36 pm

What would it take for one of you to take on an additional 1,500 of debt? ie. what about your laptop would justify buying a new one?

booboo

Silver

Post by booboo » Sun Jul 24, 2011 3:38 pm

Dual boot Windows until it's supported?

/thread

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Sun Jul 24, 2011 5:58 pm

Nah fuck that booboo. I'd sooner reinstall snow leopard for the exam than pay money for windows. If I could run ExamSoft through Parallels, maybe. Like I said, there's literally no excuse for them not to support Lion by exam time.

Perch

Silver

Post by Perch » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:36 pm

Went to the apple store today and was told I could get a MBP with snow leopard on it and then a redemption code for lion. Part of me thinks I should do this until ExamSoft configures it for lion, while part thinks it's better to get the new computer with the software preloaded?

Any input as to if it matters if an OS is originally installed on the machine vs added later via download? Sorry if this question makes no sense.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

0LNOOB

New

Post by 0LNOOB » Sat Aug 13, 2011 11:53 am

Perch wrote:Went to the apple store today and was told I could get a MBP with snow leopard on it and then a redemption code for lion. Part of me thinks I should do this until ExamSoft configures it for lion, while part thinks it's better to get the new computer with the software preloaded?

Any input as to if it matters if an OS is originally installed on the machine vs added later via download? Sorry if this question makes no sense.
I did the exact same thing, and the guy at the apple store said it was no different...of course, he was obviously just trying to sell me a computer, so take that advice for what it's worth.

missinglink

Silver

Post by missinglink » Sat Aug 13, 2011 1:08 pm

In theory, adding the new OS on top of the old one should be functionally the same as a fresh install.

In practice, I prefer the latter.

But if you did the former, I think you should be fine. If you start noticing any problems in the future, you can always wipe+install.

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:17 pm

I wouldn't be too worried about Lion compatibility.

What I would be worried about is using a MBA for a mission-critical application, like finals. Just saying.

sidhesadie

Bronze

Post by sidhesadie » Sat Aug 13, 2011 3:31 pm

Perch wrote:Went to the apple store today and was told I could get a MBP with snow leopard on it and then a redemption code for lion. Part of me thinks I should do this until ExamSoft configures it for lion, while part thinks it's better to get the new computer with the software preloaded?

This is what I did, since my school has a 2 week 'intro' class with a final at the end of it (so, at the end of August) and I don't trust examsoft to have the update by then.
I have a regular macbook, not the air or pro. I'll wait to upgrade to Lion till ExamSoft supports it for sure.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”