Legal Textbooks on Kindle?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ZFB

Legal Textbooks on Kindle?

Postby ZFB » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:21 am

I'm curious if any of you have had books for classes that were also available on the kindle. Especially now that Amazon is offering the textbook rental. If you've got your list for next semester, check and see if any are available in ebook format. If even one book per course were available that way it would say a lot of weight.

evilxs

Re: Legal Textbooks on Kindle?

Postby evilxs » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:01 pm

Just supplements so far for me. You can get some that way and have it everywhere you go.

nymario

Postby nymario » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:24 pm

Be careful though, a lot of my exams are open book, but no electronic devices. I loved that I could read my property casebook on my laptop (Adobe Digital Editions license for 1 year) -- but I'm glad I had my physical copy at exam time. This can probably be mitigated if you can check out a copy from the library, but it's still something you may want to keep in mind.

That said, I buy nearly everything (whether its a supplement or something I want to read in general) for Kindle and read it on my Ipad Kindle app.

eandy

Postby eandy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:41 pm

my property professor made his own book--so it was available to us electronically for free or we could pay 10 dollars for a printed version. Electronic sucks. You need to be able to mark up your book. It also much easier to flip through a printed version than an electronic version when you are looking for something in class or when you are outlining. I also found it easier to remember stuff I had read printed than what I read on a screen.
In addition, yeah, good luck using your electronic version on an exam.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:14 pm

I asked a prof about this. She said it wasn't a good idea, and retrospectively, I'm inclined to agree.

ZFB

Postby ZFB » Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:22 pm

Gotcha, good to know. Guess we're still a few years from that. Can't imagine things won't go that direction, though....hopefully.

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Sat Jul 23, 2011 4:01 am

I think I'd need an actual casebook to write and underline .. unfortunately given the weight.

But, having just bought and rooted a Nook Color, I've been considering buying a couple supplements on Kindle. At least some of the credited Tax supplements (Chirelstein, the E&E), are available on Kindle.

Has anyone done this? Inherently, I can't see a problem. My E&E's are never touched - no highlighting, etc - and it would save me a bit of weight. To save on weight for textbooks, I usually get them cut and punched, and then take what I need that day in a binder. It absolutely kills the resale value, but saves my back. Tradeoffs.

Oddly enough, the adoption of Kindle editions isn't universal. For some reason the Evidence E&E isn't available on Kindle yet.

Riles246

Postby Riles246 » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:51 am

I'm not a highlighter/underliner - my books are as clean as the day they were printed when I'm done with them. As a result, I'd LOVE to have electronic textbooks. I had the one Property book that was electronic on the laptop, and that exam was closed book anyway, so I really could have gotten away with electronic only. Too bad you have to buy the print book in order to get the code to access the electronic book.

I spent most of the semester reading the electronic instead of the hardcopy since I'm a train commuter, and it didn't hurt my grades at all- got an A.

So, in short, I love electronic books and wish they had more of them in lawschool. I'd love to carry one kindle instead of 40lbs of casebooks. But I will graduate long before that kind of tech is commonplace.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Tue Jul 26, 2011 11:52 am

eandy wrote:my property professor made his own book--so it was available to us electronically for free or we could pay 10 dollars for a printed version. Electronic sucks. You need to be able to mark up your book.

"Honey, what did you do to my Kindle?! This pink highlighter won't come off!"

LSATmakesMeNeurotic

Postby LSATmakesMeNeurotic » Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:28 pm

Has anyone come up with a way to get around the Kindle way of numbering pages? I hate that nothing corresponds to the actual page in the book. Not fun if you're trying to follow along in class. I also tried it with an arabic class, which in retrospect was probably a bad idea (the whole right to left thing isn't too compatible)

ruelA

Postby ruelA » Fri Mar 14, 2014 2:29 am

spam

Rotor

Postby Rotor » Fri Mar 14, 2014 3:34 am

For those worried about the weight, take your books to a campus print shop and have them cut the bindings and 3 hole punch the set. Put the big binders on the shelf and take only the readings you need for the day (or week) in a small one. I actually used a few of those plastic covers that you put your 8th grade English report in to make it look fancy. I had one for each class and I'd pull the readings for the week so could make good use of breaks between classes.

ETA: As a lover of books, I have to admit it was painful sending them to the guillotine the first time. After that, "OFF WITH THEIR SPINES!" The convenience was well worth it.
One other thing, I do not recommend this approach if you are renting the textbook. :mrgreen:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”