Orientation tips? Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
ran12

Silver

Re: Orientation tips?

Post by ran12 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:59 pm

rangers0412 wrote:best way to turn down study group invitations from those who seem like ritards?
Say you don't like studying with retards

dink3500

New

Post by dink3500 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:01 pm

teaadntoast wrote:Resist the temptation to hook up with one of your new section-mates.
Is that even possible?

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:06 pm

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:07 pm

rangers0412 wrote:best way to turn down study group invitations from those who seem like ritards?

Say you prefer to study alone.

IrwinM.Fletcher

Silver

Post by IrwinM.Fletcher » Tue Jul 19, 2011 7:45 pm

1. Wear a suit
2. Talk about TLS constantly
3. Talk about your LSAT almost as often as TLS
4. Tell bros you've got a smoking hot brazilian girlfriend
5. Tell hos you just broke up with your smoking hot brazilian ex-girlfriend
6. Sport some clear lens glasses
7. Wear said glasses halfway down your nose so that you HAVE to look down at people when conversing
8. Profit

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:08 pm

dink3500 wrote:
teaadntoast wrote:Resist the temptation to hook up with one of your new section-mates.
Is that even possible?
Are most law school girls even hot? I would think the majority are not.

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:13 pm

ran12 wrote:
dink3500 wrote:
Is that even possible?
Yep!

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:13 pm

ran12 wrote:
dink3500 wrote:
Is that even possible?
most law students, male and female, are not hot. thus, they're all in the same league as far as hook-ups are concerned.

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:14 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:
ran12 wrote:
dink3500 wrote:
Is that even possible?
Yep!
do tell! i need gossip.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ran12

Silver

Post by ran12 » Tue Jul 19, 2011 9:14 pm

f0bolous wrote:
ran12 wrote:
dink3500 wrote:
Is that even possible?
most law students, male and female, are not hot. thus, they're all in the same league as far as hook-ups are concerned.
good point

Hadlendale

New

Post by Hadlendale » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:54 am

The fact that you made this thread leads me to believe you only need one piece of advice: Think of whatever it is you normally do in social situations and do the opposite. Then you'll be fine.

Emma.

Gold

Post by Emma. » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:01 am

Hadlendale wrote:The fact that you made this thread leads me to believe you only need one piece of advice: Think of whatever it is you normally do in social situations and do the opposite. Then you'll be fine.
Lulz. Probably this, TBH.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:37 am

chem wrote:3 tips

name repetition, personality mirroring, and positive reinforcement with smiles and nods
I can imagine someone taking this too literally. So Mark Chapman, where did you do your undergrad Mark Chapman? Mark Chapman did you know a girl named Daisy, Mark? Mark what frat were you in Mark? Every time they raise or lower their cup, mirror that. Take a step back mirror that. Swing their hips mirror that...

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:39 am

Lieut Kaffee wrote:Honestly I don't think orientation has any more bearing on your law school social life than it does on your law school grades (in the latter case you rightly pointed out it's zero). Who your friends are is going to be determined naturally at early bar events, in section before and after class, etc. There is literally no reason to give this any thought. Just go through orientation and don't force anything, as that can only make you seem like a tool.
I tend to be uncomfortable in reception type atmospheres, or forced meet and greets where the pressures are to be aggressively social for a prolonged period of time, standing around like an idiot with crappy refreshments. I plan to go to early SBA bar nights and such so I can break the ice on a smaller scale and know people before I walk into a giant reception cold.

Naked Dude

Silver

Post by Naked Dude » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:42 am

eandy wrote:If you are invited out/to do something, do it. People who never hung out quickly got labeled as gunners/arrogant/etc.
Even beyond that, in undergrad and jobs I know I was only willing to invite randos once and early on. Once someone says no, I bond with other peoples and don't ask again for fear of being obnoxiously repetitious. I try to force myself to go out with a group (unless they seem really, really, really douchey) the first time or two I'm invited, so if I say no a week later, they see me as a guy they chilled with once or twice who was just busy as opposed to a guy who didn't want to get to know them.

Hannibal

Gold

Post by Hannibal » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:46 am

Naked Dude wrote:
eandy wrote:If you are invited out/to do something, do it. People who never hung out quickly got labeled as gunners/arrogant/etc.
Even beyond that, in undergrad and jobs I know I was only willing to invite randos once and early on. Once someone says no, I bond with other peoples and don't ask again for fear of being obnoxiously repetitious. I try to force myself to go out with a group (unless they seem really, really, really douchey) the first time or two I'm invited, so if I say no a week later, they see me as a guy they chilled with once or twice who was just busy as opposed to a guy who didn't want to get to know them.
God damn, yall.
Last edited by Hannibal on Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:18 am, edited 1 time in total.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:11 am

This was literally one of the funniest things I have ever read.

How come nothing this lulzy happens over her? All are lulz are sarcastic inside jokes.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

smokyroom26

Bronze

Post by smokyroom26 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 2:55 am

f0bolous wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:
ran12 wrote:
Is that even possible?
Yep!
do tell! i need gossip.
ha, I'll never tell.... :D

Richie Tenenbaum

Gold

Post by Richie Tenenbaum » Thu Jul 21, 2011 7:41 am

Hadlendale wrote:The fact that you made this thread leads me to believe you only need one piece of advice: Think of whatever it is you normally do in social situations and do the opposite. Then you'll be fine.
i.e. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RerJWv5vwxc

crossarmant

Silver

Post by crossarmant » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:40 am

Naked Dude wrote:
This is really solid advice, I've been in both categories before. I also agree with you that forced meet-and-greets are terribly awkward and I'm socially inept to begin with (at least without a warm up drink). I think the idea of getting out of a forced setting and getting to know people will go much further than any simple orientation or silly refreshment gathering.

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:50 am

Naked Dude wrote:
chem wrote:3 tips

name repetition, personality mirroring, and positive reinforcement with smiles and nods
I can imagine someone taking this too literally. Every time they raise or lower their cup, mirror that. Take a step back mirror that. Swing their hips mirror that...
You obviously haven't watched The Office :x and personality mirroring does not mean mirroring what the other person is doing

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Cupidity

Gold

Post by Cupidity » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:54 am

Go to all the social events, drink in moderation, resist the urge to talk about anything legal you have done, your affiliation with TLS, or your plans for outlining. If you have assignments before your first class, discuss the posibility of making a run to the bookstore together, and possibily doing the reading assignment as a picnic outside. The most important part of orientation is splitting a small group away from the mass of students, and actually making friends.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jul 25, 2011 10:59 am

Cupidity wrote:Go to all the social events, drink in moderation, resist the urge to talk about anything legal you have done, your affiliation with TLS, or your plans for outlining. If you have assignments before your first class, discuss the posibility of making a run to the bookstore together, and possibily doing the reading assignment as a picnic outside. The most important part of orientation is splitting a small group away from the mass of students, and actually making friends.
I straight up admitted that I was a frequent TLS posters with horriffic posts. People laughed. Then we got drunk.

People are still people. They are also stressed people. Give them a reason to laugh or feel less tense, and they will love you for it.

thecilent

Gold

Post by thecilent » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:02 am

I talked about TLS multiple times at ASW. Dk why people keep suggesting not to talk about it

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:03 am

thecilent wrote:I talked about TLS multiple times at ASW. Dk why people keep suggesting not to talk about it
Paranoia. Pure and simple.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”