Too many people know about TLS

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Stanford4Me
Posts: 6048
Joined: Thu Jan 10, 2008 1:23 am

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby Stanford4Me » Mon Jul 18, 2011 5:45 pm

Ran here.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:13 pm

I attribute a large chunk of my grades to TLS advice. As long as you know who to listen to and who is just saying random stuff without having any clue you can get solid advice here. There are like 20 (more or less) regular posters who really helped me when I was a 0L and throughout my 1L year.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:13 pm

Peg wrote:So I am pretty sure that the majority of my class reads TLS, going by what some 2Ls and 3Ls have told me and from what a couple of classmates I've met have said. I'm a little deflated, I totally thought TLS was a secret weapon and nobody else was reading Getting to Maybe or Arrow's advice for 1L success, etc. :P But seriously, if most of the class reads TLS, what edge does it give you?

I'd like to find out from rising 2Ls and incoming 1Ls - did you find that your classmates were using the same methods and supplements as you were using? Did you find that the advice on TLS didn't get you as high a grade as you wanted, because everyone else was following the same advice?

I guess...I dunno, it just makes the competition for good grades that much more difficult, because you're essentially back to square one and nobody has a real edge over anyone else. This site is awesome and I'm still going to use it, but how did people overcome this problem?

I probably shouldn't have asked that question here!


Annoying right? Think of it like National Honor Society-a really useless, unimpressive designation, but something that "everyone" who wants to go to a top college is expected to have.

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:14 pm

Naked Dude wrote:
Peg wrote:So I am pretty sure that the majority of my class reads TLS, going by what some 2Ls and 3Ls have told me and from what a couple of classmates I've met have said. I'm a little deflated, I totally thought TLS was a secret weapon and nobody else was reading Getting to Maybe or Arrow's advice for 1L success, etc. :P But seriously, if most of the class reads TLS, what edge does it give you?

I'd like to find out from rising 2Ls and incoming 1Ls - did you find that your classmates were using the same methods and supplements as you were using? Did you find that the advice on TLS didn't get you as high a grade as you wanted, because everyone else was following the same advice?

I guess...I dunno, it just makes the competition for good grades that much more difficult, because you're essentially back to square one and nobody has a real edge over anyone else. This site is awesome and I'm still going to use it, but how did people overcome this problem?

I probably shouldn't have asked that question here!


Annoying right? Think of it like National Honor Society-a really useless, unimpressive designation, but something that "everyone" who wants to go to a top college is expected to have.


Maybe not the best analogy because I don't mean to say that TLS is useless, but you get it

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:19 pm

Peg wrote:Lol, secret sauce. No really, it's definitely an amazing site and while I wasn't looking to lean on TLS for everything, it definitely made a world of a difference in my application process and I figured it would make a difference in my 1L year. Everyone's looking for an edge, it's just that nobody will admit it. I can say these things because of the anonymity of TLS, but I'd be scorned if I said it in public - and I'd probably make fun of anyone else who said it in public too.

The thing is that TLS seems to be something nobody wants to talk about because it's so useful. One of my friends sent some advice about LSAT prep that was pretty much taken from Pithypike's guide, and later her 1L study tips were taken from bits and pieces written on TLS - she didn't give me everything, but she wrote little tidbits of advice from here. When I asked her if she got that stuff from TLS, she sort of paused, sheepishly admitted it and changed the subject. It was like she wanted to help me, but she didn't want to give away everything.


I hope people like that don't think that their pettiness will be forgotten...

shoeshine
Posts: 1241
Joined: Wed May 04, 2011 10:58 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:20 pm

We should start voting people off...

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby Naked Dude » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:21 pm

ran12 wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Kilpatrick wrote:Even if everyone knows about TLS, not everyone actually uses the advice


I should hope not.


Most people might go in with the intention to use the advice but will be mentally too weak to actually follow through. Everyone in your class is going to be relatively smart. The difference between the ones at the top and everyone else is discipline and finding ways to study in the most effective way.


People can often work hard, but I think it's rare that people truly push themselves as far as they can go. Even when I've worked really hard, most of the time I've known I could push a little harder if I had the motivation.

User avatar
Grizz
Posts: 10583
Joined: Mon Jan 04, 2010 6:31 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby Grizz » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:26 pm

BarbellDreams wrote:I attribute a large chunk of my grades to TLS advice. As long as you know who to listen to and who is just saying random stuff without having any clue you can get solid advice here. There are like 20 (more or less) regular posters who really helped me when I was a 0L and throughout my 1L year.

You told me once that I helped you, which I'm happy about, but I'm curious which of my cynical and depressing 1L ramblings did the trick?

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby Verity » Mon Jul 18, 2011 6:29 pm

TLS has an Alexa rank of 10,496. I don't know what that means in numerical terms of users and lurkers, but if we know that and the number of people in law school, we can get an idea of how many current/prospective students have been here.

User avatar
BarbellDreams
Posts: 2256
Joined: Thu Mar 19, 2009 6:10 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby BarbellDreams » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:31 pm

rad law wrote:
BarbellDreams wrote:I attribute a large chunk of my grades to TLS advice. As long as you know who to listen to and who is just saying random stuff without having any clue you can get solid advice here. There are like 20 (more or less) regular posters who really helped me when I was a 0L and throughout my 1L year.

You told me once that I helped you, which I'm happy about, but I'm curious which of my cynical and depressing 1L ramblings did the trick?


You're definitely in that 20. Your legal market cynicism really helped me see what I was getting myself into.

User avatar
PDaddy
Posts: 2073
Joined: Sat Jan 16, 2010 4:40 am

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby PDaddy » Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:47 pm

Peg wrote:So I am pretty sure that the majority of my class reads TLS...But seriously, if most of the class reads TLS, what edge does it give you?

I'd like to find out from rising 2Ls and incoming 1Ls - did you find that your classmates were using the same methods and supplements as you were using? Did you find that the advice on TLS didn't get you as high a grade as you wanted, because everyone else was following the same advice?


Most people are good at asking for advice, few are good at asking for the right advice. Even fewer are good at asking for comprehensive advice or doing comprehensive research to supplement the other advice they are getting. Yet, even fewer people are any good at implementing advice. And it is the smallest minority who actually take all of the advice they have gotten, construct a personalized plan, and actually follow it. Hence, many people may know about TLS, LSD (the site) and the other information available to them, but few people take full advantage of it. For most, therein lies the rub.

If you are one of the few who does comprehensive research, uses it to design and implement a well-conceived, personalized plan, and has the discipline to follow that plan to perfection, THAT is the advantage. If you don't believe me, take note of the hundreds of TLSers who claim to follow Pithy's and Arrow's advice, yet never acheive their desired grades or scores, and never get WL'd at, let alone get into, any of their schools of choice.

User avatar
theturkeyisfat
Posts: 236
Joined: Sat Jun 30, 2007 2:04 am

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby theturkeyisfat » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:29 pm

PDaddy wrote:
Peg wrote:So I am pretty sure that the majority of my class reads TLS...But seriously, if most of the class reads TLS, what edge does it give you?

I'd like to find out from rising 2Ls and incoming 1Ls - did you find that your classmates were using the same methods and supplements as you were using? Did you find that the advice on TLS didn't get you as high a grade as you wanted, because everyone else was following the same advice?


Most people are good at asking for advice, few are good at asking for the right advice. Even fewer are good at asking for comprehensive advice or doing comprehensive research to supplement the other advice they are getting. Yet, even fewer people are any good at implementing advice. And it is the smallest minority who actually take all of the advice they have gotten, construct a personalized plan, and actually follow it. Hence, many people may know about TLS, LSD (the site) and the other information available to them, but few people take full advantage of it. For most, therein lies the rub.

If you are one of the few who does comprehensive research, uses it to design and implement a well-conceived, personalized plan, and has the discipline to follow that plan to perfection, THAT is the advantage. If you don't believe me, take note of the hundreds of TLSers who claim to follow Pithy's and Arrow's advice, yet never acheive their desired grades or scores, and never get WL'd at, let alone get into, any of their schools of choice.


i love how you clarified LSD. though i'd like to see someone try this study plan :).

and about implementing a plan, you're right. i took a year off to apply early, and still ended up applying late (among other mistakes), and didn't get into my top choices. hopefully i'll learn from my mistakes and do better in law school classes.

User avatar
vanwinkle
Posts: 9740
Joined: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:02 am

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby vanwinkle » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:57 pm

shoeshine wrote:We should start voting people off...

Hey, some of us have been for a while now.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8446
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby thesealocust » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:25 pm

vanwinkle wrote:
shoeshine wrote:We should start voting people off...

Hey, some of us have been for a while now.


Who will get the rose next week?!

TLS: SUDDEN DEATH OVERTIME

Survivor: Outstudy, outangst, outstress

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby northwood » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:38 pm

you forgot outgun

User avatar
Ruxin1
Posts: 1284
Joined: Fri Jul 23, 2010 3:12 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby Ruxin1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:45 pm

or that curry guy...

User avatar
ThreeYears
Posts: 150
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 5:26 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby ThreeYears » Tue Jul 19, 2011 12:36 am

Plenty of materials on how to work out are available to everyone.

Dumbbells, push-ups and running cost close to nothing.

How many people are fit and how many people are cut?

User avatar
NeighborGuy
Posts: 119
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:51 am

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby NeighborGuy » Tue Jul 19, 2011 6:00 pm

ThreeYears wrote:Plenty of materials on how to work out are available to everyone.

Dumbbells, push-ups and running cost close to nothing.

How many people are fit and how many people are cut?


Yep.

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby crossarmant » Fri Jul 22, 2011 6:59 pm

ThreeYears wrote:Plenty of materials on how to work out are available to everyone.

Dumbbells, push-ups and running cost close to nothing.

How many people are fit and how many people are cut?


Fantastic analogy. And how many people are overweight and morbidly obese?

Just because people have the tools and advice, know they should be doing things this way, doesn't mean they do. How many people work hard? As in their literal 100% maximum effort. That's what will make the difference in anything, not simply having a few posts on a forum board. Those are merely the instruments of assistance.

User avatar
Verity
Posts: 1253
Joined: Sun Jan 30, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby Verity » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:06 pm

crossarmant wrote:
ThreeYears wrote:Plenty of materials on how to work out are available to everyone.

Dumbbells, push-ups and running cost close to nothing.

How many people are fit and how many people are cut?


Fantastic analogy. And how many people are overweight and morbidly obese?

Just because people have the tools and advice, know they should be doing things this way, doesn't mean they do. How many people work hard? As in their literal 100% maximum effort. That's what will make the difference in anything, not simply having a few posts on a forum board. Those are merely the instruments of assistance.


Thanks for clearing that up.

User avatar
BackToTheOldHouse
Posts: 862
Joined: Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:03 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby BackToTheOldHouse » Fri Jul 22, 2011 7:39 pm

Verity wrote:
crossarmant wrote:
ThreeYears wrote:Plenty of materials on how to work out are available to everyone.

Dumbbells, push-ups and running cost close to nothing.

How many people are fit and how many people are cut?


Fantastic analogy. And how many people are overweight and morbidly obese?

Just because people have the tools and advice, know they should be doing things this way, doesn't mean they do. How many people work hard? As in their literal 100% maximum effort. That's what will make the difference in anything, not simply having a few posts on a forum board. Those are merely the instruments of assistance.


Thanks for clearing that up.

:D Verity, you dick. But still, :D

User avatar
Naked Dude
Posts: 746
Joined: Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:09 pm

Re: Too many people know about TLS

Postby Naked Dude » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:47 pm

crossarmant wrote:
ThreeYears wrote:Plenty of materials on how to work out are available to everyone.

Dumbbells, push-ups and running cost close to nothing.

How many people are fit and how many people are cut?


Fantastic analogy. And how many people are overweight and morbidly obese?

Just because people have the tools and advice, know they should be doing things this way, doesn't mean they do. How many people work hard? As in their literal 100% maximum effort. That's what will make the difference in anything, not simply having a few posts on a forum board. Those are merely the instruments of assistance.


What's even more staggering is people who don't know how to expend 100% effort. Some people are so afraid of work, or so unused to it, that they are able to psychologically trick themselves into thinking that their ~60% effort is 100%. A little work scares some people off, or they find it too painful. Even when I bust my ass sometimes, I always know that if I really could find that extra little bit of motivation I could push a little harder. Few people operate on 100% regularly, and fewer even get there once, I think.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests