Question for those studying for, or who have passed the bar

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
evilxs

Question for those studying for, or who have passed the bar

Postby evilxs » Sat Jul 16, 2011 2:06 pm

Did you use any of your supplemental books from your core classes: E&E, Nutshells, law in a flash etc? when studying for the bar?

Or should I sell these off and trust in the bar prep material given to me when I go through my review course???

Thanks!
Last edited by evilxs on Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

evilxs

Re: Question for those studying for, or who have passed the bar

Postby evilxs » Sun Jul 17, 2011 10:23 am

I can hear the crickets, wow.

NotMyRealName09

Postby NotMyRealName09 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:43 am

No. For the bar, you want to simplify, not complicate. Everything you need to know will be in your bar materials (assuming you chose the right course). I mean, BarBri gives you a book of extremely detailed outlines, among many other books . . . but the professors will straight up tell you not to read it, because you truthfully do not have the time. Everything you need to know is covered in the lectures and contained in the lecture outline. Everything else is just fluff and additional detail if you really don't understand something. Trust them, they do know what they are doing.

BarBri gives you a ton of sample exam questions. Just do them, read through the answers, and learn what you go wrong. Truthfully, that aspect of things was probably the most helpful. You listen to the lecture, read through the Convisor (abbriviated) outline, then take the sample questions. Getting wrong answers will teach you what you didn't know, and after that, you'll know it. Once you've run through a ton of multistate questions, something will happen - you'll realize there are only so many ways to ask a bar exam question in multiple choice, and you'll recognize the question pattern, knowing you've seen similar questions before. Once you're at that point, you're ready.

Its a game. The bar exam is a game. The class teaches you how to beat the game. E&Es and all that shit teach you the law. You don't need to know the law. You need to know how to beat the game.

morris248

Postby morris248 » Sun Jul 17, 2011 11:58 am

I would agree with the above post. Your best resource is someone from the class ahead that has just taken and hopefully passed the bar. Get them to give you their study materials. Then start by taking the multistate questions. Once you have the multistate down, then move on to your specific state's essay questions. Often the bar exam will mirror particular major cases in your state and they often tend to repeat. Many states publish old bar exam questions and model answers. If available, practice taking those questions and compare your essay to the model answers. Good luck.

evilxs

Postby evilxs » Mon Jul 18, 2011 9:12 am

You guys rock, thank you so much for your wisdom.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”