Only one not turned off by Biglaw hours?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
AreJay711

Re: Only one not turned off by Biglaw hours?

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:11 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I grew up in a war ravaged country and spent a portion of my childhood in the midst of war. We lacked electricity for months and had to stand in long lines for water more often than I care to recall. My mother never managed to get employed again after her firm was bombed to the ground and my father wound up working third shifts at a hotel to pull us through financially.

You want to babble perspective? Talk to someone else. And try to dismount the high horse when you do so.

If any of that is true (which I doubt), then you should be on my side.

You of all people (if what you are saying is true) should realize that.

lol@you doubting her veracity. Douche move.

Maybe but what she posted doesn't make what s/he said any less true. Biglaw hours might not be ideal but it isn't godawful like people imagine. Really, the only way to make good money without similar work is to win it or be born into it.
Last edited by AreJay711 on Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

vanwinkle

Postby vanwinkle » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:13 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:
dresden doll wrote:I grew up in a war ravaged country and spent a portion of my childhood in the midst of war. We lacked electricity for months and had to stand in long lines for water more often than I care to recall. My mother never managed to get employed again after her firm was bombed to the ground and my father wound up working third shifts at a hotel to pull us through financially.

You want to babble perspective? Talk to someone else. And try to dismount the high horse when you do so.

+1 all the way.

liLtuneChi

Postby liLtuneChi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:14 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:

I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that someone who claims to come from such a background would side with the whiny brats complaining about making 160k a year. Maybe I just have kept true to my roots unlike her but I count my blessings that I have the opportunities currently afforded to me by my law school education.

Working long hours in an air conditioned office reading and writing (even if they are mundane and boring) is alot sweeter than 99.999% of other jobs in the world. Sure it would be cooler to be a big time pro athlete, movie actor, or heir to the British crown. But instead of pitying my life by comparing myself to the few people on the planet who make more while working less, I just count my blessings that I'm doing better than 99.9% of humanity.

Thats the perspective that coming from a humble background brings. Unlike the spoiled brat perspective that runs rampant among biglaw associates who believe they are owed a 6 figure salary.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:31 pm

Call me crazy, but I think it's possible to be grateful that you have an opportunity and still complain about some aspects of it.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:32 pm

dailygrind wrote:Call me crazy, but I think it's possible to be grateful that you have an opportunity and still complain about some aspects of it.

Yeah, if you are a whiny bitch

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:35 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:Call me crazy, but I think it's possible to be grateful that you have an opportunity and still complain about some aspects of it.

AreJay711

Postby AreJay711 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:39 pm

dailygrind wrote:
AreJay711 wrote:

[img]http://gifsforum.com/images/gif/not%20sure%20if%20serious/grand/87582072.gif

Only partially. I don't see why someone would complain about their own choice to pursue biglaw or take on so much debt to need biglaw.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:42 pm

AreJay711 wrote:Only partially. I don't see why someone would complain about their own choice to pursue biglaw or take on so much debt to need biglaw.

Steam release, information for those who wish to take the same path, signaling mechanism to peers so they understand that you're a busy dude who can't get drunk as often as they do, foolish hope that maybe someone will find a way to fix the problem, commiseration...

I mean, standing around all day bemoaning the decisions you've made is pretty ridiculous, but never complaining about the decisions you've made is pretty ridiculously composed.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:46 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:
I find it IMPOSSIBLE to believe that someone who claims to come from such a background would side with the whiny brats complaining about making 160k a year. Maybe I just have kept true to my roots unlike her but I count my blessings that I have the opportunities currently afforded to me by my law school education.

Working long hours in an air conditioned office reading and writing (even if they are mundane and boring) is alot sweeter than 99.999% of other jobs in the world. Sure it would be cooler to be a big time pro athlete, movie actor, or heir to the British crown. But instead of pitying my life by comparing myself to the few people on the planet who make more while working less, I just count my blessings that I'm doing better than 99.9% of humanity.

Thats the perspective that coming from a humble background brings. Unlike the spoiled brat perspective that runs rampant among biglaw associates who believe they are owed a 6 figure salary.

You had two avenues with 4 possible results
1) Taking her word for it, and it's false-which wouldn't matter.
2) Taking her word for it, and it's true--good for you for believing her.
3) Not taking her word for it and looking like a total douche
4) Not taking her word for it and being right on the interwebs.
Congratulations, you're in world 3.

In addition, you misunderstand her argument completely, as well as the argument of many others in this thread, leading you to summarize her as a whiny brat.
She is not complaining about making 160K a year.
It's true that it's unreasonable to expect to earn a lot of money without having to put in the time. I don't think biglaw hours are outrageous when one considers the compensation. I think it's outrageous, and unfortunate, that some people have to work those hours without similar compensation.

The argument that others are putting forth is that one doesn't NEED a 6 figure salary, and that in terms of one's overall happiness, one would probably be happier with less money, but more personal time. This is hard to find--very few jobs hit that sweet spot. But it's not "whiny" to point out that biglaw has drawbacks, especially if one is in a position where one could find a job that fits them better. As DG puts it:

Life is full of tradeoffs. It's not unreasonable to point out the drawbacks to something, even if has got good benefits.

You're arguing against a straw man argument of "oh poor me, I make 160K and I have to work for it" that nobody is asserting.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:48 pm

acrossthelake wrote:
You're arguing against a straw man argument of "oh poor me, I make 160K and I have to work for it" that nobody is asserting.

Not to mention that he's doing so purely for self-aggrandizing purposes.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jul 16, 2011 9:54 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:If any of that is true (which I doubt), then you should be on my side.

I'll be sure to give you an opportunity to compare and contrast our respective misfortunes when I see you at CLS this fall.

slacker

Postby slacker » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:32 pm

People in every profession complain about work. And they aren't all spoiled brats. They're logical people weighing the pros and cons.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:34 pm

dresden doll wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:If any of that is true (which I doubt), then you should be on my side.

I'll be sure to give you an opportunity to compare and contrast our respective misfortunes when I see you at CLS this fall.

Say it ain't so.... Why would you do that to yourself?

flexityflex86

Postby flexityflex86 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:39 pm

being rich, if you aren't a douche born to a rich family, is a combination of 3 factors:

1.) being smart
2.) working hard
3.) having good people skills.

though depending on how much of 1 you have, 3 might not be necessary. i'd imagine for all of us, though, it is.

PNW Noob

Postby PNW Noob » Sat Jul 16, 2011 10:44 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:
liLtuneChi wrote:

Can't be sure, but I remember talking like this around the age of 13. Anyone else suspect this may be the summer project of a bored 7th/8th grader? (all emphasis mine...other than the "all caps" and the statistical hyperbole)

liLtuneChi

Postby liLtuneChi » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:04 pm

acrossthelake wrote:The argument that others are putting forth is that one doesn't NEED a 6 figure salary, and that in terms of one's overall happiness, one would probably be happier with less money, but more personal time. This is hard to find--very few jobs hit that sweet spot. But it's not "whiny" to point out that biglaw has drawbacks, especially if one is in a position where one could find a job that fits them better.

wow

welcome to the real world buddy.....life's a b*tch

Maybe its just me but I don't like whiners. Whining gets us nowhere. If you can't stand biglaw then quit. If you aren't gonna quit then STFU....do your job.....and live on. We all know biglaw has drawbacks. That isn't the point articulated by people all time. People just use it as an excuse to vent.

Life is full of tradeoffs. It's not unreasonable to point out the drawbacks to something, even if has got good benefits.

I think we all know by the now the drawbacks to biglaw. Someone doesn't get into this job without knowing what the job entails. If you haven't done your due diligence then you have only yourself to blame. If however you did your due diligence and still take a biglaw job then you have no right to complain. We all know the drawbacks so your not telling us anything we haven't heard already.

sunynp

Postby sunynp » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:07 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:
acrossthelake wrote:The argument that others are putting forth is that one doesn't NEED a 6 figure salary, and that in terms of one's overall happiness, one would probably be happier with less money, but more personal time. This is hard to find--very few jobs hit that sweet spot. But it's not "whiny" to point out that biglaw has drawbacks, especially if one is in a position where one could find a job that fits them better.

wow

Maybe its just me but I don't like whiners. Whining gets us nowhere. If you can't stand biglaw then quit. If you aren't gonna quit then STFU....do your job.....and live on. We all know biglaw has drawbacks. That isn't the point articulated by people all time. People just use it as an excuse to vent.

I think we all know by the now the drawbacks to biglaw. Someone doesn't get into this job without knowing what the job entails. If you haven't done your due diligence then you have only yourself to blame. If however you did your due diligence and still take a biglaw job then you have no right to complain. We all know the drawbacks so your not telling us anything we haven't heard already.

So what are the drawbacks to biglaw, in your opinion?

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:20 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:Maybe its just me but I don't like whiners. Whining gets us nowhere. If you can't stand biglaw then quit. If you aren't gonna quit then STFU....do your job.....and live on. We all know biglaw has drawbacks. That isn't the point articulated by people all time. People just use it as an excuse to vent.

Whining about biglaw hours is a lot less obnoxious than whining about people whose opinions are different than yours. Don't you have some cites to check by Monday morning or something?

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:22 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:

Considering this is a thread dedicated to discussing pros and cons of biglaw, I'm pretty sure she is entirely welcome to point out drawbacks regardless of how you happen to feel about that. Also, you don't speak for the board so lay off the 'we' usage.

I won't even address your continued RC fails. I assume they are a conscious product of your apparent desire to let us all know how awesome you are since CLS LR generally doesn't admit those that can't comprehend simple arguments.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:29 pm

liLtuneChi wrote:
wow

You realize that I'm not in biglaw (yet), right? :lol: I'm frankly undecided re: biglaw because I don't know enough about it to say. My only argument in this entire thread is that you're a douche for insensitively doubting dresden, and accusing people of things they haven't said. For example: You just accused me of being someone in biglaw whining about it and not appreciating it, when I'm actually an 0L, who never defended nor attacked biglaw at all. :lol:

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:34 pm

I work at a pretty well known firm on the west coast and the hours are no biggie compared to finance. I'm usually out of the office by six most days, and today was the first Saturday I've worked all summer, then again I am just a summer associate.

In my previous field I went months working 9-11pm, 6 days a week, I also made twice as much as I make now, but biglaw hours are definitely not that bad compared to other fields.

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:41 pm

f7 wrote:
elmagic wrote:I work at a pretty well known firm on the west coast and the hours are no biggie compared to finance. I'm usually out of the office by six most days, and today was the first Saturday I've worked all summer, then again I am just a summer associate.

In my previous field I went months working 9-11pm, 6 days a week, I also made twice as much as I make now, but biglaw hours are definitely not that bad compared to other fields.

Firms don't generally torture their summers.

That's what I've been hearing, also apparently west coast is supposed to be more tame, although the Skadden girl out in LA died recently so who knows.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:42 pm

elmagic wrote:I work at a pretty well known firm on the west coast and the hours are no biggie compared to finance. I'm usually out of the office by six most days, and today was the first Saturday I've worked all summer, then again I am just a summer associate.

Outted as not working at Cravath.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:47 pm

dresden doll wrote:

Outted as not working at Cravath.

Even at Cravath a summer could probably get away with that. We (summer associates in general) are basically useless, so if you were really good at looking busy, you could probably skate from my firm early a lot (and I work at a verifiable sweatshop).

elmagic

Postby elmagic » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:50 pm

Definitely not at Cravath, although last Thursday, no joke I could smell alcohol on multiple associates after lunch and they left with the rest of us to happy hour at 5:30. I don't think they went back after either cause they were pretty drunk...

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”