Is it true you can get into Mensa via the LSAT?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
flcath

Re: Is it true you can get into Mensa via the LSAT?

Postby flcath » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:59 pm

AreJay711 wrote:
flcath wrote:
chem wrote:MENSA is or was until recently pro eugenics

fact

That's not a bad thing. Or are you in favor of letting the least valuable members of society replicate themselves prolifically (on the government's dime) to the detriment of everyone else?

This is 85% of the reason I'm having 5 kids.

While I appreciate your desire to fight the good fight, our children are almost certainly doomed to an overcrowded world full of dumb, zealously religious people. See e.g., The Duggars

gwuorbust

Postby gwuorbust » Sun Jul 10, 2011 4:02 pm

worthless organizations are worthless

DCFL2011

Postby DCFL2011 » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:32 am

I am a hot chick with two masters degrees who is in mensa. Not all who are in that group are one dimensional. Many value social skills... aesthetics... achievement... common sense.

I'm not preparing for law school but came upon this post via google. Why all the hate? The group was started by two lawyers, although I do agree they haven't yet found a practical way to meet their original mission.

For me, it was personal - I was not identified as being gifted going through school but realized it years later after reading about it. For me it was a validation - not a must have, a nice to have. If people want it, so what? No one needs a Porsche but those are nice to have too.

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:11 am

DCFL2011 wrote:I am a hot chick

Pics or GTFO

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:29 am

DCFL2011 wrote:I am a hot chick with two masters degrees who is in mensa. Not all who are in that group are one dimensional. Many value social skills... aesthetics... achievement... common sense.

I'm not preparing for law school but came upon this post via google. Why all the hate? The group was started by two lawyers, although I do agree they haven't yet found a practical way to meet their original mission.

For me, it was personal - I was not identified as being gifted going through school but realized it years later after reading about it. For me it was a validation - not a must have, a nice to have. If people want it, so what? No one needs a Porsche but those are nice to have too.

I believe that you're a genius but just to be sure I'd like you to solve this equation: 48÷2(9+3)

GATORTIM

Postby GATORTIM » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:51 am

I bet you a rubik's cube that you're a nickel, 6 at best

KevinP

Postby KevinP » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:59 am

Sure, and Cooley is the second best law school in the country.

SeymourShowz

Postby SeymourShowz » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:20 am

DCFL2011 wrote:No one needs a Porsche but those are nice to have too.

You can have fun driving a Porchse, not to mention that it actually serves a purpose as a mode of transportation. WTF do you do at MENSA meetings? Talk about being smart?

MENSA does have at least one positive quality, when I hear people mention being a member I immediately know that I want nothing to do with them.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:27 am

DCFL2011 wrote:I am a hot chick with two masters degrees who is in mensa. Not all who are in that group are one dimensional. Many value social skills... aesthetics... achievement... common sense.

How quaint.

I like Woody Allen, don't you?. I also like burritos, it took me a very long time to come to terms with the fact that burritos didn't have an 'e' in it. Potatoes, tomatoes etc. You see where this is going...

http://waitalia.tripod.com/short-uk.html

RMstratosphere

Postby RMstratosphere » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:31 am

flcath wrote:
chem wrote:MENSA is or was until recently pro eugenics

fact

That's not a bad thing. Or are you in favor of letting the least valuable members of society replicate themselves prolifically (on the government's dime) to the detriment of everyone else?

[runs out to have unprotected, consequence-less sex]

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:37 pm

Pics or it didn't happen.

Edit: Not that I don't believe that there are lots of hot intelligent women out there, I'm dating one. I just don't believe that any of them would be caught dead at a Mensa meeting.

TheFactor

Postby TheFactor » Fri Aug 05, 2011 6:45 pm

Veyron wrote:

Edit: Not that I don't believe that there are lots of hot intelligent women out there, I'm dating one. I just don't believe that any of them would be caught dead at a Mensa meeting.

pics or it didn't happen

flcath

Postby flcath » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:02 pm

TheFactor wrote:
Veyron wrote:

pics or it didn't happen

Not that I don't believe there are lots of hot intelligent women out there. I just don't believe a TLSer would be dating one.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Fri Aug 05, 2011 7:55 pm

flcath wrote:
TheFactor wrote:
Veyron wrote:

pics or it didn't happen

Not that I don't believe there are lots of hot intelligent women out there. I just don't believe a TLSer would be dating one.

Deceit and guile will get you far in life. I just use one of those computer memory erasers.

johnnyutah

Postby johnnyutah » Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:16 am

Veyron wrote:Not that I don't believe that there are lots of hot intelligent women people out there, I'm dating one. I just don't believe that any of them would be caught dead at a Mensa meeting.

FTFY.

Veyron

Postby Veyron » Sat Aug 06, 2011 1:21 pm

johnnyutah wrote:
Veyron wrote:Not that I don't believe that there are lots of hot intelligent women people out there, I'm dating one. I just don't believe that any of them would be caught dead at a Mensa meeting.

FTFY.

None of this gender neutral bullshit.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 06, 2011 2:53 pm

DCFL2011 wrote:For me, it was personal - I was not identified as being gifted going through school but realized it years later after reading about it.

--ImageRemoved--

stratocophic

Postby stratocophic » Sat Aug 06, 2011 3:09 pm

IAFG wrote:
DCFL2011 wrote:For me, it was personal - I was not identified as being gifted going through school but realized it years later after reading about it.

--ImageRemoved--
"Oh god this changes EVERYTHING. All those A's in my dumbed-down BS public school remedial classes as a child... they weren't just because I put in a bare minimum of effort, unlike my lazy/braindead classmates - they were because I was GIFTED." And let's not forget the need for "validation," lulz.

The whole thing reads like an eigth-of-a-page advertisement run in a tabloid or a poorly done informercial testimonial.

IAFG

Postby IAFG » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:01 pm

stratocophic wrote:"Oh god this changes EVERYTHING. All those A's in my dumbed-down BS public school remedial classes as a child... they weren't just because I put in a bare minimum of effort, unlike my lazy/braindead classmates - they were because I was GIFTED." And let's not forget the need for "validation," lulz.

The whole thing reads like an eigth-of-a-page advertisement run in a tabloid or a poorly done informercial testimonial.

I am just wondering what you could "read about" as an adult that would make you "realize" you were an unrecognized genius.

bgdddymtty

Postby bgdddymtty » Sat Aug 06, 2011 4:07 pm

ITT members of a pretentious, elitist, socially awkward club criticize members of another for being socially awkward, elitist, and pretentious.

Blessedassurance

Postby Blessedassurance » Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:35 am

bgdddymtty wrote:ITT members of a pretentious, elitist, socially awkward club criticize members of another for being socially awkward, elitist, and pretentious.

Speak for yourself, monsieur.

BeautifulSW

Postby BeautifulSW » Wed Aug 10, 2011 9:09 pm

A native Spanish-speaking Nortena friend of mine absolutely INSISTS that "mensa" is a slang term for "silly...um...girl". The male version is, of course, "menso".

IronHBM

Postby IronHBM » Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:51 pm

BeautifulSW wrote:A native Spanish-speaking Nortena friend of mine absolutely INSISTS that "mensa" is a slang term for "silly...um...girl". The male version is, of course, "menso".

I can confirm this

cofc2008

Postby cofc2008 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:28 am

Lots of laughs from this thread.

If you have to say you are a hot chick......not so much

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Fri Aug 12, 2011 11:47 am

cofc2008 wrote:Lots of laughs from this thread.

If you have to say you are a hot chick......not so much

Yes. Hot chicks do not have to say they are hot. I think if she is comparing herself to the other girls in mensa then she may be comparatively hot, so like a 6 in the real world. Its like a girl being hot for being in law school.

A girl that is really a ten wouldn't have to be in mensa to help her get ahead I feel like. She is already in an exclusive club called being really hot which will do so much more to help her get ahead in life.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”