Answers to Practice Tests?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
IHaveLawyers

Answers to Practice Tests?

Postby IHaveLawyers » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:27 pm

So I have been reading a lot of practice tests a couple of week before your exams start. I wanted to know how you guys check those answers and how do you determine how well you did? I am a bit lost on this one because is it not a little bit of subjective exam?

GMVarun

Re: Answers to Practice Tests?

Postby GMVarun » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:42 pm

IHaveLawyers wrote:So I have been reading a lot of practice tests a couple of week before your exams start. I wanted to know how you guys check those answers and how do you determine how well you did? I am a bit lost on this one because is it not a little bit of subjective exam?

I will assume you are a 0L, and you are not actually trying to read or do law school exams now as a 0L. You can look very briefly to see what a law school exam consists of, but I definitely do not recommend any more than that.

To answer your question, this depends heavily on the professor, but in my experience very very few professors give "model answers" which they themselves have written. Some professors give "A/A+" answers from previous years, which are helpful. One of my professors gave a range of C-A answers, which was also helpful. And yes law school exams are "subjective" in these that there is no one right answer. Part of the difficulty of law school exams is learning what is good and what is not good. For this, reading Getting to Maybe, doing problems in a supplement that does have answers (such as E&E), working in a study group and talking about possible answers, talking to your professor during office hours, having a professor look over answers to a professor's practice exam, doing exams with model answers from other schools and comparing your answer, etc. are possible ways to learn this skill. Once you do it a few times you get the hang of it.

If you are under the impression that there is one right answer to law school exams, you should quickly lose that impression, and see how a law school exam actually looks like (though this can easily be done in the first few weeks of the semester, as well). Not now, but throughout the semester, practicing hypos and then practicing exams is the key. "How well you did" is all relative, and thus impossible to really know, until you see your grades. There is almost certainly high returns for people who figure out how to attack law school tests, because this is a difficult skill to learn and some do not figure it out, even after taking one set of exams.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”