Most amazing citations you will ever see.

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
jkay

Bronze
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby jkay » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:59 pm

Words fail.

Image

User avatar
thesealocust

Platinum
Posts: 8523
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:01 pm

?

User avatar
Zugzwang

Bronze
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby Zugzwang » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 pm

?

User avatar
billyez

Silver
Posts: 865
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby billyez » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 pm

Cool story bro.

Not seeing what's amazing here.
Last edited by billyez on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CyLaw

Gold
Posts: 1551
Joined: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:59 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby CyLaw » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:02 pm

I'm sorry, I don't understand your point.

jkay

Bronze
Posts: 387
Joined: Mon May 03, 2010 2:47 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby jkay » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:03 pm

Citing your own concurring opinions as some sort of authority is the worst sort of TTT.

Three times in one paragraph is some next level shit.
Last edited by jkay on Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
Zugzwang

Bronze
Posts: 487
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 4:49 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby Zugzwang » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:04 pm

jkay wrote:Citing your own concurring opinions as some sort of authority is the worst sort of TTT.

Are you calling him Justice TTThomas?

User avatar
thesealocust

Platinum
Posts: 8523
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby thesealocust » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:04 pm

jkay wrote:Citing your own concurring opinions as some sort of authority is the worst sort of TTT.


...uh

User avatar
YourCaptain

Silver
Posts: 721
Joined: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:26 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby YourCaptain » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:09 pm

jkay wrote:Citing your own concurring opinions as some sort of authority is a strong sign of not caring about others' opinions.

Three times in one paragraph is some next level shit.

ftfy

User avatar
AreJay711

Gold
Posts: 3406
Joined: Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby AreJay711 » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:11 pm

I love throwing in a cite to my own work in academic writtting.

User avatar
huckster

New
Posts: 13
Joined: Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:41 am

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby huckster » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:33 pm

In academic scholarship (not sure about legal writing) authors often cite their own previous works in order to draw the reader's attention to a lengthier discussion they have already contributed to the matter. I have no idea if that is what is going on here, but it is appropriate and does happen frequently.

nymario

Bronze
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby nymario » Wed Jul 06, 2011 9:57 pm

Posner and Easterbrook do it all the time. In this case, Thomas is merely drawing your attention to previous arguments that he made. Would you rather him rehash things he's already said, or do you think it's easier if he points you to a location where he's previously expounded on a point at length? It's not like he's citing it as binding precedent (he's dissenting, remember?)

beach_terror

Platinum
Posts: 7920
Joined: Tue Dec 01, 2009 10:01 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby beach_terror » Wed Jul 06, 2011 10:30 pm

Found this fail during my summer research, from Goodyear v. Brown
--ImageRemoved--

Cogburn87

Bronze
Posts: 467
Joined: Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:26 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby Cogburn87 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:15 am

This thread is awful.

User avatar
JamMasterJ

Platinum
Posts: 6657
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 7:17 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby JamMasterJ » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:19 am

Cogburn87 wrote:This thread is awful.

User avatar
thesealocust

Platinum
Posts: 8523
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:19 am

JamMasterJ wrote:
Cogburn87 wrote:This thread is awful.

071816

Platinum
Posts: 5509
Joined: Thu Mar 31, 2011 8:06 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby 071816 » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:31 am

Image

User avatar
NZA

Silver
Posts: 1269
Joined: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:01 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby NZA » Thu Jul 07, 2011 12:32 am

Cogburn87 wrote:This thread is awful.

It's the worst thread in cite.

Oban

Silver
Posts: 644
Joined: Sun Sep 06, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby Oban » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:05 am

fuck the bluebook. See Id.

User avatar
SullaFelix

Bronze
Posts: 113
Joined: Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:18 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby SullaFelix » Thu Jul 07, 2011 1:09 am

jkay wrote:Citing your own concurring opinions as some sort of authority is the worst sort of TTT.

Three times in one paragraph is some next level shit.

Although a SCOTUS justice, by definition, is "some sort of authority."

smittytron3k

Bronze
Posts: 197
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby smittytron3k » Thu Jul 07, 2011 7:47 am

Oban wrote:fuck the bluebook. See Id id.


ftfy

Black-Blue

Bronze
Posts: 279
Joined: Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:46 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby Black-Blue » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:50 am

beach_terror wrote:Found this fail during my summer research, from Goodyear v. Brown
--ImageRemoved--

I think "the 'the'" is acceptable if the 'the' is part of a technical term, so you would put another "the" in front. So maybe this is not absolutely an error.

User avatar
Cavalier

Gold
Posts: 1993
Joined: Mon Apr 13, 2009 6:13 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby Cavalier » Thu Jul 07, 2011 8:55 am

You're an idiot. He's citing to an argument that he previously made simply because he's making that same argument again; he's clearly not citing his past decisions as binding authority. There was absolutely no reason to make this thread.

User avatar
Emma.

Gold
Posts: 2402
Joined: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:57 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby Emma. » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:00 am

Anheuser-Busch, Inc. v. Beer, Soft Drink, Water, Fruit Juice, Carbonic Gas, Liquor Sales Drivers, Helpers, Inside Workers, Bottlers, Warehousemen, School, Sightseeing, Charter Bus Drivers, General Promotions Employees, and Employees of Affiliated Industries, Malster, Laborers, Syrup, Yeast, Food, Vinegar, Brewery, Recycling and Miscellaneous Workers of Chicago and Vicinity, Illinois, Local Unions No. 744, Affiliated with the International Brotherhood of Teamsters, 280 F.3d 1133 (2002)

nymario

Bronze
Posts: 239
Joined: Mon Apr 05, 2010 7:57 pm

Re: Most amazing citations you will ever see.

Postby nymario » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:05 am

Cavalier wrote:You're an idiot. He's citing to an argument that he previously made simply because he's making that same argument again; he's clearly not citing his past decisions as binding authority. There was absolutely no reason to make this thread.


Agreed. This is substantially what I said, supra, but I join your opinion in full.



Return to “Forum for Law School Students�

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 10 guests