Bar exam panic

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
transferguy

Re: Bar exam panic

Postby transferguy » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:55 am

nealric wrote:I scored just over 100 on the barbri practice and scored in the 150s on the real deal.

This makes me feel better. I had a feeling the Barbri practice exam was overly difficult relative to the actual MBE.

Arrow

Postby Arrow » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:23 pm

transferguy wrote:
nealric wrote:I scored just over 100 on the barbri practice and scored in the 150s on the real deal.

This makes me feel better. I had a feeling the Barbri practice exam was overly difficult relative to the actual MBE.

That's what I thought too. The thing is though, that people keep telling me that BarBri was too easy, and that I need to take the Kaplan thing. I can't tell if this is true, or if it is just a marketing ploy to buy more MBE problems.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:32 pm

I hope all of you did well on the bar exam. I think I did well enough to pass, but who knows. At least I don't have to study now!

LawSchoolWannaBe

Postby LawSchoolWannaBe » Thu Jul 28, 2011 7:10 am

GatorStudent wrote:I hope all of you did well on the bar exam. I think I did well enough to pass, but who knows. At least I don't have to study now!

Yay for those of us in Texas having another day of fun!

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:40 am

Arrow wrote:
transferguy wrote:

That's what I thought too. The thing is though, that people keep telling me that BarBri was too easy, and that I need to take the Kaplan thing. I can't tell if this is true, or if it is just a marketing ploy to buy more MBE problems.

The MBE was way harder than any of the Barbri materials suggested it would be.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:35 pm

LawSchoolWannaBe wrote:Yay for those of us in Texas having another day of fun!

Ugh, I'm sorry. I knew that CA had another day, but didn't realize that TX did either.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Thu Jul 28, 2011 5:37 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:
Arrow wrote:
transferguy wrote:

The MBE was way harder than any of the Barbri materials suggested it would be.

I've heard others who took BarBri who said that. I thought the first half was fairly difficult (it was comparable to Kaplan's simulated final exam), but many of my friends and I felt that the second half wasn't really bad.

EDIT: And FL's first essay was absurd. Most people said they had little clue what was going on. But the second two essays were basic--the key was being able to type fast enough to get it all down in time.

ManLaw

Postby ManLaw » Thu Jul 28, 2011 6:18 pm

That MBE was tough stuff. All of the questions were hitting from a slightly different angle than the BarBri questions, not very representative.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Fri Jul 29, 2011 10:52 am

The only thing that worries me is that I had quite a string of the same letters for a decent stretch. I always get nervous when that happens!

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:52 pm

The MBE was a joke compared to MPQ1 sets 5 and 6. You guys can't be serious. I also had a stretch at some point with 5 or 6 Ds in a row.

According to XOXO I did well. They have a decent thread going.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sat Jul 30, 2011 11:15 pm

in my eyes wrote:The MBE was a joke compared to MPQ1 sets 5 and 6. You guys can't be serious. I also had a stretch at some point with 5 or 6 Ds in a row.

According to XOXO I did well. They have a decent thread going.

I also had a decent stretch of D's, and I feel confident after seeing that thread.

in my eyes

Postby in my eyes » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:55 pm

Note. I wasn't saying the MBE was easy. The MBE is always a tough test. Compared to MPQ 1 sets 5 and 6 however it wasn't bad at all. Questions were MUCH shorter and more focused. I'd often find w the advanced Barbri Qs I knew the law but had no idea what the question was asking. Not the case at all on the MBE.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:28 pm

in my eyes wrote:Note. I wasn't saying the MBE was easy. The MBE is always a tough test. Compared to MPQ 1 sets 5 and 6 however it wasn't bad at all. Questions were MUCH shorter and more focused. I'd often find w the advanced Barbri Qs I knew the law but had no idea what the question was asking. Not the case at all on the MBE.

Disagree. I was pulling 90% on sets 5 and 6, scored a 163 on the simulated MBE, a 170 on the extra full-day test in MPQ2. I had to guess (literal guess - not "I'm pretty sure it's A but it might be B," I'm talking coin-flip) between two choices on at least 60 of the MBE questions - probably more than that. There were at least 10 that I just threw my hands up on and filled in a random bubble, maybe having axed one choice.

Granted, I had a death in the family the week before the MBE, and that really screwed me up, but it doesn't account for all of it.

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Sun Oct 09, 2011 9:33 pm

I guess I shouldn't have fretted too much about getting a string of the same answer choices...I did well on the real deal. (I got a 158; on the Kaplan's final MBE exam, I was twenty questions above the 99%. IIRC, I got around a 140 on the Kaplan final MBE exam.) I hope everyone else did well and passed too (if you don't know yet, good luck!).

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:46 am

How do you find out what your MBE score was if you passed?

Oh and yay for passing. Now I just have to look forward to taking another bar exam in three years or so when my fiancee gets a job in the middle of nowhere :evil: :evil: :evil:

GatorStudent

Postby GatorStudent » Tue Oct 11, 2011 10:10 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:How do you find out what your MBE score was if you passed?

Oh and yay for passing. Now I just have to look forward to taking another bar exam in three years or so when my fiancee gets a job in the middle of nowhere :evil: :evil: :evil:

In FL, they eventually send you a letter where they give you a breakdown of your scores for Part A, which is the day where they test on FL subjects, and Part B, which is the day when the MBE is administered. Now, I don't know if FL scales the Part B scores, if the MBE does, or if both do, but even if they scaled it a lot, it seems that I did well on the MBE.

EDIT: I hope you don't have to take another bar exam. IIRC, you don't have to in D.C. if you have a good enough MBE score. Maybe she can look for a job there?

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”