Coming down from my Ivory Tower

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
sunynp
Posts: 1899
Joined: Tue May 24, 2011 2:06 pm

Re: Coming down from my Ivory Tower

Postby sunynp » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:09 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:I realized I had nothing to worry about when I started reading the flawed logic of T14 Paradise. Conspiracy theories have been around since the beginning of time, and many people are either scaring themselves into doing well, or just buying the logic of those who don't know.

Work hard, do your best, and even from a TTTT you can find a good job.


Yes, just like the girl who inspired the OP - a job that doesn't require a JD.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Coming down from my Ivory Tower

Postby Bronte » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Zazelmaf wrote:I realized I had nothing to worry about when I started reading the flawed logic of T14 Paradise. Conspiracy theories have been around since the beginning of time, and many people are either scaring themselves into doing well, or just buying the logic of those who don't know.

Work hard, do your best, and even from a TTTT you can find a good job.


You can get a good job, but you probably won't.

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Coming down from my Ivory Tower

Postby flcath » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:37 am

Well I (mistakenly) thought this thread was going to take a more original, nuanced direction...

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Coming down from my Ivory Tower

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:43 am

lawgod wrote:The kicker was today when a young lady walked in from another office across the country, and told me she'd gone to John Marshall. John Marshall? TTTT? And she's working in my legal department?


rangers0412 wrote:not john marshal..... In your legal department??? I THOUGHT THERE WERE LAWS AGAINST THAT


lawgod wrote:So I found out today that she is doing a job that doesn't require a JD to be hired for.
I'm back to my tower. (Gee; I wonder what all those peasants are doing in law school.)


I love this site.

User avatar
rayiner
Posts: 6184
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2008 11:43 am

Re: Coming down from my Ivory Tower

Postby rayiner » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:51 am

Remember there are 3 times as many students at T3 and T4 schools (15,000) as there are students in the entire T14. That means 150 students in top 1% of their class. So it's undoubtable that you're going to run into the occasional person from a non-T14 school even at top firms, because for nearly all firms absolutely exceptional grades will make them overlook a school they don't favor highly. But if you look it it globally, they make up maybe 2-3% of the summer class of a top firm despite making up 33% of all JDs.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Coming down from my Ivory Tower

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 09, 2011 11:58 am

rayiner wrote:Remember there are 3 times as many students at T3 and T4 schools (15,000) as there are students in the entire T14. That means 150 students in top 1% of their class. So it's undoubtable that you're going to run into the occasional person from a non-T14 school even at top firms, because for nearly all firms absolutely exceptional grades will make them overlook a school they don't favor highly. But if you look it it globally, they make up maybe 2-3% of the summer class of a top firm despite making up 33% of all JDs.


If there's one thing I've learned about TTT-deniers, it's that they absolutely refuse to acknowledge the numbers. You just have to work hard and try your best, and you can do anything you put your mind to. Why are you so negative?

User avatar
bk1
Posts: 18422
Joined: Sun Mar 14, 2010 7:06 pm

Re: Coming down from my Ivory Tower

Postby bk1 » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:01 pm

Bronte wrote:If there's one thing I've learned about TTT-deniers, it's that they absolutely refuse to acknowledge the numbers. You just have to work hard and try your best, and you can do anything you put your mind to. Why are you so negative?


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millennial_Generation

flcath
Posts: 1502
Joined: Fri Nov 06, 2009 11:39 pm

Re: Coming down from my Ivory Tower

Postby flcath » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:02 pm

Bronte wrote:
rayiner wrote:Remember there are 3 times as many students at T3 and T4 schools (15,000) as there are students in the entire T14. That means 150 students in top 1% of their class. So it's undoubtable that you're going to run into the occasional person from a non-T14 school even at top firms, because for nearly all firms absolutely exceptional grades will make them overlook a school they don't favor highly. But if you look it it globally, they make up maybe 2-3% of the summer class of a top firm despite making up 33% of all JDs.


If there's one thing I've learned about TTT-deniers, it's that they absolutely refuse to acknowledge the numbers. You just have to work hard and try your best, and you can do anything you put your mind to. Why are you so negative?

I think the ex ante evaluation on TLS is fine.

I think the ex post evaluation is unrealistically skewed in favor of top schools.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Coming down from my Ivory Tower

Postby Bronte » Sat Jul 09, 2011 12:05 pm

flcath wrote:I think the ex ante evaluation on TLS is fine.

I think the ex post evaluation is unrealistically skewed in favor of top schools.


Sure, I'm with you. I was more referring to posters (like at least one or two ITT) who believe that a few anecdotes about T4 students getting jobs means these schools are completely vindicated of their otherwise horrendous job prospects.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cavalier1138, splitterfromhell and 11 guests