Recommended Classes for a 2L Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Hadlendale

New

Recommended Classes for a 2L

Post by Hadlendale » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:30 am

I'm sort of at a loss of what to take my 2L year. Anyone have a good resource that can describe what classes are like and what classes are recommended for different career paths? The little blurbs that my school provides aren't very helpful.

Holly Golightly

Gold

Re: Recommended Classes for a 2L

Post by Holly Golightly » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:53 am

Uncurved classes with profs who are known to be easy graders.

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:56 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Uncurved classes with profs who are known to be easy graders.
Fucking schools that aren't UVA. Technically I think we even curve like 7 person seminars. And our curve is to a 3.3 on a realistic distribution, not to a 4.5 with the median grade being an A+ like NU.

* mutter mutter mutter *

Hadlendale

New

Post by Hadlendale » Sun Jul 03, 2011 2:33 am

Holly Golightly wrote:Uncurved classes with profs who are known to be easy graders.

I see what you're getting at, but lets assume I have already signed up for the few of these that my school actually offers and still need units.

Borhas

Platinum

Post by Borhas » Sun Jul 03, 2011 10:56 am

Hadlendale wrote:

I see what you're getting at, but lets assume I have already signed up for the few of these that my school actually offers and still need units.
then supplement w/ non-gpa classes
Last edited by Borhas on Sun Jan 28, 2018 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

kurla88

Bronze

Post by kurla88 » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:08 am

Every time a professor says "You'll learn about this in X class", make a note, and think about whether you care enough to take this class, especially if it's mentioned multiple times.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:21 am

thesealocust wrote:
Fucking schools that aren't UVA. Technically I think we even curve like 7 person seminars. And our curve is to a 3.3 on a realistic distribution, not to a 4.5 with the median grade being an A+ like NU.

* mutter mutter mutter *
I had a few friends in a...6? person class, and I was told that the professor has the option of curving to either 3.3 or the mean of all their GPAs. What probably ends up happening is the prof goes to whichever is higher unless they're heartless, so technically we can engage in the lightest of grade inflation.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:42 am

dailygrind wrote:
thesealocust wrote:
* mutter mutter mutter *
I had a few friends in a...6? person class, and I was told that the professor has the option of curving to either 3.3 or the mean of all their GPAs. What probably ends up happening is the prof goes to whichever is higher unless they're heartless, so technically we can engage in the lightest of grade inflation.
That's true--professors in seminars can curve to the average GPA of the students. But they can't do it for larger lecture classes, so Fed Courts will still have a 3.3 curve. I can't think of many classes that have significantly higher curves though. The Supreme Court Litigation Clinic is generally curved to around a 3.7, and I'm guessing any Howard, Schwartzman, or Prakash seminar will also have a high curve.

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Post by Kobe_Teeth » Sun Jul 03, 2011 11:57 am

I was wondering about this myself. I know there are a few curved classes I need to take. But just how strategically advantageous is it to take courses that are not curved to just continue boosting the gpa? (I go T2, top 1/3, only had a passing interest in jobs that could be had through OCI and really don't now...as I won't be getting any of them - lol).

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

dood

Gold

Post by dood » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:08 pm

search tls, there was a good thread, maybe a couple. largely depends what kind of law u want to go into. talk with 3Ls in ur area of law.

BruceWayne

Gold

Post by BruceWayne » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:14 pm

Cavalier wrote: That's true--professors in seminars can curve to the average GPA of the students. But they can't do it for larger lecture classes, so Fed Courts will still have a 3.3 curve. I can't think of many classes that have significantly higher curves though. The Supreme Court Litigation Clinic is generally curved to around a 3.7, and I'm guessing any Howard, Schwartzman, or Prakash seminar will also have a high curve.
Lol talk about the rich getting richer; isn't that worth 8 credits?!

thesealocust

Platinum

Post by thesealocust » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:25 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Cavalier wrote: That's true--professors in seminars can curve to the average GPA of the students. But they can't do it for larger lecture classes, so Fed Courts will still have a 3.3 curve. I can't think of many classes that have significantly higher curves though. The Supreme Court Litigation Clinic is generally curved to around a 3.7, and I'm guessing any Howard, Schwartzman, or Prakash seminar will also have a high curve.
Half of it is pass/fail, and based on the people who got in I think the average GPA of the class is probably higher than a 3.7. Freaking gunners.

Cavalier

Gold

Post by Cavalier » Sun Jul 03, 2011 12:35 pm

thesealocust wrote:
BruceWayne wrote:
Half of it is pass/fail, and based on the people who got in I think the average GPA of the class is probably higher than a 3.7. Freaking gunners.
Yes, only four credits are graded. And the nearly guaranteed A- hurts most participants' GPAs. Of course, the one or two As that are awarded are likely given to the students who have a shot at SCOTUS, so in a sense, the extremely rich do get richer.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Jul 03, 2011 1:25 pm

BruceWayne wrote:
Looks more like the rich are staying just as rich as they were.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 am

Take some classes over at the B-school. Those are pretty fun and extremely easy. Probably graded pass/fail at your school as well (it was at mine). Really any class graded pass/fail is extremely easy - I'm pretty confident that it is literally impossible to fail a law school class at a t14. Or you could take some law and ___ classes.

Just make sure you take some real classes as well (e.g. corporations, secured transactions, evidence, fed courts, etc.), if you want to do work in fed government, clerk, etc.

jawsome

New

Post by jawsome » Sat Jul 09, 2011 2:33 am

Every professor I've talked to says the only two classes you absolutely need to take are evidence and criminal procedure, the latter primarily just to pass the bar if you're going into civil.

Take whatever you're interested, but take Evidence as soon as possible because it's the one class countless jobs require as a prereq to apply.

Also, don't bet on uncurved seminars. They can be very, very hard and/or require much more time than you'd expect. My 2 unit, non-GPA seminar last semester took up probably 60% of my time.

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sat Jul 09, 2011 5:26 pm

jawsome wrote:Take whatever you're interested, but take Evidence as soon as possible because it's the one class countless jobs require as a prereq to apply.
What jobs require you to take evidence to apply? ... I applied to a lot of jobs while I was in law school, and I don't recall a single one requiring your to take evidence to apply. Personally, I think taking evidence your last semester of law school is a pretty good game plan, since that way it'll be fresh in your head going into barprep (although I didn't do that)

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Oban

Silver

Post by Oban » Sat Jul 09, 2011 6:56 pm

The only jobs that require evidence are in Crim prosecution/defense

billbrasky

New

Post by billbrasky » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:23 pm

crim pro and evidence are always good to take--they are on the bar exam

XxSpyKEx

Gold

Post by XxSpyKEx » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:44 pm

Oban wrote:The only jobs that require evidence are in Crim prosecution/defense
That sounds accurate. Neither of those require evidence to apply for internships while still in law school, though, so I'm not sure that it's necessary to "take Evidence as soon as possible."
billbrasky wrote:crim pro and evidence are always good to take--they are on the bar exam
Lol... a lot of stuff is on the bar exam. Not sure that alone is a good reason to take the class though. (Although I'd recommend taking evidence)

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 7:45 pm

Wait. Other schools seriously have non-curved classes?

That's fucked up.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Holly Golightly

Gold

Post by Holly Golightly » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:07 pm

Kronk wrote:Wait. Other schools seriously have non-curved classes?

That's fucked up.
Does your school even have grades?

Kronk

Diamond

Post by Kronk » Sat Jul 09, 2011 8:15 pm

Holly Golightly wrote:
Kronk wrote:Wait. Other schools seriously have non-curved classes?

That's fucked up.
Does your school even have grades?
Sadly our faux-grades actually matter, so yes. All our classes are curved, too. I didn't realize some schools didn't curve.

BunkMoreland

Bronze

Post by BunkMoreland » Sun Jul 10, 2011 1:56 pm

Corporations and Securities Regulation are really good for big firm summer jobs

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”