1L Class = $20,169,000.00

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

1L Class = $20,169,000.00

Postby Renne Walker » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:37 am

I was just playing with my new calculator. I punched in the tuition sticker price times the size of my 1L class. $44,820 x 450 = $20,169,000. Wow. Even if I deducted 25% for those paying less than sticker, the school’s gross income still exceeds $15,000,000.00. And I still say Wow.

My projection, the annual T-14 (15 schools) income exceeds $300,000.000, minus scholarship deductions. Of course another calculation is to estimate that there will be 45,000 L1 law students, paying an average of $35,000.00, for a grand total of: $1.575B.

Do you think this might explain why there are so many law schools?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 1L Class = $20,169,000.00

Postby fatduck » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:40 am

context. americans spend $34B annually on hocus-pocus alternative medicine. spending money on law school is far from the dumbest thing we do.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: 1L Class = $20,169,000.00

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:40 am

Renne Walker wrote:Do you think this might explain why there are so many law schools?

Well, if law schools weren't at least potentially profitable, then probably you wouldn't be seeing for-profit law schools.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: 1L Class = $20,169,000.00

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:41 am

fatduck wrote:context. americans spend $34B annually on hocus-pocus alternative medicine. spending money on law school is far from the dumbest thing we do.

STFU about my holy water. IT WORKS.

User avatar
Moxie
Posts: 665
Joined: Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:27 pm

Re: 1L Class = $20,169,000.00

Postby Moxie » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:53 am

Renne Walker wrote:Do you think this might explain why there are so many law schools?


Obviously yes.

User avatar
luckyme
Posts: 367
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:41 pm

Re: 1L Class = $20,169,000.00

Postby luckyme » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:59 am

fatduck wrote:context. americans spend $34B annually on hocus-pocus alternative medicine. spending money on law school is far from the dumbest thing we do.


lol homeopathy

theantiscalia
Posts: 320
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 11:18 pm

Re: 1L Class = $20,169,000.00

Postby theantiscalia » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:04 pm

Renne Walker wrote:I was just playing with my new calculator. I punched in the tuition sticker price times the size of my 1L class. $44,820 x 450 = $20,169,000. Wow. Even if I deducted 25% for those paying less than sticker, the school’s gross income still exceeds $15,000,000.00. And I still say Wow.

My projection, the annual T-14 (15 schools) income exceeds $300,000.000, minus scholarship deductions. Of course another calculation is to estimate that there will be 45,000 L1 law students, paying an average of $35,000.00, for a grand total of: $1.575B.

Do you think this might explain why there are so many law schools?


That's actually not as much money as you think. Let's say the average school has $15M. Let's further assume the average faculty cost $150,000 per year. (A large number by many standards, but far less than the professors could make in industry.) That means a school could afford about 100 faculty.

That's ignoring the millions (and it is several million) spent on the library. And completely ignores other expenditures, like staff, supplies, power, the cost of building the building, et cetera.

Believe it or not, most of the top schools money will come from endowed funds, and another sizeable chunk from research grants.

But you're right... most law schools do run a surplus and subsidize the rest of the university...

User avatar
Borhas
Posts: 4862
Joined: Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:09 pm

Re: 1L Class = $20,169,000.00

Postby Borhas » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:27 pm

fatduck wrote:context. americans spend $34B annually on hocus-pocus alternative medicine. spending money on law school is far from the dumbest thing we do.


we also spend $16 billion annually on bottled water

we're not poor, we're stupid

User avatar
Renne Walker
Posts: 546
Joined: Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:12 am

Re: 1L Class = $20,169,000.00

Postby Renne Walker » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:57 pm

fatduck wrote: ...spending money on law school is far from the dumbest thing we do.

I agree, somewhat. From the data I read, there will be 27,000 law openings, with 45,000 graduates standing in line to fill those spots. For the 18,000 unlucky ones who paid $630,000,000.00 in tuition (not counting expenses), what exactly is the far dumber thing a person can do??

Of course I may be looking at this all wrong. Maybe the tuitions should be higher, for the purpose of minimizing the number of grads standing in the 27,000 openings line. Realistically, that will not occur because law schools have found their “profitable sweet spot” when it comes to tuition. Basically, it is, fill up the wagon with tuition money, the hell with the mule. Agree?

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: 1L Class = $20,169,000.00

Postby fatduck » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:13 pm

Renne Walker wrote:
fatduck wrote: ...spending money on law school is far from the dumbest thing we do.

I agree, somewhat. From the data I read, there will be 27,000 law openings, with 45,000 graduates standing in line to fill those spots. For the 18,000 unlucky ones who paid $630,000,000.00 in tuition (not counting expenses), what exactly is the far dumber thing a person can do??

Of course I may be looking at this all wrong. Maybe the tuitions should be higher, for the purpose of minimizing the number of grads standing in the 27,000 openings line. Realistically, that will not occur because law schools have found their “profitable sweet spot” when it comes to tuition. Basically, it is, fill up the wagon with tuition money, the hell with the mule. Agree?

the world is built on competition; without failure, it would not function.




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cdotson2, eg13, ellielaw, jchiles, vm223 and 9 guests