Exams - Anyone else notice classmates missing?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
shepdawg

Exams - Anyone else notice classmates missing?

Postby shepdawg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:11 pm

Those guys and gals got up to 3 hours more than you did to take the exam, and got to take it in a private room.

"Learning disabilities" in law school.

How does that make you feel?

smittytron3k

Re: Exams - Anyone else notice classmates missing?

Postby smittytron3k » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:13 pm

Like I'm glad that my school complies with the ADA.

Kobe_Teeth

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:24 pm

shepdawg wrote:Those guys and gals got up to 3 hours more than you did to take the exam, and got to take it in a private room.

"Learning disabilities" in law school.

How does that make you feel?

Annoyed. And like their degrees/resumes should note their lack of efficiency (half-joking). I know, there are sympathizers out there. That's fine. I think special education is valuable to an extent, but at this level, I think its silly.

I don't lose sleep over it, but it certainly rubs me the wrong way.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:29 pm

Your an idiot for not understanding what having a learning disability is.

moandersen

Postby moandersen » Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:36 pm

uvahooo wrote:Your an idiot for not understanding what having a learning disability is.

possibly. but is a partner going to give the associate 1.5x the time to complete an assignment because the associate has adhd? i have no idea, but my uneducated guess is no.

however, ive worked with kids who had lds (worked in a hs for a number of years) so I feel like I have at least a minimal amount of understanding.

tough discussion to have without it becoming hostile imo.

nymario

Postby nymario » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:20 pm

uvahooo wrote:Your an idiot for not understanding what having a learning disability is.

You're an idiot because you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:21 pm

nymario wrote:

You're an idiot because you don't know the difference between "your" and "you're".

he has a learning disability, you insensitive fuck

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:27 pm

fatduck wrote:
nymario wrote:

I lol'ed

shepdawg

Postby shepdawg » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:28 pm

Is it really a disability if you have learned to overcome it and have had enough academic success to be admitted to law school?

Having earned a M.Ed. in special education, I would be sorely dissapointed in myself if I didn't know what a learning disability was.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:29 pm

fatduck wrote:
nymario wrote:

:lol: :lol:

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:30 pm

shepdawg wrote:

Is it really a disability if you have learned to overcome it and have had enough academic success to be admitted to law school?

Having earned a M.Ed. in special education, I would be sorely dissapointed in myself if I didn't know what a learning disability was.

they have academic success because they get extra time for exams

BruceWayne

Postby BruceWayne » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:33 pm

It bothered me a lot more once I realized that many of the same people are the one's getting A's and A+s.

de5igual

Postby de5igual » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:35 pm

BruceWayne wrote:It bothered me a lot more once I realized that many of the same people are the one's getting A's and A+s.

+1

TaipeiMort

Postby TaipeiMort » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:41 pm

I have a neuro-motor disability which makes it very difficult for me to write with my hands. I can type a little below average wpm (not as fast as the majority), which I guess puts me at a small disadvantage on exams, but I think I'd feel pretty dirty if I got more time on exams.

There must be some type of real disability which puts these kids at a disadvantage. I can't imagine ADHD being the reason.

I really hope PC reasons are not leading deans in giving these kids the advantage. I guess ADA reasons would lead deans to give students the benefit of the doubt, no matter what. There are at least 5 (2.5 percent) at my T6 that are claiming class room note taking assistance needed. I hope they don't get an unfair advantage on exams.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Tue Jun 28, 2011 9:50 pm

Read the title and thought this thread was about hardcore gunners and sabotage tactics. Less exciting than I thought.

Cavalier

Postby Cavalier » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:03 pm

I'm not sure how they factor in since I know of no one who receives extra time for a learning disability at UVA. I'd of course be upset to learn that one of them received an A+ for an 8000 word answer on a three hour exam (if he's typing that much, he obviously received too much extra time), but I doubt that happens very often, if ever. No school would ever do this, but I do think it would be worth tracking the students who receive extra time to ensure that their grades form a normal distribution. If the students receiving extra time tend to do significantly better, this indicates they have an unfair advantage (unless the disabled are just naturally gifted, which seems improbable).

theantiscalia

Postby theantiscalia » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:11 pm

beachbum wrote:
fatduck wrote:
nymario wrote:

I lol'ed

Not going to lie... best TLS post ever goes to fatduck...

I'm still laughing...

fltanglab

Postby fltanglab » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:16 pm

One of my friends gets extra time because of anxiety attacks during exams. So that could be a possibility.

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 10:46 pm

jeez this thread is full of hate.

Okay, I get it. However, I was a teacher at an elementary school for two years before law school (teach for america baby). Learning disabilities do exist and they hamper the way someone learns in VERY extreme ways. Granted, i think it's crack if you abuse the system. But, are you willing to take away "special tools" for the learning disabled b/c some people abuse the system?

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:05 pm

people who complain about this are the same people who complain about URM's "taking their spots."

Be lucky your biggest problems in life aren't that the fucking letters on the page look backwards, cerebral palsy, or crippling academic anxiety (of which the only effective treatment usually involves medication that slightly but demonstrably impacts things like typing/writing and memory).

uvahooo

Postby uvahooo » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:06 pm

TheKingintheNorth wrote:people who complain about this are the same people who complain about URM's "taking their spots."

Be lucky your biggest problems in life aren't that the fucking letters on the page look backwards, cerebral palsy, or crippling academic anxiety (of which the only effective treatment usually involves medication that slightly but demonstrably impacts things like typing/writing and memory).

this is exactly my point....

$1.99

Postby $1.99 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:09 pm

im not complaining about them "taking my spot". i am saying they won't get these "tools" in the workplace so why do they get them in the class. it gives an unfair picture to employers. it is not like they have a mark next to their grades that state they have a disability.

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:10 pm

plus if these people really preform significantly worse than their test scores predict in the real worlds, then it'll work itself out in the long run.

FantasticMrFox

Postby FantasticMrFox » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:11 pm

Cavalier wrote:I do think it would be worth tracking the students who receive extra time to ensure that their grades form a normal distribution. If the students receiving extra time tend to do significantly better, this indicates they have an unfair advantage.

+1

TheKingintheNorth

Postby TheKingintheNorth » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:14 pm

$1.99 wrote:im not complaining about them "taking my spot". i am saying they won't get these "tools" in the workplace so why do they get them in the class. it gives an unfair picture to employers. it is not like they have a mark next to their grades that state they have a disability.

I don't have any background in education, but it's fairly obvious that, in theory, the kinds of "tools" youre talking about are meant to compensate for situations unique to an academic environment.

That may not be true for everyone who gets to use those tools. In fact, many individuals may even be gaming the system for some extra time. But that's ok, because i'm sure there are people who truly do need these tools to overcome obstacles unique to academia that don't prevent them from being great lawyers.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”