Researching a judge in Westlaw/Lexis?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
LAWYER2

Researching a judge in Westlaw/Lexis?

Postby LAWYER2 » Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:15 pm

Can we research judges with our student access to West/Lexis? I noticed LexisNexis has judicial profiling option in the Total-Litigator, but it does not appear to be available to students. Haven't tried Westlaw yet however, are there any suggestions on how to proceed?

wired

Re: Researching a judge in Westlaw/Lexis?

Postby wired » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:03 am

LAWYER2 wrote:Can we research judges with our student access to West/Lexis? I noticed LexisNexis has judicial profiling option in the Total-Litigator, but it does not appear to be available to students. Haven't tried Westlaw yet however, are there any suggestions on how to proceed?

Westlaw, use the databased PROFILER-WLD and it will let you search for judges. You can then view their cases, reversal reports, dockets, etc.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:06 pm

wired wrote:
LAWYER2 wrote:Can we research judges with our student access to West/Lexis? I noticed LexisNexis has judicial profiling option in the Total-Litigator, but it does not appear to be available to students. Haven't tried Westlaw yet however, are there any suggestions on how to proceed?

Westlaw, use the databased PROFILER-WLD and it will let you search for judges. You can then view their cases, reversal reports, dockets, etc.

THANK YOU! :P

Total Litigator

Postby Total Litigator » Wed Jun 29, 2011 1:10 pm

In Westlaw you can also include "JU(judge's name)" in the search box

kalvano

Postby kalvano » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:11 pm

Also, your local bar association might have a poll up on judges and you can see how local lawyers rank them.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”