(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Re: Going home multiple times during first semester

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:04 pm

trudat15 wrote:Thanks for your replies, everyone. I definitely have to go to the Dec one. I plan on being there for the ceremony only and leave the reception only to fly back. If I can figure out a way out of it, I may try.

Just curious, does anyone's opinion change if first semester (quarter for me) only consists of 2 finals which account for 15% of 1L grades?

I'm one of the least serious lawl students I know, and even I turned down a wedding that was during reading week, and it required a 30 minute car ride not a plane ride.

It isn't even the lost time, but like IAFG said you are going to have a horrible time.

Though if you must. Make sure you have outlines before you leave. Whether you make your own or not. Don't plan on studying during the flights or the day of the wedding because you won't. Fly in the night before, fly out the morning after.

Who is the person getting married. It better be best friend/ sister.

trudat15

Postby trudat15 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:12 pm

Last edited by trudat15 on Sun Aug 26, 2012 5:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Thu Jul 14, 2011 2:51 am

In light of current ticket prices, consider buying ahead of time and jumping on any deals that crop up. If you have frequent flyer miles, Thanksgiving is probably the best time to use them.

Moxie

Postby Moxie » Fri Jul 15, 2011 1:08 pm

Pizon wrote:I know this is unpopular around here (OMG need top gradez 4 biglaw), but it's just law school. Years from now, you'd regret missing your childhood friend's wedding more than losing some study time.

THIS. You'll have to work a bit harder in the weeks and days before, but taking time to get away from LS during the stressful periods can also be beneficial.

Dayan114

Postby Dayan114 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 3:58 pm

lawgod wrote:You should be fine. I got through 1L taking off one day every week completely. (Meaning I did no work at all for at least one day each week.) You should all try it- it's rad cool.

Sabbath?

yuzu

Postby yuzu » Fri Jul 22, 2011 5:08 pm

Usually the trouble with flying California to Midwest after school (depending, of course, on where in California and where in the Midwest) is that you're forced to either leave California at 2pm (and miss school) or to leave at midnight (and be extremely tired the next day). Give some thought to flight times...

Other25BeforeYou

Postby Other25BeforeYou » Sun Jul 24, 2011 10:54 am

trudat15 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Who is the person getting married. It better be best friend/ sister.

It's a best friend, but I left the option on the table that I would miss it (with a little white lie about finals). He had the option of Dec 17 (after I would be done) or Dec 3. His fiance chose the 3rd. Bitch. I really dont like her anyways, though, so I feel more justified if I miss.

But if I do go, I'll be sure to stay on top of outlining and studying as much as possible, and plan in advance. Annoying as it is, it's probably what I should be doing regardless on if I go..

I spent two days out of town during reading period my first semester of law school to go to a funeral. I didn't do any work while I was gone, and I didn't know that it was coming (obviously) so I didn't get studying done in advance to make up for it. Oddly, my future career as a lawyer seems completely unscathed.

Go to your friend's wedding.

Thedude737

Postby Thedude737 » Wed Jul 27, 2011 4:20 pm

My girlfriend and I are both in law school, recently finishing our 1L year. Her sister's wedding was in the beginning of December, the Saturday before her civ pro final on a Monday. She was the maid of honor and very involved in the wedding and still managed to pull an A-. She was able to have a good time at the wedding but you could certainly see the stress piling up.

I had my contracts final the following Thursday so I wasn't as cramped on time.

If you know you have a wedding you can't miss in December, just be smart about budgeting your time accordingly. I can be done but careful planning should go into it.

Royal

Postby Royal » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:54 pm

I flew home for several weekends each semester my first year. Probably 3-4 times each semester. I didn't travel during the last 3 weeks or so of each semester. That's when I did most of my work, basically.

Granted I didn't really change timezones when traveling, but I still traveled more than most die-hard "MUST DO LAW SCHOOL 24/7!!" people did. I also didn't find myself in the library at midnight and regularly socialized and enjoyed life (again, with the exception of the final 3 weeks of each semester). Finished solidly top 1/3. Your mileage may vary.

The moral is: don't be the typical law school antisocial weirdo who puts his entire life on the back burner for law school. Granted, law school is time consuming. But if you're studying 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, you're doing it very wrong.

Don't destroy friendships, relationships, and your own personal mental well-being because you think some two day block of studying will make the difference between a good career and a poor career.

Pizon

Postby Pizon » Thu Jul 28, 2011 4:20 am

Royal wrote:I flew home for several weekends each semester my first year. Probably 3-4 times each semester. I didn't travel during the last 3 weeks or so of each semester. That's when I did most of my work, basically.

Granted I didn't really change timezones when traveling, but I still traveled more than most die-hard "MUST DO LAW SCHOOL 24/7!!" people did. I also didn't find myself in the library at midnight and regularly socialized and enjoyed life (again, with the exception of the final 3 weeks of each semester). Finished solidly top 1/3. Your mileage may vary.

The moral is: don't be the typical law school antisocial weirdo who puts his entire life on the back burner for law school. Granted, law school is time consuming. But if you're studying 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, you're doing it very wrong.

Don't destroy friendships, relationships, and your own personal mental well-being because you think some two day block of studying will make the difference between a good career and a poor career.

Yup.

wackadoodle

Postby wackadoodle » Thu Jul 28, 2011 11:50 am

Other25BeforeYou wrote:
trudat15 wrote:
Desert Fox wrote:Who is the person getting married. It better be best friend/ sister.

It's a best friend, but I left the option on the table that I would miss it (with a little white lie about finals). He had the option of Dec 17 (after I would be done) or Dec 3. His fiance chose the 3rd. Bitch. I really dont like her anyways, though, so I feel more justified if I miss.

But if I do go, I'll be sure to stay on top of outlining and studying as much as possible, and plan in advance. Annoying as it is, it's probably what I should be doing regardless on if I go..

I spent two days out of town during reading period my first semester of law school to go to a funeral. I didn't do any work while I was gone, and I didn't know that it was coming (obviously) so I didn't get studying done in advance to make up for it. Oddly, my future career as a lawyer seems completely unscathed.

Go to your friend's wedding.

Same- Went to a funeral during finals week- "lost" 24 hours of study time. Did well. Life happens- a few glasses of wine and a few hours of fun will not cost you a good grade if you were going to do well anyway. It will probably be good to take your mind off studying for a night- just focus hard during hte time you do have to study. Don't miss your good friend's wedding.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”