Self explanatory given my name! Should I drop out?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
xcountryjunkie

Re: Self explanatory given my name! Should I drop out?

Postby xcountryjunkie » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:07 pm

Get work experience through internships. Focus on graduating with a GPA above 3.0 and relax. You won't have the same choices that the top of your class will, but you'll be okay.

Being a good law student is very different from being a good lawyer. Your GPA will limit your first job a lot more than it will your career.

seatown12

Postby seatown12 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:40 pm

xcountryjunkie wrote:Get work experience through internships.

OP: you're not so good at being a student but you might be great at being a lawyer. 1L is to a legal career as the 40 yard dash is to an NFL career.

BlueDiamond

Postby BlueDiamond » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:53 pm

seatown12 wrote:

OP: you're not so good at being a student but you might be great at being a lawyer. 1L is to a legal career as the 40 yard dash is to an NFL career.

http://www.ourlads.com/pdfs/PhysAttribu ... uccess.pdf

page 7 WR, page 12 C, page 20 OT, page 28 TE, page 40 CB, page 48 DE, page 56 S

guess it depends on what position you play?

of course, I only brought attention to the ones that help my point.. and yes, i had time on my hands

El_Gallo

Postby El_Gallo » Wed Jun 29, 2011 10:54 pm

seatown12 wrote: 1L is to a legal career as the 40 yard dash is to an NFL career.

*Clicks "Like It" Button*

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:08 am

I'm still in Team Drop Out.

schooner

Postby schooner » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:52 am

shouldidropout? wrote:I'm just not a good lawyer. I understand the stuff and I enjoy it and I study so hard. Everyone I study with (and even teach doctrine to) gets better grades than me. My GPA is around a 2.8. My first semester I felt so overwhelmed and honestly felt like I panicked. My second semester I worked so hard, bought the E&Es,reviewed everything, took practice tests, felt confident and still did badly.

Hearing stuff like this is kind of scary. Did you go over your (real + practice) tests with your professors and ask them what they liked/disliked about your responses?

shouldidropout?

Postby shouldidropout? » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:09 am

Hi,

Thanks for the advice guys (especially taxguy). I'm meeting with my professors the week before classes start to go over my tests and the career services is putting me in touch with the services available for students. Basically, I was not shocked with my low grades first semester but was horribly shocked second semester. It's obvious that I don't naturally think/write like a lawyer so that's what I'm going to work on - hard.

I've bought LEEWS and I've bought all my next semester E&Es and am reading them now.

Also, I'm not a troll (or flame) but can understand why some people thought that. Sorry about the dramatics in the first post - it's just that I can't tell anyone! Everyone outside is so "impressed" and happy for me and everyone else is at law school and got through it and did better than me. Basically I was in tears all the time and so actually writing the words "I'm a failure" was kinda cathartic.Even having a conversation about this openly with SOMEONE is so helpful so thanks guys (even those people telling me I'm a flame).

BoriquaEsquire - I know what you mean! I enjoy law. I like law school. I want to be a lawyer. I'm looking into all of my options (e.g. consulting etc) but I really want to be a lawyer.

One quick question guys - does any of this change at a higher ranked school? I.e. can any school overcome the stink of my grades?

emciosn

Postby emciosn » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:16 am

seatown12 wrote:

not sure if anyone else watches the draft as closely as me but the Raiders (Al Davis) draft almost exclusively based on forty times. See Heyward-Bey, very fast, terrible NFL football player. So in that sense if law school is like your forty time, is biglaw like the Raiders?

You would just have to be a draft day sleeper (low draft pick, good NFL player) I guess...

schooner

Postby schooner » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:30 am

shouldidropout? wrote:One quick question guys - does any of this change at a higher ranked school? I.e. can any school overcome the stink of my grades?

At my former workplace, about half the people were attorneys. ("Reformed attorneys," some liked to call themselves :) ) NOBODY asks or cares about GPA or rank. Columbia is an extremely well-respected school! Hell, I know people who went to T2-T3 schools and went back to a law firm as partner, and surely Columbia's reputation would give its alumni a leg up in that process. (But I don't know if law firms always ask for GPA, even for hires like that.)

I'm glad you'll be talking with your professors. I'm really curious to hear what they tell you, largely because your post scared me. Good luck!!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”