Professor absent for 1/3rd of the classes?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
danquayle

Re: Professor absent for 1/3rd of the classes?

Postby danquayle » Sat Jun 25, 2011 12:47 am

dailygrind wrote:
danquayle wrote:
traehekat wrote:deal with it, imo, you're all in the same boat.

Yep, that's the beauty of the law school curve. It's all relative. Just study previous exams if the prof makes those available.

This "affects everyone equally" thing is bogus. On average, more randomness hurts good students and helps bad students.

It's definitely not bogus. If you're clever, you figure out what the professor wants. Period. It's just that what professors want varies quite a bit. It's rarely actually random.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:54 am

danquayle wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
danquayle wrote:
traehekat wrote:deal with it, imo, you're all in the same boat.

Yep, that's the beauty of the law school curve. It's all relative. Just study previous exams if the prof makes those available.

This "affects everyone equally" thing is bogus. On average, more randomness hurts good students and helps bad students.

It's definitely not bogus. If you're clever, you figure out what the professor wants. Period. It's just that what professors want varies quite a bit. It's rarely actually random.

I didn't say it was random - I said it was more random. If you're a strong student (by LS standards anyway), you're usually good at figuring out what the professor wants. If you're a weak student, you're worse at it. If it's more difficult to figure out what the professor wants, the stronger student is more likely to be sunk back down to the same playing field as the weak student.

Also, I've definitely had a test where I'd call the outcome really close to random - from what data I've gathered the test had a very weak correlation to the rest of people's grades.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Sat Jun 25, 2011 5:05 pm

Given the fact that a sizable portion of exam success can be attributed to the ability to successfully ascertain what the professor is looking for, wouldn't the fact that the professor was unavailable nearly 40% of the time strongly inhibit the ability to do so?

missinglink

Postby missinglink » Mon Jun 27, 2011 1:45 pm

LAWYER2 wrote:Given the fact that a sizable portion of exam success can be attributed to the ability to successfully ascertain what the professor is looking for, wouldn't the fact that the professor was unavailable nearly 40% of the time strongly inhibit the ability to do so?

Not necessarily. As long as you have access to old exams, the professors attendance is only part of the equation.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:25 pm

Just notified that the one of the Deans will be teaching the remainder of the class. This shitstorm just keeps getting better!

Holly Golightly

Postby Holly Golightly » Tue Jul 05, 2011 8:54 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
IAFG wrote:
shepdawg wrote:
Borhas wrote:I missed about 1/2 my classes, maybe I should ask for a partial refund

How'd you do that? You can only miss 6 before ABA give 0 credit.

lololol DF has earned 0 credits during 1L according to the ABA then...

I'm pretty sure I'd get CLR, Torts, Civ Pro, IP, and MAYBE property. K's, Con Law, Islamic law and Crim would be pwnd. I really don't think I went to Crim 6 times.

I would get credit for Torts, Ks, Crim, maybe CLR, and one of my electives.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”