Law School Timeline/Logistics Question

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
PinkCow

Law School Timeline/Logistics Question

Postby PinkCow » Sun Jun 19, 2011 5:41 pm

Hey all,

So, I know the obvious answer is "don't", but I hope there's another possibility:

Basically, I'm looking at having a surgery done that will put me off my feet for a week and off of some normal activity (i.e., walking with a backpack) for 2-3 weeks. I'll probably be in some state of pain for a couple months after that (nothing narcotics-wise, but there will likely be some). For reasons beyond my control, I can't have this done until at this fall at the earliest when insurance will hopefully cover it.

Anyway, I guess my question is, given the time restriction, I'm looking at having this done during winter break. This will be my 1L year. Is this a horrible idea? I can't really see another option, as summers will now be filled with jobs (or at least that's the expectation). This is a pretty big deal and I'd like to not have it put off for years if at all possible.

Sorry if this is more of a rambling than a question. I'm a little flustered.

Eugenie Danglars

Re: Law School Timeline/Logistics Question

Postby Eugenie Danglars » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:34 am

Winter break sounds like a better time than any other. What would you have to do for school over break anyhow?

Hope your surgery helps!

worldtraveler

Postby worldtraveler » Mon Jun 20, 2011 8:14 am

Talk to the dean of students at your school. Winter break is probably the best time to do it, but you may want to ask about missing classes or modifying your schedule a bit if you will be in a lot of pain.

Winter break is also when a lot of 1Ls start looking for summer jobs. This might be rather hard to do if you're recovering. Career services can't talk to 1Ls until Nov. 1st (I think? Somebody else will know for sure) so you should go in November and talk to them about different strategies for applying if you need that.

PinkCow

Postby PinkCow » Mon Jun 20, 2011 10:40 am

worldtraveler wrote:Talk to the dean of students at your school. Winter break is probably the best time to do it, but you may want to ask about missing classes or modifying your schedule a bit if you will be in a lot of pain.

Winter break is also when a lot of 1Ls start looking for summer jobs. This might be rather hard to do if you're recovering. Career services can't talk to 1Ls until Nov. 1st (I think? Somebody else will know for sure) so you should go in November and talk to them about different strategies for applying if you need that.

Ah thanks for the advice I will look into that. I know that my future school does provide video accommodation and such for medical stuff so maybe that's what I'll have to do if it comes down to it. And yes I will have to be very proactive early on RE jobs. I can't imagine applications + OXY is a good thing.

BeenDidThat

Postby BeenDidThat » Mon Jun 20, 2011 2:03 pm

I think the beginning of winter break is by far your best bet. The worst would probably be over by the time you got back to school. Avoiding pain during classes is a good idea, and you'd be better by the time 2nd semester exams roll around. The only things I did during winter break were research employers and send out more applications. But you could probably just front load job apps, wait for your grades to roll in to update your resume, and send em out.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”