Class Rank Estimator

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Sandrew
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 6:01 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby Sandrew » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:00 am

Neat tool!

I tried a different methodology, using the actual grade distributions posted for our section's exams and running a simulation for a hypothetical class of 3,200 students. My free variable is the correlation of grades across courses each student. I hypothesized that there should be positive correlation, since students who do well in class x are more likely to do well in class y. Obviously, higher correlation pushes the cut-offs up a bit.

For the curious, here's a selection of estimated class rank cut-offs at GULC based on first semester 1L grades (in my section).

Top [x%]...Cut-off GPA
1%...3.91
2%...3.87
3%...3.84
4%...3.81
5%...3.78
6%...3.76
7%...3.75
8%...3.72
9%...3.71
10%...3.69 ***NOTE: I calibrated the correlation variable to hit this number***
15%...3.62
33%...3.44
50%...3.32

PM me if you're curious about the methodology and sensitivity. Spreadsheet is too cumbersome to post to GoogleDocs, unfortunately.

temperance
Posts: 18
Joined: Fri Jun 24, 2011 6:14 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby temperance » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:55 pm

nice. thanks for doing the work on this!

Baronessa_Esq
Posts: 10
Joined: Mon May 09, 2011 9:11 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby Baronessa_Esq » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:06 am

NYC Law wrote:
niederbomb wrote:So it won't let me change the values, nor does right clicking do anything.


Should be good to go now. The editable class rank calc is the first page. If you click the tab at the bottom for the locked (protected copy) you can duplicate it. I've also integrated the combined GPA/Rank Calc into the spreadsheet.



Trying to operate it but I don't see anywhere I can calculate all my grades and possible rank (even though I only have grades from 1st semester)

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:17 am

Baronessa_Esq wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
niederbomb wrote:So it won't let me change the values, nor does right clicking do anything.


Should be good to go now. The editable class rank calc is the first page. If you click the tab at the bottom for the locked (protected copy) you can duplicate it. I've also integrated the combined GPA/Rank Calc into the spreadsheet.



Trying to operate it but I don't see anywhere I can calculate all my grades and possible rank (even though I only have grades from 1st semester)

The calculator assumes you have calculated your GPA.

User avatar
NYC Law
Posts: 1569
Joined: Thu May 26, 2011 3:33 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby NYC Law » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:00 am

Baronessa_Esq wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
niederbomb wrote:So it won't let me change the values, nor does right clicking do anything.


Should be good to go now. The editable class rank calc is the first page. If you click the tab at the bottom for the locked (protected copy) you can duplicate it. I've also integrated the combined GPA/Rank Calc into the spreadsheet.



Trying to operate it but I don't see anywhere I can calculate all my grades and possible rank (even though I only have grades from 1st semester)


There are two sheets, one if you have your gpa, and another one that calculates it (good for speculative grades). I haven't looked at the spreadsheet in a while though, so the second type of sheet might be buried under 100 copies of the first sheet.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby 3|ink » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:53 am

NYC Law wrote:
Baronessa_Esq wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
niederbomb wrote:So it won't let me change the values, nor does right clicking do anything.


Should be good to go now. The editable class rank calc is the first page. If you click the tab at the bottom for the locked (protected copy) you can duplicate it. I've also integrated the combined GPA/Rank Calc into the spreadsheet.



Trying to operate it but I don't see anywhere I can calculate all my grades and possible rank (even though I only have grades from 1st semester)


There are two sheets, one if you have your gpa, and another one that calculates it (good for speculative grades). I haven't looked at the spreadsheet in a while though, so the second type of sheet might be buried under 100 copies of the first sheet.

Really? Yeah. It's long gone.

And how does it calculate your gpa? Does it make assumptions about quality point distribution per grade?

User avatar
crossarmant
Posts: 1116
Joined: Fri Jan 14, 2011 8:01 am

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby crossarmant » Tue Jun 05, 2012 6:41 am

Would anyone be able to get this spreadsheet working again or have another Rank placement calculator? This was working at the end of last semester, but isn't now for some reason. My school doesn't rank so it would help me get a better idea. Thanks.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:38 pm

crossarmant wrote:Would anyone be able to get this spreadsheet working again or have another Rank placement calculator? This was working at the end of last semester, but isn't now for some reason. My school doesn't rank so it would help me get a better idea. Thanks.


Use the manual workaround for now. I wrote it myself and will guarantee that the math is correct. If anyone else wants to create a shared spreadsheet, I would happily edit your link into the OP and give you credit.

User avatar
homestyle28
Posts: 2312
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:48 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby homestyle28 » Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:32 pm

dailygrind wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Would anyone be able to get this spreadsheet working again or have another Rank placement calculator? This was working at the end of last semester, but isn't now for some reason. My school doesn't rank so it would help me get a better idea. Thanks.


Use the manual workaround for now. I wrote it myself and will guarantee that the math is correct. If anyone else wants to create a shared spreadsheet, I would happily edit your link into the OP and give you credit.


Am I the only one getting an error on this? DIV/0 error

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby ilovesf » Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:11 pm

homestyle28 wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
crossarmant wrote:Would anyone be able to get this spreadsheet working again or have another Rank placement calculator? This was working at the end of last semester, but isn't now for some reason. My school doesn't rank so it would help me get a better idea. Thanks.


Use the manual workaround for now. I wrote it myself and will guarantee that the math is correct. If anyone else wants to create a shared spreadsheet, I would happily edit your link into the OP and give you credit.


Am I the only one getting an error on this? DIV/0 error

It works for me but my rank changes slightly based on what data point I use- varies between 3%

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:05 pm

homestyle28 wrote:Am I the only one getting an error on this? DIV/0 error


You are doing something wrong.

ilovesf wrote:It works for me but my rank changes slightly based on what data point I use- varies between 3%


Yeah, it's not the most precise thing in the world. The most accurate choice is the data point closest to your GPA.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby fatduck » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:08 pm

random math question

why does it estimate a higher percentile when you increase the median gpa? shouldn't it be the other way around?

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby dailygrind » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:17 pm

You're tightening the standard deviations more than you're tightening the distance between your grade and median. You stud, you.

ETA: to everyone who doesn't understand teh maths, that was not proof that the formula doesn't work. It works.

User avatar
fatduck
Posts: 4186
Joined: Mon Sep 13, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby fatduck » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:00 am

dailygrind wrote:You're tightening the standard deviations more than you're tightening the distance between your grade and median. You stud, you.

ETA: to everyone who doesn't understand teh maths, that was not proof that the formula doesn't work. It works.

well now i feel like a dick

User avatar
jessuf
Posts: 12555
Joined: Tue Mar 22, 2011 8:27 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby jessuf » Sat Jun 09, 2012 9:48 am

crossarmant wrote:Would anyone be able to get this spreadsheet working again or have another Rank placement calculator? This was working at the end of last semester, but isn't now for some reason. My school doesn't rank so it would help me get a better idea. Thanks.


You can also download the google doc as an excel spreadsheet, and it works fine.

User avatar
Mattalones
Posts: 537
Joined: Sun Dec 03, 2006 8:18 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby Mattalones » Sun Jun 10, 2012 2:07 pm

If anyone can get it to estimate without a median using only then following, I'll give them a high-five!

Top 10% - 3.67
Top 25% - 3.57
Top 33% - 3.53
GPA: 3.21 & 3.34

Top 10% - 3.81
Top 25% - 3.67
Top 33% - 3.61
GPA: 3.50

lynch
Posts: 96
Joined: Mon Apr 02, 2012 12:33 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby lynch » Thu Jun 21, 2012 8:26 am

Nice thread! Thank you for this information. :)

anchuldigs
Posts: 27
Joined: Tue Oct 20, 2009 11:17 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby anchuldigs » Wed Aug 08, 2012 1:43 pm

Color me confused. Here are the stats. Help please?

Top 10% 3.62
Top 25% 3.47
Top 33% 3.44
Top 50% 3.32

GPA 3.51

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby thesealocust » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:19 pm

I'm too lazy to look at your spreadsheet, but can it calculate based on two data points instead of one data point and the mean? Because that's mathematically possible (just did it long-hand) but a friend told me this thread wasn't helpful with only the two data points and not the mean (...so I did the math then asked instead of reading the thread...)

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:39 pm

deleted.
Last edited by Total Litigator on Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Total Litigator
Posts: 695
Joined: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:17 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby Total Litigator » Fri Jan 04, 2013 6:40 pm

anchuldigs wrote:Color me confused. Here are the stats. Help please?

Top 10% 3.62
Top 25% 3.47
Top 33% 3.44
Top 50% 3.32

GPA 3.51



anchuldigs: I did this the mentally handicapped way by drawing a graph. You are top 20% +/- 1%.

redsox550
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:15 am

Postby redsox550 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 11:57 pm

delete
Last edited by redsox550 on Tue Jan 08, 2013 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
thesealocust
Posts: 8447
Joined: Mon Oct 20, 2008 8:50 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby thesealocust » Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:07 am

redsox550 wrote:can someone please claculate this for me, here are the stats from last year

3.81 = 10%
3.335 = 50%
~185 students

calculate for these 3 numbers please 3.77, 3.42, 3.86


The front page is a fucking tool to do it for yourself. And two of them are so close to top 10% that a calculation would be less accurate than eyeballing it.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby dailygrind » Tue Jan 08, 2013 7:05 pm

thesealocust wrote:I'm too lazy to look at your spreadsheet, but can it calculate based on two data points instead of one data point and the mean? Because that's mathematically possible (just did it long-hand) but a friend told me this thread wasn't helpful with only the two data points and not the mean (...so I did the math then asked instead of reading the thread...)


Nah. I think I know how to rewrite so that it could do that calculation, but to be perfectly honest I'm no longer practiced enough with the math to make that a fun use of my time. I could give it an hour or so if there's high demand, though.

User avatar
LSATSCORES2012
Posts: 770
Joined: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:12 pm

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Postby LSATSCORES2012 » Wed Jan 09, 2013 2:31 pm

Just figured I'd stumble in here and let you all know that there is now a calculator using the formula in the OP up at http://mylsn.info/class_rank.php

Note that it will store the known rank/percentile that you use for future users to use (but it will not store your own rank).

Thanks to dailygrind for editing it into the OP :)




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: maddyfatty, mazatec, RareExports, Yahoo [Bot] and 16 guests