Class Rank Estimator Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
NYC Law

Gold

Re: ITT: Someone estimates your class rank.

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:21 pm

dailygrind wrote:
NYC Law wrote: I used a mini z table and 6.8 wasn't included. 6.8 has been added, so try it now.
Oh, I think I see how you're doing it. Did you use normsinv? The formula's straightforward:

=(data point gpa - mean gpa)/normsinv(1-(data point rank/100)
I just ended up using NORMDIST to get the final rank, I figured thats what you were talking about since I was missing that last step. But I see what you mean, it's pretty rudimentary atm. The thing about those google docs is they ensure chaos since everything everyone does is updated real time for everyone else, but its the only thing I've found for making public spreadseets. I'll use that norminv formula though, give me a sec

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:23 pm

NYC Law wrote:
dailygrind wrote:
NYC Law wrote: I used a mini z table and 6.8 wasn't included. 6.8 has been added, so try it now.
Oh, I think I see how you're doing it. Did you use normsinv? The formula's straightforward:

I just ended up using NORMDIST to get the final rank, I figured thats what you were talking about since I was missing that last step. But I see what you mean, it's pretty rudimentary atm. The thing about those google docs is they ensure chaos since everything everyone does is updated real time for everyone else, but its the only thing I've found for making public spreadseets. I'll use that norminv formula though, give me a sec
Oh, my bad. I think I wasn't paying attention when I wrote that bit out. It's been a while since I thought about this stuff and I get sloppy occasionally. I made the spreadsheet a while back, though, so all the math on that part is still good.

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:29 pm

dailygrind wrote:
NYC Law wrote:
dailygrind wrote:

Oh, my bad. I think I wasn't paying attention when I wrote that bit out. It's been a while since I thought about this stuff and I get sloppy occasionally. I made the spreadsheet a while back, though, so all the math on that part is still good.
Just used your formula so it should be a lot smoother now

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:31 pm

NYC Law wrote:Just used your formula so it should be a lot smoother now
Awesome, nice job, man. I'll edit your spreadsheet into the OP.

NarwhalPunter

New

Post by NarwhalPunter » Thu Jun 16, 2011 5:31 pm

NYC Law wrote:I started making an excel spreadsheet for kicks, but I hit a speed bump at the final step. Is there a way to calculate the p from the z score with a formula in excel? My stats memory is a little fuzzy...

Heres what I have so far
https://spreadsheets.google.com/spreads ... n_US#gid=0
You're a badass. Thanks for this.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

NYC Law

Gold

Re: Class Rank Estimator

Post by NYC Law » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:46 pm

Man you guys were quick to mess it up. Only edit the fields in blue.

JusticeHarlan

Gold

Post by JusticeHarlan » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:01 am

Awesome! Thanks a lot.

shepdawg

Bronze

Post by shepdawg » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:01 pm

Is there a way to convert gpa's from a 95 scale to a 4.0 scale?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:42 pm

shepdawg wrote:Is there a way to convert gpa's from a 95 scale to a 4.0 scale?
Maybe there is, but that shouldn't matter. Your 95 scale can be estimated as is. Just pretend the examples correspond with whatever works at your school. The math should work the same.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Hadlendale

New

Post by Hadlendale » Fri Jun 17, 2011 9:51 pm

Anyone know a good method for obtaining an example data point? Or is this just something that is available via google for certain schools?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Fri Jun 17, 2011 10:32 pm

Hadlendale wrote:Anyone know a good method for obtaining an example data point? Or is this just something that is available via google for certain schools?
Word of mouth for what determines honors, I would imagine. My school has a law review grade-on for the top 25 students in our class of ~370, and typically number 25 falls somewhere in the area of 3.7 (this is the common lore of the school, anyway), so we use 3.7 and 25/370 = top 6.8% as our data point.

existenz

Silver

Post by existenz » Sat Jun 18, 2011 4:27 pm

This is awesome, thanks.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Jun 18, 2011 5:37 pm

Lol, looks some someone deleted the formulas.

Edit: Err, I think I fixed it. Someone who should check it though because I've mostly forgotten how to do this.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

NYC Law

Gold

Post by NYC Law » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:17 pm

If anyone fucks it up just right click the protected copy and select duplicate.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:44 pm

NYC Law wrote:If anyone fucks it up just right click the protected copy and select duplicate.
Ha, that would have been easier.

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:45 pm

Nice. This thread looks solid enough to stick around for a while.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:54 pm

Lol these guys can't help but fuck it up. I can rewrite it unless NYC Law wants to do that revert you were talking about.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FantasticMrFox

Silver

Post by FantasticMrFox » Sat Jun 18, 2011 10:55 pm

existenz wrote:This is awesome, thanks.

Bronte

Gold

Post by Bronte » Sat Jun 18, 2011 11:01 pm

We should ask YCrevolution to set up something that's not a shared spreadsheet. There's like 10 people in there fucking with it. Someone just changed one of the categories to "your balls."

futurelawyer413

Bronze

Post by futurelawyer413 » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:06 am

alredy posted this in 1L Grade waiting thread, but wanted to get some thoughts in this thread, so sry for the double posting...

where are you guys getting the mean/median 1L GPA for your school? i found some info from NALP re: top X% and associated GPAs. however, that is for graduates and not 1L. thus, is this a good indicator of class rank or not really?

dailygrind

Diamond

Post by dailygrind » Sun Jun 19, 2011 10:28 am

futurelawyer413 wrote:alredy posted this in 1L Grade waiting thread, but wanted to get some thoughts in this thread, so sry for the double posting...

where are you guys getting the mean/median 1L GPA for your school? i found some info from NALP re: top X% and associated GPAs. however, that is for graduates and not 1L. thus, is this a good indicator of class rank or not really?
The mean is what the courses curve to, and should be common knowledge at most schools. It'll do as a fill-in for the median, which is harder to get. Median at graduation and median as a 1L may or may not be the same, dependent upon whether or not the 1L classes are held to the same curve. At some schools I'm told that it drifts upwards.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

dusk2k2

New

Post by dusk2k2 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:53 am

I'm not so good with math, but this seems to not work in determining class rank at my school. For example, my school gives A+ and all first year classes are curved between 3.0 and 3.3. Yet, using historical numbers, when I put an example gpa of 4.0, it gives a class rank of approximately top 6 percent. This simply cannot be. Heck, when I put the highest gpa in the class, it gives a percentile of top 3 percent. Can anyone explain how this math works?

paulinaporizkova

Gold

Post by paulinaporizkova » Wed Jun 22, 2011 12:58 am

DG wrote:It's not that awesome to vandalize it.
hahaha I can almost hear you saying this in person, shakin your head

nymario

Bronze

Post by nymario » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:47 am

Here's a question: can you list the expected GPAs for the top 20 ranked students. Obviously this will be subject to a good amount of variance, but I'm curious as to how the top 5% is likely to shake out.

Assuming 400 students, Median is 3.177 (mean 3.2 (or slightly less) -- think 3.19-3.195)
10%=3.622
15%=3.511
20%=3.477
25%=3.410

gilgamesh23

New

Post by gilgamesh23 » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:51 pm

anyone know when class rankings typically come out? As in, how long after all final 1L grades are turned in do rankings come out typically for people?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”