UVA Students - Professor John Jeffries

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Giddy-Up

UVA Students - Professor John Jeffries

Postby Giddy-Up » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:03 pm

He is the lecturer for Themis Bar Review for both Con Law and Civil Procedure and is one of the best (in my opinion). Does he teach 1L courses at UVA and is he generally liked? Asked purely for my own curiosity.

5ky

Re: UVA Students - Professor John Jeffries

Postby 5ky » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:12 pm

He does, he taught Crim law last fall. I checked over some of his evaluations, and he seems to be rated very highly.

I believe he was also Dean for UVA for a while, and then finally retired from that to finish off his career teaching.

barry

Postby barry » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:26 pm

Yea he does teach 1L's and people talk about him all the time, from what I hear he basically shuts down any student that disagrees with him but everyone finds him pretty entertaining, supposed to be hard tho

grash

Postby grash » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:29 pm

Giddy-Up wrote:He is the lecturer for Themis Bar Review for both Con Law and Civil Procedure and is one of the best (in my opinion). Does he teach 1L courses at UVA and is he generally liked? Asked purely for my own curiosity.

I had him 1L fall semester as my crim professor. I hear he has a very different teaching style when it comes to 1Ls - most of the upperclassmen who had him for upper level classes said he was the nicest dude ever. I, on the other hand, thought that he was a little bit terrifying. I suspect he hazes the 1Ls a little bit. That said, he was a phenomenal professor. Very entertaining, and obviously quite brilliant.

Giddy-Up

Postby Giddy-Up » Tue Jun 14, 2011 7:33 pm

That is what I suspected. Even though these lectures are long and dry, I find his style of speaking easy to pay attention to and he really understands the intricacies that the bar will test on and hits those points well. Of course, this will make it even more embarassing if I fail the bar.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”