Should I killself? (Poll included)

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Killself?

Yes
60%
No
40%

Total votes: 67

XxSpyKEx

Should I killself? (Poll included)

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:37 am

I'm doing the online version of barbri. Watching these streaming lectures online is so fucking painfully boring. Thinking about trying to jump out of a plane next week without a parachute so I don't ever have to watch another one of these streaming videos ever again. Thoughts?

Is anybody else doing online barbri on here? How are you putting up with these 3+ hour lectures? ... I'm seriously getting to the point where my sole motivation for passing the bar exam this July is to avoid having to watch these videos again in the near future (I'm clerking and there's no requirement to even take the bar exam, so I technically don't even need to take the bar exam until this februrary (or later, if I get another year at another court like I'm trying to do)).

Lawquacious

Re: Should I killself? (Poll included)

Postby Lawquacious » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:49 am

Dude, I've heard if you jump without a parachute with enough skill you can bounce off the ground and survive.. so you would have the best of both worlds. ;)

Or you could really make use of yourself and join the Redbull team by jumping off something crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8U-z-SnbJU

That guy has balls of titanium...

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:50 am

i voted yes, for reasons having nothing to do with the bar exam

Jack Smirks

Postby Jack Smirks » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:54 am

Yes. In the most violent way you can think of.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:09 am

Real men just wing the bar exam. You can't be dumber than 95% of TTT grads.

shoeshine

Postby shoeshine » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:12 am

This is the internet. Of course the answer is kill yourself.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:05 am

Lawquacious wrote:Or you could really make use of yourself and join the Redbull team by jumping off something crazy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s8U-z-SnbJU

That guy has balls of titanium...

Damn that's sick. I wish I had parachuting skills to pull that off -- that would be wicked to jump off a building in a straight up city.

Desert Fox wrote:Real men just wing the bar exam. You can't be dumber than 95% of TTT grads.

:lol:. The distribution sounds pretty crazy. On the last lecture I just got done watching, the woman said that the vast majority of people who fail the bar exam, fail it by 2-3 points (out of a 400 point exam).

cronous

Postby cronous » Mon Jun 13, 2011 5:19 am

Desert Fox wrote:Real men just wing the bar exam. You can't be dumber than 95% of TTT grads.

What is the bar passage rate for say NY or CA, is it lower then the rest?

JusticeHarlan

Postby JusticeHarlan » Mon Jun 13, 2011 6:44 am

Lawquacious wrote:Dude, I've heard if you jump without a parachute with enough skill you can bounce off the ground and survive.. so you would have the best of both worlds. ;)

No, no, no.

The trick is to throw yourself at the ground, and miss.

TTH

Postby TTH » Mon Jun 13, 2011 10:24 am

Suicide by Cop FTW.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:18 pm

cronous wrote:

What is the bar passage rate for say NY or CA, is it lower then the rest?

No idea of whether this is accurate, but my friend was saying CA was something ridiculously low (like 30 some percent) last February. But then again, you can take the Cali bar without even going to law school, and supposedly it's one of the hardest bar exams. Here's NY's bar passage rates in the past 5 years: http://www.nybarexam.org/Press/ExamStat ... 5-2010.pdf

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 13, 2011 3:44 pm

I saw a recommendation on ATL for how to speed up the videos last year. Apparently they fixed that glitch, so now you can't speed them up. However, one person on ATL recommended finding a way to tape the sessions, and then viewing them or listening to them on another media player, that way you can skip the really mundane and annoying BS and just watch the parts you need to see.

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:01 pm

romothesavior wrote:I saw a recommendation on ATL for how to speed up the videos last year. Apparently they fixed that glitch, so now you can't speed them up. However, one person on ATL recommended finding a way to tape the sessions, and then viewing them or listening to them on another media player, that way you can skip the really mundane and annoying BS and just watch the parts you need to see.

Then upload it to bittorrrent so DF can study the bar for free when he graduates unemployed.

D-hops

Postby D-hops » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:13 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
romothesavior wrote:I saw a recommendation on ATL for how to speed up the videos last year. Apparently they fixed that glitch, so now you can't speed them up. However, one person on ATL recommended finding a way to tape the sessions, and then viewing them or listening to them on another media player, that way you can skip the really mundane and annoying BS and just watch the parts you need to see.

Then upload it to bittorrrent so DF can study the bar for free when he graduates unemployed.

Then again, you are DF...

Postby 09042014 » Mon Jun 13, 2011 4:21 pm

After that secondary journal fiasco I don't think I can assume anything.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Tue Jun 14, 2011 3:44 am

Desert Fox wrote:

I actually wonder if someone just managed to rip copies of the barbri lectures and uploaded them online somewhere. Barbri* is such a ripoff. Pretty much there's books, which you can just buy used from someone for relatively cheap, and these really crappy lecture videos and that's 99.9% of barbri (they sell you on the fact that they grade two of your 30 minute essays.... yeah, like that's worth $4 grand). What's kind of ridiculous is that even the in-class version of barbri consists of watching the pre-recorded lecture in a classroom (unless you take the crack of dawn lecture time) when it costs $4 GRAND! In fact, I'm pretty convinced barbri is a bigger ripoff than law school, which is pretty bad.

*This rant isn't just directed at barbri, but rather all the bar prep companies (looking at you KaplanPMBR - I heard these bums don't even have 1 live lecture session).

romothesavior wrote:I saw a recommendation on ATL for how to speed up the videos last year. Apparently they fixed that glitch, so now you can't speed them up.

Any chance you got a link to this ATL post? That would be hella helpful - I could save hours by watching the videos sped up at 1.5x (and realistically, 1.5x would be about the right speed).

romothesavior wrote:one person on ATL recommended finding a way to tape the sessions, and then viewing them or listening to them on another media player, that way you can skip the really mundane and annoying BS and just watch the parts you need to see.

How do you tape the sessions where you can watch them in a media player? I was trying to just download them because it would be really helpful to be able to fast foward and rewind in less than 2 minute increments (not to mention I could get around having to stream them, and I could save them to my phone and watch them on there without paying barbri an extra $100 for mobile access to the exact same materials - barbri is a pain about this too because there's no way to get the videos to stream through safari or another browser on iPhone, even if you run a user agent faker (which makes the website think you are using a desktop)).

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:17 am

Callath thy romothesavior to hook it up with some links

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Wed Jun 15, 2011 11:44 am

XxSpyKEx wrote:Callath thy romothesavior to hook it up with some links

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/06/when-did-the-bar-exam-become-the-kobayashi-maru/

Scroll down, its like halfway thru the story. Looks like it is just the audio. You basically just record it while you're away from your computer, and then you can listen to it at a faster pace when you want to. Dunno if it works... I'm just a 2L, and I stumbled on it while bored at work and browsing ATL. Hope it helps you though. There's also some discussion about how to make the videos faster and more bearable in the comments.

ToTransferOrNot

Postby ToTransferOrNot » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:05 pm

I vote for killself, and I'll be right behind you. I am going to fail the bar - not just because I cannot memorize things to save my life, but because I cannot force myself to sit through these godforsaken lectures.

Postby 09042014 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:31 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I vote for killself, and I'll be right behind you. I am going to fail the bar - not just because I cannot memorize things to save my life, but because I cannot force myself to sit through these godforsaken lectures.

Do they give you outlines of the important rules? Because studying by lecture is TTT.

dresden doll

Postby dresden doll » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:33 pm

ToTransferOrNot wrote:I vote for killself, and I'll be right behind you. I am going to fail the bar - not just because I cannot memorize things to save my life, but because I cannot force myself to sit through these godforsaken lectures.

Easterbrook will be most disappointed if that comes to pass. I wouldn't want to piss off Easterbrook.

UCLAtransfer

Postby UCLAtransfer » Wed Jun 15, 2011 12:53 pm

killself is credited i think.

i'm either going to take that route or just phone it in for torts and gamble on non getting any torts essays.

the barbri torts lecturer asshole decided to "take a different approach" and be the only one not to give a fill in the blank handout for his seven hours of lectures.

GIVE ME MY FILL IN THE BLANK OUTLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION, ASSHOLE!

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:38 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Do they give you outlines of the important rules? Because studying by lecture is TTT.

They give a foot of materials - literally something like a 70 lb box of books. The thing that's nice about the lectures and handouts is that the lecturer will tell you stuff like "this probably won't be on the exam because it wasn't ever tested before" or "don’t worry about intent and causation on the exam because it won't be tested," etc. The bad thing is actually having to watch them because they are practically unbearable.

UCLAtransfer wrote:killself is credited i think.

i'm either going to take that route or just phone it in for torts and gamble on non getting any torts essays.

the barbri torts lecturer asshole decided to "take a different approach" and be the only one not to give a fill in the blank handout for his seven hours of lectures.

GIVE ME MY FILL IN THE BLANK OUTLINE SO I DON'T HAVE TO PAY ATTENTION, ASSHOLE!

Lol. I actually hate the fill in the blanks though because you it's easier to just skip over parts of the lecture when you don't have to fill anything in.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Jun 16, 2011 2:22 am

Also, if you kill yourself you screw the government out of all of your loan money. Certainly something to think about.

XxSpyKEx

Postby XxSpyKEx » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:19 am

romothesavior wrote:
XxSpyKEx wrote:Callath thy romothesavior to hook it up with some links

http://abovethelaw.com/2011/06/when-did-the-bar-exam-become-the-kobayashi-maru/

Scroll down, its like halfway thru the story. Looks like it is just the audio. You basically just record it while you're away from your computer, and then you can listen to it at a faster pace when you want to. Dunno if it works... I'm just a 2L, and I stumbled on it while bored at work and browsing ATL. Hope it helps you though. There's also some discussion about how to make the videos faster and more bearable in the comments.

THANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Wow, this is fucking awesome. I used internet download manager and I'm downloading all the available lectures right now. The ones that are already completed work perfectly in VLC player, including speeding them up to whatever pace I want. I can also use my iphone as a remote for VLC (unlike the embedded streaming video), so I don't have to get up to fast forward/rewind in these videos anymore (I just run an S-video cable + audio cables to my TV). AND now I can just copy videos on to my iphone and watch/listen to them on my 1 hour drive to/from my other class. This was so helpful. Thank you so much for posting that.

Also, once all the lectures are posted to barbri, I'm going to upload them to bittorrent for those of you who don't want to pay barbri $4 grand for this crap (looking at you DesertFox, lol). Normally I don’t really seed much on bittorrent, but barbri is so much of a ripoff that they deserve to have a large number of people downloading their lectures for free. I mean barbri is seriously worth $500 tops, and NOT $4 grand.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”