Course in antitrust... is this useful?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GamblingLaw

Course in antitrust... is this useful?

Postby GamblingLaw » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:10 am

Is antitrust a practical class to take or is it strictly for large firms? I talked to a few antitrust lawyers and it seems like very complex litigation that is potentially very lucrative.

Gamecubesupreme

Re: Course in antitrust... is this useful?

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:24 am

I'm going into IP and my advisers recommended me to take a course in anti-trust.

Not sure what you're going into though.

Aberzombie1892

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:26 am

Depending on what you want to do, I wouldn't take it over tons of other courses.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:25 am

Antitrust law isn't that tough to learn, should you need to. Antitrust economics is fairly complex, but beyond the scope of most law school's antitrust classes.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:12 pm

I think it would be interesting. It's probably somewhere between a cushy class and a substantive class. Antitrust has implications in M&A work and of course antitrust litigation is its own practice area, albeit a small one.

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Antitrust at my school (at least next semester) comes packaged with a menacing warning about the learning curve for people who don't have a math/finance background.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:22 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:Antitrust at my school (at least next semester) comes packaged with a menacing warning about the learning curve for people who don't have a math/finance background.

Yeah, that's why it's not difficult at most schools; antitrust econ is hard.

dailygrind

Postby dailygrind » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:25 pm

Renzo wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Antitrust at my school (at least next semester) comes packaged with a menacing warning about the learning curve for people who don't have a math/finance background.

Yeah, that's why it's not difficult at most schools; antitrust econ is hard.

Mind telling me what makes it hard? I never got into it but I'm pretty curious.

MoS

Postby MoS » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:28 pm

For what its worth, my school has the leading antitrust expert in the US and he said if you're interested in antitrust take an IP class and an admin law class.

GamblingLaw

Postby GamblingLaw » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 pm

I will have to sign up for antitrust. Talking to this one antitrust lawyer, who studied the price of milk for 6 months before bringing his lawsuit, has me sold. I didn't realize there was litigation in stuff like that.

My school seems to focus on the use of economic theory in the development and application of the laws. But stresses that no economics background is required.

Renzo

Postby Renzo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:26 pm

GamblingLaw wrote:I will have to sign up for antitrust. Talking to this one antitrust lawyer, who studied the price of milk for 6 months before bringing his lawsuit, has me sold. I didn't realize there was litigation in stuff like that.

My school seems to focus on the use of economic theory in the development and application of the laws. But stresses that no economics background is required.

This is why it's hard. It's not really math intensive, but there are at least a zillion different ways even the simplest problem needs to be analyzed. (then you use math to prove it).

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”