Course in antitrust... is this useful?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
GamblingLaw
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Course in antitrust... is this useful?

Postby GamblingLaw » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:10 am

Is antitrust a practical class to take or is it strictly for large firms? I talked to a few antitrust lawyers and it seems like very complex litigation that is potentially very lucrative.

User avatar
Gamecubesupreme
Posts: 509
Joined: Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Course in antitrust... is this useful?

Postby Gamecubesupreme » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:24 am

I'm going into IP and my advisers recommended me to take a course in anti-trust.

Not sure what you're going into though.

User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Course in antitrust... is this useful?

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 12:26 am

Depending on what you want to do, I wouldn't take it over tons of other courses.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Course in antitrust... is this useful?

Postby Renzo » Sat Jun 11, 2011 2:25 am

Antitrust law isn't that tough to learn, should you need to. Antitrust economics is fairly complex, but beyond the scope of most law school's antitrust classes.

User avatar
Bronte
Posts: 2128
Joined: Sun Jan 04, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: Course in antitrust... is this useful?

Postby Bronte » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:12 pm

I think it would be interesting. It's probably somewhere between a cushy class and a substantive class. Antitrust has implications in M&A work and of course antitrust litigation is its own practice area, albeit a small one.

User avatar
smokyroom26
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:56 am

Re: Course in antitrust... is this useful?

Postby smokyroom26 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:05 pm

Antitrust at my school (at least next semester) comes packaged with a menacing warning about the learning curve for people who don't have a math/finance background.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Course in antitrust... is this useful?

Postby Renzo » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:22 pm

smokyroom26 wrote:Antitrust at my school (at least next semester) comes packaged with a menacing warning about the learning curve for people who don't have a math/finance background.

Yeah, that's why it's not difficult at most schools; antitrust econ is hard.

User avatar
dailygrind
Posts: 19667
Joined: Wed Oct 22, 2008 11:08 am

Re: Course in antitrust... is this useful?

Postby dailygrind » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:25 pm

Renzo wrote:
smokyroom26 wrote:Antitrust at my school (at least next semester) comes packaged with a menacing warning about the learning curve for people who don't have a math/finance background.

Yeah, that's why it's not difficult at most schools; antitrust econ is hard.


Mind telling me what makes it hard? I never got into it but I'm pretty curious.

User avatar
MoS
Posts: 404
Joined: Fri Oct 16, 2009 10:59 pm

Re: Course in antitrust... is this useful?

Postby MoS » Sun Jun 12, 2011 11:28 pm

For what its worth, my school has the leading antitrust expert in the US and he said if you're interested in antitrust take an IP class and an admin law class.

GamblingLaw
Posts: 9
Joined: Fri Jan 28, 2011 4:34 pm

Re: Course in antitrust... is this useful?

Postby GamblingLaw » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:02 pm

I will have to sign up for antitrust. Talking to this one antitrust lawyer, who studied the price of milk for 6 months before bringing his lawsuit, has me sold. I didn't realize there was litigation in stuff like that.

My school seems to focus on the use of economic theory in the development and application of the laws. But stresses that no economics background is required.

Renzo
Posts: 4265
Joined: Tue Dec 02, 2008 3:23 am

Re: Course in antitrust... is this useful?

Postby Renzo » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:26 pm

GamblingLaw wrote:I will have to sign up for antitrust. Talking to this one antitrust lawyer, who studied the price of milk for 6 months before bringing his lawsuit, has me sold. I didn't realize there was litigation in stuff like that.

My school seems to focus on the use of economic theory in the development and application of the laws. But stresses that no economics background is required.


This is why it's hard. It's not really math intensive, but there are at least a zillion different ways even the simplest problem needs to be analyzed. (then you use math to prove it).




Return to “Forum for Law School Students”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests