Use Law in a Flash

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
goosey

Use Law in a Flash

Postby goosey » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:11 pm

I am in love.

closed book K's and INSANE property exam--got an A- in both. I learned future interests from the law in a flash cards the first two days of reading period...and consistently studied for K's with the cards and am convinced thats why I did well.

the hypos help you memorize the law and make it second nature and I will def use these for all my classes going forward, especially closed book exams.

romothesavior

Re: Use Law in a Flash

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:27 pm

Are those the Emmanuel's flashcards?

swimmer33

Postby swimmer33 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:47 pm

i have them from civ pro 2, and con law. if anybody's interested, PM me!

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:48 pm

I have the contracts ones if anyone is interested in them just PM me. They are in perfect condition.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Fri Jun 10, 2011 4:39 pm

If yes, I've gotta say I found them to be pretty worthless (used them for Crim and Property this year).

yinz

Postby yinz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:14 pm

romothesavior wrote:If yes, I've gotta say I found them to be pretty worthless (used them for Crim and Property this year).

Yup. There are way better supplements out there.

beach_terror

Postby beach_terror » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:16 pm

romothesavior wrote:

If yes, I've gotta say I found them to be pretty worthless (used them for Crim and Property this year).

Found Law in a Flash to be meh too. I got an A on my Ks closed book exam, FWIW. Whatever floats yer boat though.

Bobby Dazzler

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:01 pm

For closed book property I took two old outlines and made my own flash cards based on those. I think making them myself and then constantly reviewing them really solidified the material. Got an A.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:06 pm

Bobby Dazzler wrote:For closed book property I took two old outlines and made my own flash cards based on those. I think making them myself and then constantly reviewing them really solidified the material. Got an A.

I kind of did it the opposite way. I used the contracts law in a flash cards to make my outline and then studied both the cards and the outline. I did like that the cards had hypos and questions too because that was nice for review.

Bobby Dazzler

Postby Bobby Dazzler » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:15 pm

jbarl1 wrote:
Bobby Dazzler wrote:For closed book property I took two old outlines and made my own flash cards based on those. I think making them myself and then constantly reviewing them really solidified the material. Got an A.

I kind of did it the opposite way. I used the contracts law in a flash cards to make my outline and then studied both the cards and the outline. I did like that the cards had hypos and questions too because that was nice for review.

I should add that I took a number of practice test in between reviewing my flash cards. Doing hypos and practice tests are key.

blsingindisguise

Postby blsingindisguise » Sat Jun 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Didn't like them. They were full of information extraneous to my courses entirely (i.e. better to stick to your professor's coverage) and they test you on useless things like definitions you'd never actually have to recite on an exam.

zeth006

Postby zeth006 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:04 pm

Useful info. Haven't had a completely closed book exam yet.

jbarl1

Postby jbarl1 » Sat Jun 11, 2011 11:06 pm

blsingindisguise wrote:Didn't like them. They were full of information extraneous to my courses entirely (i.e. better to stick to your professor's coverage) and they test you on useless things like definitions you'd never actually have to recite on an exam.

They worked well for me because there was a lot of BLL in my class. Also, I skipped over the sections that my professor didn't cover.

Bronte

Postby Bronte » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:00 am

For me it's all about making study materials from scratch. People talk about it as if they've saved so much time by using other law students' outlines or commercial outlines. Personally, I don't really "use" outlines (or flashcards or whatever). I make outlines, and that's pretty much the last time I look at them. It's about realizing that if you make an outline as if you're planning to publish it, you'll know the material like a published author would (not quite, but you feel me). I used supplements lightly first semester and not at all second semester.

risktaker

Postby risktaker » Sun Jun 12, 2011 12:10 am

OP did you use the Emanuel flash cards or something else?

smokyroom26

Postby smokyroom26 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:02 pm

I'm glad they worked for you, goosey, but I didn't like the flash cards at all. I used them for Property last semester (both the future interests and real property ones) and abandoned the effort. I did find the future interests ones a bit more useful than the real property ones - since they're like mini-practice problems - but I won't buy again. I know some people who swear by them.

I prefer to make my own. http://www.loopware.com/iflash/ <--- Godsend. Great for people who want the benefits of making their own but are frustrated by pen-and-paper inefficiency/timesink.

goosey

Postby goosey » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:46 pm

risktaker wrote:OP did you use the Emanuel flash cards or something else?

I used Emanuel flashcards

I skipped over/took out the extraneous ones that we didnt cover. I also used them to help me twek my outline and to create pre-written answers for my property exam.

I tried making my own flashcards first semester and it was a HUGE waste of time (for me, personally) and I think these helped me more because you learn way more from hypos than just writing definitions on a card. The future interests helped a lot because the only way to nail future interests is to practice, and so any time something gives you practice questions with answers/explanations, its awesome.

My K's exam was a closed book race horse--basically a typing contest. I learned the BLL inside out by 1) making my own outline, 2) going through the flashcard deck twice in full, and tweaking my outline, 3) creating condensed outlines, and then 4) going over the "quick review" flashcards the hours leading up to the exam. I also did lots of practice tests. So I totally agree with people on here about making your own study aids--I made all of my own aside from the flashcards. But yeah..if you are going to do your own work and use these on the side, they are awesome

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”