Legal News Related Blogs besides ATL

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )

Legal News Related Blogs besides ATL

Postby jjlaw » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:25 pm

Can anyone provide links to law blogs that report on the latest national cases? I'm looking for something a little more serious on the journalism side than ATL. I know about the WSJ law blog, but are there others?

Re: Legal News Related Blogs besides ATL

Postby starchinkilt » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:28 pm

Postby blurbz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:35 pm

The Volokh Conspiracy ( )

Inter-Alia ( )

Postby yinz » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:52 pm

blurbz wrote:The Volokh Conspiracy ( )

Both of these are maintained by (mostly) law professors, which gives you great insights into how professors think and what interests them. Check out some of the comment sections, too, as they usually have some bank and forth banter between the profs [Disclaimer: You'll need to weed through the grown-up version of TLS in the comments].

Edit: Quote fail + an example from pb:

Enhancing "Ability to Transfer" in Law Schools

The New York Times has an article about perceptual learning that arguably has implications for law school teaching. The article cites experiments that suggest that when subjects/students are exposed to "visual, fast-paced" materials that "focus[] on classifying problems rather than solving them," they quickly learn to identify patterns and discern relevant facts. As one of the scientists quoted in the article notes, "[t]he brain is very good at sorting out patterns if you give it the chance and the right feedback” (emphasis mine). This research arguably has implications for how traditional law school teaching methods might be reformed or supplemented to enhance students' "ability to transfer" abstract legal principles to new factual situations, and I'd love to see a study of this kind conducted at the law school level . At a minimum, such a study might confirm for students that one of the most effective methods of studying for law schools exams (or the bar) is by working as many problems of the relevant type as possible beforehand. I vaguely remember reading a study (in the Journal of Legal Education?) some years ago that reported that a group of students who worked a professor's old exams at regular intervals throughout the semester got better grades at the end of the semester than a group of students who had been subject to extra tutorials with the professor each week. I'd like to see a similar study based on the perceptual learning techniques mentioned above. Any takers?

Posted by Lyrissa Lidsky on June 6, 2011 at 07:49 PM

Postby smokyroom26 » Sun Jun 12, 2011 3:12 pm

yinz wrote:

Postby Heartford » Wed Jun 15, 2011 8:48 pm

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”