bombed second semester---stay in or drop out Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
sdlaw

New

bombed second semester---stay in or drop out

Post by sdlaw » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:41 pm

Did pretty bad first semester, got a 2.7. Worked my ass off second semester got a C-, D+, C, and C+. Now have a 2.58 at a T2 in cali. Poli sci major before with no prospects outside of law, decent connections in law. Should I bail out and get a masters in biz or finance or stay and do divorces for the rest of my life? If I stay will I make any money ever or would I be better off bailing out and going into biz or finance to make my money?

bartleby

Silver

Re: bombed second semester---stay in or drop out

Post by bartleby » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:07 pm

how much are you paying for law school

de5igual

Silver

Post by de5igual » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:12 pm

and what type of connections? ones where you're guaranteed a job so long as you graduate and pass the bar?

sdlaw

New

Post by sdlaw » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:25 pm

bartleby wrote:how much are you paying for law school
Sticker at private...aka 200k. Good connections, high profile private mediator in area, parent is judge outside of area, good contacts with a couple attny's who are in house. Definitely no guaranteed job though.

Outside of law...nothing but a poli sci undergrad degree and telemarketing for a year(only thing worse was prob 1l year, but that's a toss up). I dont hate law, I also definitely don't love law. I could do it and be fine, but I'd be perfectly happy leaving if there was some other option.

Debating going back to school and getting a masters in accounting, maybe an mba or....

Oh other factor...I'm probably getting married soon and my wife to be will be making a decent salary by the time I graduate, enough to pay all our bills so 100 % of my income could go to law loans

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:26 pm

Drop out now. No conditions.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:28 pm

you really gotta drop out. don't do this to your future wife/family. definitely go back to school though and get a meaningful degree.

Jack Smirks

Silver

Post by Jack Smirks » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:30 pm

Did you totally just slack off or are you really that bad at taking LS exams?

RCRARollin

New

Post by RCRARollin » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:33 pm

I am from USD Law as well and these are my thoughts:

You are going to need above a B+ average taking 13 graded units each semester just to get above median. And that is assuming median for your graduation class is lower than that required for this past May's graduates.

My question is did you go in and look over each of your exams with the professor after your first semester? You definitely should have and if not you should go in and see what you did this past semester. If it isn't something you can fix, there is no point in continuing.

Did you get anything above a C+ first semester? If not, I think you will seriously have trouble getting above a B+ which means you will most likely graduate significantly below median. The legal market is TOUGH right now and although there are students with 3.0's that are getting jobs, there are also students who graduated without honors who are still jobless. With your GPA, getting to a 3.0 may be near impossible and it may be best to cut your losses.

The only way I say that you should stay is if you are an URM with a scholarship because diversity scholarships do not have stipulations at USD usually. Anything else and you probably lost your scholarship. It is not work $100k+ more to graduate below median.

bartleby

Silver

Post by bartleby » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:34 pm

also, u'd be doing something you don't really care for for two years while taking the debt. doing nothing would be better because at least u aren't in the negative.

if u don't want to go back to school and get a degree, pursuing some unproductive passion would be better. build decks, write a screenplay, but giving up on LS is a solid play

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 9:54 pm

Talk to your family ASAP and see how much their connections can help. They sound pretty solid to me, but if your family won't guarantee they can help land you interviews/jobs, then drop out and find something else to do.

Still $200k is a LOT. How people even think to take out that type of debt at a non-T14 is....

bceagles182

Silver

Post by bceagles182 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:08 pm

Why is nobody pointing out the obvious... that OP is obviously not very good at analyzing the law and probably shouldn't be a lawyer? Sure, his connection may get him a job, but he's likely going to suck at it.

Drop out. You don't seem that interested in being a lawyer, you're taking on debt, and you aren't good at it.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:14 pm

After reading the entire thread I am going to have to go with drop out as well. Sorry OP, but it does not seem worth it to stay in without a guaranteed job. The debt will be crippling unless you get out now.
Last edited by shoeshine on Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:15 pm

MTal wrote:Drop out now. No conditions.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Seminole_305

New

Post by Seminole_305 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:19 pm

Did you prep at all? Or did you just follow what the professors said?

bgdddymtty

Silver

Post by bgdddymtty » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:21 pm

sdlaw wrote:Debating going back to school and getting a masters in accounting, maybe an mba or....
The master's in accounting is a reasonable choice, although it's possible you'll run into precisely the issues that are troubling you about law school (lower-ranked school, low grades, lack of enthusiasm, lack of job prospects).

As for the MBA, you need substantial (read: more than one year, and not telemarketing) work experience to get into any MBA program worth getting into. Even if you find one that lets you in, it'll be next to impossible to get an MBA-worthy job coming out of school. I can't stress enough how different the b-school model is from the law school one.

shoeshine

Silver

Post by shoeshine » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:22 pm

Seminole_305 wrote:Did you prep at all? Or did you just follow what the professors said?
How is this relevant?

Edit: Oh are you trying to find a reason for his failure so you can decrease your own anxiety about law school?

3ThrowAway99

Gold

Post by 3ThrowAway99 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:25 pm

bceagles182 wrote:Why is nobody pointing out the obvious... that OP is obviously not very good at analyzing the law and probably shouldn't be a lawyer? Sure, his connection may get him a job, but he's likely going to suck at it.

Drop out. You don't seem that interested in being a lawyer, you're taking on debt, and you aren't good at it.

I think you're assuming that law school grades directly indicate how good someone will be at practicing in a specific area of law, which I don't necessarily agree with. But there probably is a strong correlation, and at the very least the grades probably aren't a good sign for OP's ability to be a "good lawyer" (aside from the fact that the grades will likely hinder his or her ability to get a legal job at all).

That said, I think you should drop out OP, unless you have what is more or less a guaranteed job after graduation. But even then, the bar resembles law school exams as far as I can tell, and CA has the hardest bar. So, in your case, I think the credited response is to drop out, although I don't usually recommend this to people.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Seminole_305

New

Post by Seminole_305 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:26 pm

shoeshine wrote:
Seminole_305 wrote:Did you prep at all? Or did you just follow what the professors said?
How is this relevant?

Edit: Oh are you trying to find a reason for his failure so you can decrease your own anxiety about law school?
Yeah. Not trying to be a dick or nothing.

Grizz

Diamond

Post by Grizz » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:28 pm

shoeshine wrote:
How is this relevant?

Also doing what the professor wants (and often they say what they want) actually can get you solid grades.

keg411

Platinum

Post by keg411 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:30 pm

rad law wrote:
shoeshine wrote:
How is this relevant?

Also doing what the professor wants (and often they say what they want) actually can get you solid grades.
THIS. Got solid A's in every class where I was able to figure out my prof and what he/she wanted. Got my worst grade in the class I couldn't figure out my prof at all.

zeth006

Silver

Post by zeth006 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:51 pm

Why is an accountant who dropped out of law school over a year ago still posting here?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

DoubleChecks

Gold

Post by DoubleChecks » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:54 pm

YourCaptain wrote:
lol oh MTal, how 1 yr can take you from someone that everyone ignored to someone people now quote as TCR.

all joking aside, in this case...OP...200k? short of your family connections == definite law job after grad, i really dont see a reason to stay with your GPA and backward trend.

GMVarun

Bronze

Post by GMVarun » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:00 am

DoubleChecks wrote:lol oh MTal, how 1 yr can take you from someone that everyone ignored to someone people now quote as TCR.
Even a broken clock is right twice a day.

To the OP: Sorry to say this, but you should drop out. Honestly, you probably should have dropped after first semester. I know even though it is easy for me to say this, it is always tough decision to stop doing you are so invested in doing. Good luck.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:47 am

zeth006 wrote:
Why is an accountant who dropped out of law school over a year ago still posting here?
Why are you giving him shit. A dude who dropped out of T2 for poor grades has direct experience with this issue. He is correct.

YourCaptain

Silver

Post by YourCaptain » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:35 am

zeth006 wrote:
Why are you disregarding the fact that his advice is without a doubt the correct choice here?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”