Do Less Students Mean Easier Curve?

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
DiggyHopeful

Do Less Students Mean Easier Curve?

Postby DiggyHopeful » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:01 pm

Kind of confused as to how this works. So if in a class of say, 80 students, 5 students drop out from one semester to the next, does this mean the curve is easier? I guess what I mean is, will the professor count those 5 students who dropped out as basically getting the allotment of mandatory lowest grades (in a semester long course)? Thoughts anyone?

nickwar

Re: Do Less Students Mean Easier Curve?

Postby nickwar » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:02 pm

I doubt it -- they would usually get a W, which is basically a non grade. MAYBE if they were given a WF (essentially a 0), but I would think they would just redo the curve with the current # of students in the class.

NYC Law

Postby NYC Law » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:05 pm

nickwar wrote:I doubt it -- they would usually get a W, which is basically a non grade. MAYBE if they were given a WF (essentially a 0), but I would think they would just redo the curve with the current # of students in the class.

This, thus making the curve more difficult (but it should even out since some top students transfer out)

Postby 09042014 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 2:06 pm

nickwar wrote:I doubt it -- they would usually get a W, which is basically a non grade. MAYBE if they were given a WF (essentially a 0), but I would think they would just redo the curve with the current # of students in the class.

For the next semester they don't even get a W. They just aren't registered.

nymario

Postby nymario » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:55 pm

DiggyHopeful wrote:Kind of confused as to how this works. So if in a class of say, 80 students, 5 students drop out from one semester to the next, does this mean the curve is easier? I guess what I mean is, will the professor count those 5 students who dropped out as basically getting the allotment of mandatory lowest grades (in a semester long course)? Thoughts anyone?

You mean the sort of students who use the word "less" when they mean "fewer"? (sorry, cheap shot...)

I'm fairly certain at my school, the professor curves based on the number of students who sat for the exam, not who enrolled at the beginning (LLMs may join the curve at their option). So you definitely don't want to lose the weaker students mid-semester.

poprox

Postby poprox » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:12 pm

Fewer. ftw.

That word seems to be quickly disappearing from our language...or maybe law school students are so indistinguishable from one another that they cannot be individually counted :lol:

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”