Recommended reading

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
john1990

Recommended reading

Postby john1990 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:05 pm

Normally I’m reading a book to kill time when I’m bored. I have been reading a lot of Plato and Marx, but with law school coming up next year i want to read a law book in my spare time instead. Does anyone know of a good textbook to read, preferably one that came straight from one of your classes? I guess something along the lines of patent law would be good, but I’m open to whatever. Course name and school reference for the book would be cool.

eandy

Re: Recommended reading

Postby eandy » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:08 pm

Reading a textbook would be a waste of time--every class is very different depending on who you take and when. A good book for you to read though would be The Bramble Bush. One of my professors pushed it very hard, and I enjoyed it.

Geist13

Postby Geist13 » Wed Jun 08, 2011 11:20 pm

Read Plato, focus on euthyphro; skip marx. Nothing law related is needed. If you really want, read a civil action.

john1990

Postby john1990 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:20 pm

Thanks for the recomendations. I will probably get around to reading both of those before the summer ends, but for now i want a little backround in law. I feel like i dont know the first thing about it and i want to make sure that i will enjoy studying it before i make the final plunge into law school.

GertrudePerkins

Postby GertrudePerkins » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Reading a law-school textbook (whether casebook or hornbook) sounds like a tremendously unpleasant way to spend your summer. I can appreciate a desire to read something law related, but at least pick something readable. If you're interested in criminal law, you might check out The Limits of the Criminal Sanction by Herbert Packer. I read that before law school and it certainly stoked my interest in criminal law. I think Jay Feinman's Law 101 is relatively readable and starts to make you think about various legal issues. If you're really set on something more substantive and blackletter, try Oxford's various Introduction to U.S. Law volumes. But really, the book you should be reading is The Thousand Autumns of Jacob de Zoet -- I recently took far more pleasure in that novel than anything I read during 1L. :)

eandy

Postby eandy » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:36 pm

john1990 wrote:Thanks for the recomendations. I will probably get around to reading both of those before the summer ends, but for now i want a little backround in law. I feel like i dont know the first thing about it and i want to make sure that i will enjoy studying it before i make the final plunge into law school.

Trust me--the Bramble Bush is all you need. It's about law school and learning about the law. You DO NOT want to come in having had read things about the black letter law when you start school--your professor is going to go back and contradict what you learned. Read the Bramble Bush, learn about the study of the law. Then you can learn the law in school. Trust me on this.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”