going into 1L year w/relationship

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
FeelTheHeat

Re: going into 1L year w/relationship

Postby FeelTheHeat » Sat Jul 23, 2011 6:25 pm

I don't think there are going to be too many responses where someone broke up with their former partner and regret it. If you broke up, you weren't very happy. Not gonna regret missing that. Thus, I don't think it's worth putting to much credence in those that say that.

DrGuano

Postby DrGuano » Sat Aug 06, 2011 6:08 pm

Not only made it through the first year, but got married. If you can't keep a successful relationship and balance your school work, good luck balancing work & play as a lawyer. You've got to have some semblance of a life...otherwise, what's the point?

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sat Aug 06, 2011 8:46 pm

DrGuano wrote:Not only made it through the first year, but got married. If you can't keep a successful relationship and balance your school work, good luck balancing work & play as a lawyer. You've got to have some semblance of a life...otherwise, what's the point?

It is easy to balance work and play as a lawyer. It is balancing work and family that is rather difficult.

The most successful litigator I ever met lost two marriages because he worked 70+ a week. Now he goes home late at night, but has a "stable of women" he keeps around for when he goes home, out to dinner, or on a weekend jaunt......... Not ideal or something I even condone. However, it is the nature of the beast.

Easy to work long hours and be unbalanced.

Hard to keep a wife happy and raise kids.

Easy to find willing women to be taken on your lavish vacations, out for a steak dinner, or cruise in your luxury/sports car.

traydeuce

Postby traydeuce » Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:18 am

If law school's so hard for someone that it seriously interferes with their relationship, they shouldn't be in law school. Law school, you'll find (if you're any good at it), is quite easy.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:12 am

traydeuce wrote:If law school's so hard for someone that it seriously interferes with their relationship, they shouldn't be in law school. Law school, you'll find (if you're any good at it), is quite easy.

Being good at law school and being the best at your school are very different. Not everyone can deal with being below top 5%-- thus K-JD mock trial gunners were created.

LAWYER2

Postby LAWYER2 » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:27 pm

It would seem as though my Ex-significant other would wait till finals to bring up stressful arguments. I think its almost imminent that in weaker relationships, the lack of attention a s/o feels due to studies will unconsciously be transgressed on you just when you need it the least!

Grizz

Postby Grizz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 1:49 pm

That's not how you use the word transgressed.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”