The Hijacked Booze Thread [Formerly how to deal with LS] Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
paratactical

Platinum

Re: The Hijacked Booze Thread [Formerly how to deal with LS]

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 21, 2011 10:52 am

geoduck wrote: According to wikipedia (so we know it's true) it was created by Keith Villa at the Molson-Coors brewers off of Coors Field, originally named the Bellyside Belgian White. That could be the marketing version, but there you go. That was back in 95 so I'm confused as to how you'd be comparing the "original" version with the mass produced version. Also, and really no offense meant, but how much Belgian wit have you had? It's extreme hyperbole to say Blue Moon is to wit as Bud is to porter. It's far less delicate and complex as compared to a true Belgian, but the flavors of the gruit (or, rather, the coriander and orange) are all there. It was sneaky of them to try to pass it of as an actual Belgian beer though.
I may have been thinking of what was the original recipe for Bud Wheat or something and gotten my stories crossed. I've had a shiatload of Belgian wit. I'm a die hard beeradvocate and greatbrewers member and I basically seek out good, rare beer any time, any place that I can. I think my biggest complaint is that I don't think the gruit is done well at all in the Blue Moon - it's too heavy and lacks any sense of nuance and just reeks of shitty American beer brewing. I had a sip of someone's Blue Moon last night and it tasted even worse than I remembered. :lol:

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:00 am

paratactical wrote:
geoduck wrote: According to wikipedia (so we know it's true) it was created by Keith Villa at the Molson-Coors brewers off of Coors Field, originally named the Bellyside Belgian White. That could be the marketing version, but there you go. That was back in 95 so I'm confused as to how you'd be comparing the "original" version with the mass produced version. Also, and really no offense meant, but how much Belgian wit have you had? It's extreme hyperbole to say Blue Moon is to wit as Bud is to porter. It's far less delicate and complex as compared to a true Belgian, but the flavors of the gruit (or, rather, the coriander and orange) are all there. It was sneaky of them to try to pass it of as an actual Belgian beer though.
I may have been thinking of what was the original recipe for Bud Wheat or something and gotten my stories crossed. I've had a shiatload of Belgian wit. I'm a die hard beeradvocate and greatbrewers member and I basically seek out good, rare beer any time, any place that I can. I think my biggest complaint is that I don't think the gruit is done well at all in the Blue Moon - it's too heavy and lacks any sense of nuance and just reeks of shitty American beer brewing. I had a sip of someone's Blue Moon last night and it tasted even worse than I remembered. :lol:
We should be friends. I'm not that nuanced in the ways of beer. You would likely be happy at a place that we have here called Flying Saucer. They have at least 200 beers on tap and several hundred more in bottles. Pretty much anything you can think of. Perhaps it just seems that way to me, though. I've been enjoying Maredsous of late. It's kind of expensive though.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:07 am

paratactical wrote:
Fair enough. I don't deny that it's a pathetic representation of Belgian wit, but still think that it's obviously trying to be one and isn't really similar to any other type of beer. I use it as an example of something you can drink when all options are lame. Sorry to question your beer tastes and experience, I was just getting confused as to whether you were someone who really knew her shit talking down to it the way I talk down to Johnny Red or just an internet pessimist. I think it's obvious now which is correct :) .

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:10 am

geoduck wrote:Fair enough. I don't deny that it's a pathetic representation of Belgian wit, but still think that it's obviously trying to be one and isn't really similar to any other type of beer. I use it as an example of something you can drink when all options are lame. Sorry to question your beer tastes and experience, I was just getting confused as to whether you were someone who really knew her shit talking down to it the way I talk down to Johnny Red or just an internet pessimist. I think it's obvious now which is correct :) .
Oh yeah. I tend to exagerate when discussing how much I hate things that are shit. :lol:
memphisbelle wrote:We should be friends. I'm not that nuanced in the ways of beer. You would likely be happy at a place that we have here called Flying Saucer. They have at least 200 beers on tap and several hundred more in bottles. Pretty much anything you can think of. Perhaps it just seems that way to me, though. I've been enjoying Maredsous of late. It's kind of expensive though.
Is that the place near the Frist in Nashville? I think I've been there.

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:15 am

Yup, there is one in Nashville. It's apparently on 10th street. Are you from around that area?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:15 am

memphisbelle wrote:Yup, there is one in Nashville. It's apparently on 10th street. Are you from around that area?
Oh no. I've just been to all 48 continental states in search of breweries, brew pubs and good beer.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:23 am

If you're interested in beer, spend some time here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/ It's basically Parker's Wine Advocate for beer but with crowdsourcing.

A few widely available beers you should try:

Rochefort 10
St. Bernardus Abt 12
Unibroue - La Fin Du Monde
North Coast - Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
Bell's - Two Hearted Ale
Dogfish Head - 90 Minute IPA
Ayinger - Celebrator Doppelbock
Ayinger - Bräu Weisse

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:30 am

quakeroats wrote:If you're interested in beer, spend some time here: http://www.beeradvocate.com/ It's basically Parker's Wine Advocate for beer but with crowdsourcing.

A few widely available beers you should try:

Rochefort 10
St. Bernardus Abt 12
Unibroue - La Fin Du Monde
North Coast - Old Rasputin Russian Imperial Stout
Bell's - Two Hearted Ale
Dogfish Head - 90 Minute IPA
Ayinger - Celebrator Doppelbock
Ayinger - Bräu Weisse
Long time beer advocate member here. You ever check out Great Brewers? Their beer locator is the tits.

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:35 am

paratactical wrote:
memphisbelle wrote:Yup, there is one in Nashville. It's apparently on 10th street. Are you from around that area?
Oh no. I've just been to all 48 continental states in search of breweries, brew pubs and good beer.
Wins every beer contest ever to be held on TLS.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:41 am

memphisbelle wrote:
paratactical wrote:
Wins every beer contest ever to be held on TLS.
Eh.. there's a certain level where it comes to a matter of taste, even with a well-educated palate. For example, I'm still not crazy about lots of barleywines and burbon cask aged beers because I think they aren't particularly nuanced or interesting, whereas I know other beer lovers whose favorite brews all fall into those two cateogories. I tend to favor wits, rauch beers, tripels, dubels and bocks. I went out last night because a little birdie told that the BBC error beer Saint of Circumstance was on tap there. It was fabu. Hints of IPAness but a malty and nuance coriander quality that I really enjoyed.

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:48 am

paratactical wrote: Eh.. there's a certain level where it comes to a matter of taste, even with a well-educated palate. For example, I'm still not crazy about lots of barleywines and burbon cask aged beers because I think they aren't particularly nuanced or interesting, whereas I know other beer lovers whose favorite brews all fall into those two cateogories. I tend to favor wits, rauch beers, tripels, dubels and bocks. I went out last night because a little birdie told that the BBC error beer Saint of Circumstance was on tap there. It was fabu. Hints of IPAness but a malty and nuance coriander quality that I really enjoyed.
How about Quads, Stouts, and IPAs?

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:50 am

I'm still at the point of drinkable/not drinkable. I prefer dark beers over light nearly always and I like beers that have a strong hops flavor. Blue Moon is the only wheat beer that I've had and I can't stand it. I had previously assumed this to be indicative of a dislike for wheat beer, but I will have to rethink this and do some further investigating. Right now, I am exploring scotches. I haven't had anything that I couldn't drink but Glenfidditch was by far my least favorite of the ones that I tried. Is it islay scotches that have all of the smokey/peaty flavor to them? Those are the ones that I enjoy. I was reading a description of one that I bought recently and it said that it had an aftertaste 'not unlike wet linen'. Not sure if that was supposed to be the selling point...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:52 am

quakeroats wrote: How about Quads, Stouts, and IPAs?
I definitely have had several that I enjoy, but they're generally not my favorite breeds of beer. I really like a good English Brown, and there are some quads, stouts and IPAs I really love, but it's not what I try first when I'm at a brewery I'm unfamiliar with.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:54 am

memphisbelle wrote:I haven't had anything that I couldn't drink but Glenfidditch was by far my least favorite of the ones that I tried. Is it islay scotches that have all of the smokey/peaty flavor to them? Those are the ones that I enjoy. I was reading a description of one that I bought recently and it said that it had an aftertaste 'not unlike wet linen'. Not sure if that was supposed to be the selling point...
Glenfiddich is not good, so you are right to dislike it.

Islay's are not the only ones with the peatiness, but they are by far the most strong in that way. If you like peat, I suggest:

1. Lagavulin
2. Laphroig
3. Caol Ila

Those will put hair on your bewbs.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:56 am

bjsesq wrote:
memphisbelle wrote:I haven't had anything that I couldn't drink but Glenfidditch was by far my least favorite of the ones that I tried. Is it islay scotches that have all of the smokey/peaty flavor to them? Those are the ones that I enjoy. I was reading a description of one that I bought recently and it said that it had an aftertaste 'not unlike wet linen'. Not sure if that was supposed to be the selling point...

Islay's are not the only ones with the peatiness, but they are by far the most strong in that way. If you like peat, I suggest:

1. Lagavulin
2. Laphroig
3. Caol Ila

You would like that.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:57 am

paratactical wrote:You would like that.
No. Was with one chick who legit had a long hair coming out of her boob. I didn't think it was possible. I nearly hurled.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:03 pm

bjsesq wrote:
No. Was with one chick who legit had a long hair coming out of her boob. I didn't think it was possible. I nearly hurled.
And then flossed with it?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:03 pm

paratactical wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
No. That was really disgusting to me. I only like Corsair hairy. Nobody else.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:04 pm

bjsesq wrote:
paratactical wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
No. That was really disgusting to me. I only like Corsair hairy. Nobody else.
:lol:

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:04 pm

bjsesq wrote:

1. Lagavulin
2. Laphroig
3. Caol Ila

Yes and no. As usual, there's a website for everything: http://www.maltadvocate.com/whisky_reviews.asp

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:06 pm

quakeroats wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

1. Lagavulin
2. Laphroig
3. Caol Ila

Yes and no. As usual, there's a website for everything: http://www.maltadvocate.com/whisky_reviews.asp
Yes and no to what, exactly. It's a subjective experience, and I am discussing my suggestions.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

quakeroats

Silver

Post by quakeroats » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:11 pm

bjsesq wrote:
quakeroats wrote:
bjsesq wrote:

1. Lagavulin
2. Laphroig
3. Caol Ila

Yes and no to what, exactly. It's a subjective experience, and I am discussing my suggestions.
Everything you wrote. Classifying things at the brand-name level leaves a lot to be desired.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:13 pm

quakeroats wrote:Everything you wrote. Classifying things at the brand-name level leaves a lot to be desired.
Perhaps because the special casks are expensive and we reference the market product from the distiller, which is either a 10 or a 12. My god, you are an absolutely pretentious douche in every single thing that you do.

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:19 pm

paratactical wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
Wow, this is nearly as bad as the fat thread now. That is not acceptable. That has to be one of those 'what has been seen cannot be unseen' moments. Guess you hit it anyway, so you must have liked it. :)

ResolutePear

Platinum

Post by ResolutePear » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:21 pm

I just randomly passed by people who were talking about a chick that caught gonorrhea off a.. "toilet seat"

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”