The Hijacked Booze Thread [Formerly how to deal with LS]

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
Gecko of Doom

Re: Hating Law School, how can I deal with it????

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:36 pm

Rooney wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
geoduck wrote:Johnny Red shouldn't even exist.

+1. I would drink Natty before I would drink Red.

GTFO

If you can't bring yourself to spend an extra few bucks for a bottle of Glenlivet or something, why are you drinking scotch in the first place?

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:38 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:If you can't bring yourself to spend an extra few bucks for a bottle of Glenlivet or something, why are you drinking scotch in the first place?

Agreed, but I'm just against choosing weasel piss over Red. It wouldn't ever be a real choice option (...hopefully)

Gecko of Doom

Postby Gecko of Doom » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:44 pm

Rooney wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:If you can't bring yourself to spend an extra few bucks for a bottle of Glenlivet or something, why are you drinking scotch in the first place?

Agreed, but I'm just against choosing weasel piss over Red. It wouldn't ever be a real choice option (...hopefully)

I'll concede that. It was hyperbole. Mostly.

FantasticMrFox

Re: Hating LS, how can I deal with it???? [Now the Booze Thread]

Postby FantasticMrFox » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:45 pm

Love the new title :P

ktc88

Postby ktc88 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:55 pm

geoduck wrote:
Rooney wrote:
bjsesq wrote:
hds2388 wrote:Good enough for winston churchill? Good enough for me.

Enjoy strokes staring down the Nazis, winning the Battle of Britain, making fun of French people and welcoming the Americans a few years down the road.

Gecko of Doom wrote:
geoduck wrote:Johnny Red shouldn't even exist.

+1. I would drink Natty before I would drink Red.

GTFO

Red is horrible. There is nothing it does well. Nothing. For the price, you can have better American or Irish whiskey. And it makes a horrible show for the Scotch name. Black I could drink in a mixed drink or straight if pressed. Red? I wouldn't even let it be in my smokey martini. It'd cheapen the gin.

Johnnie Walker red is gasoline. There are much, MUCH better american whiskeys for the price. Black is passable as a low level mixer. Any of the other ones you are paying premium prices for blended scotch, a joke. Johnnie Walker blue is one of the biggest scams in the industry. It is a blended scotch costing upwards of $200, and, get this - THEY DON'T EVEN TELL YOU THE AGE OF THE WHISKY's IN IT. Don't believe me? Google it, read their website. They tell you nothing about it.

Johnnie green and gold are your best bet. The are blended malt, which means there is no grain whisky (the crappy stuff) included, just malt.

Odds are it costs them less to produce it than the gold or the green, but then market it as the top of the line. People buy into marketing in this industry, trust me. There are countless examples of producers actually making a product that costs less to produce than another one of their products, and then selling it for more, marketing it to be better.

Some great whiskys for the dollar are glenfiddich solera 15 yr, balvenie 12 yr, 15, and 14 carribean cask (arguably the best for the dollar producer of scotch right now). Glenmorangie is pretty good too, especially the la santa sherry cask.

There are plenty of scotches around 50-100 bucks that actually are better than johnnie blue.

Source: Working for years in the liquor industry, and tasting 100's of scotches.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Rooney wrote:

What did the weasel eat that day? It might be better.

Seriously, Red exists so that people who can't afford to drink scotch can say they drink scotch. Just drink rye if all you can afford is Red.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:00 pm

ktc88 wrote:Some great whiskys for the dollar are glenfiddich solera 15 yr, balvenie 12 yr, 15, and 14 carribean cask (arguably the best for the dollar producer of scotch right now). Glenmorangie is pretty good too, especially the la santa sherry cask.

There are plenty of scotches around 50-100 bucks that actually are better than johnnie blue.

Source: Working for years in the liquor industry, and tasting 100's of scotches.

That Balvenie 12 is pretty glorious. I snagged a litre last time I crossed the US border. I'll have to try carribean cask...

ktc88

Postby ktc88 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 6:54 pm

geoduck wrote:
ktc88 wrote:Some great whiskys for the dollar are glenfiddich solera 15 yr, balvenie 12 yr, 15, and 14 carribean cask (arguably the best for the dollar producer of scotch right now). Glenmorangie is pretty good too, especially the la santa sherry cask.

That Balvenie 12 is pretty glorious. I snagged a litre last time I crossed the US border. I'll have to try carribean cask...

It's amazing for the price. Beats the hell out of some 18 yrs I've had. The 14 yr carribean cask is probably my favorite balvenie priced under $100 (the 21 portwood and 17 yr islay cask are great, but expensive)

uzpakalis

Postby uzpakalis » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:01 pm

<------ Ordered neat, not chilled.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:13 pm

uzpakalis wrote:<------ Ordered neat, not chilled.

What type?

Edit: Oops. That's what I get for browsing without images. Who the hell chills tequila? Patron is pretty good to sip on, though why blanco? That's young shit. Añejo or reposado is way better for sipping.
Last edited by geoduck on Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

superhands

Postby superhands » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:18 pm

Tequila is what sorority girls drink while on spring break in order to loosen up before hitting the mic at a karaoke bar. Real men drink scotch.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:21 pm

superhands wrote:

Tequila is what sorority girls drink while on spring break in order to loosen up before hitting the mic at a karaoke bar. Real men drink scotch.

what about vodka straight? can I be a man?

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:27 pm

Doritos wrote:
superhands wrote:

You can be a Russian man.

Though I'm not at all Russian and one of the standards I'll order if I can't see the bar and it's the first drink of the night is Absolute neat with a glass of water on the side. At home, I try to only drink potato vodka. Koenig is pretty good.

glitter178

Postby glitter178 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:30 pm

superhands wrote:

i think a lot of very, very manly men would disagree, though not about patron, which is kind of a bitch-y tequila. (not gran platinum. gran platinum is fucking good.)

however, tequila neat is not the way sorority girls are drinking it. they're shooting it, not savoring it in a snifter.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:33 pm

glitter178 wrote:
superhands wrote:

i think a lot of very, very manly men would disagree, though not about patron, which is kind of a bitch-y tequila. (not gran platinum. gran platinum is fucking good.)

however, tequila neat is not the way sorority girls are drinking it. they're shooting it, not savoring it in a snifter.

I do enjoy the funny looks anytime someone drags you to a chain mexican place and you order straight tequila, in a glass and not in a margarita.

Doritos

Postby Doritos » Thu Jun 09, 2011 7:37 pm

geoduck wrote:
Doritos wrote:
superhands wrote:

You can be a Russian man.

Though I'm not at all Russian and one of the standards I'll order if I can't see the bar and it's the first drink of the night is Absolute neat with a glass of water on the side. At home, I try to only drink potato vodka. Koenig is pretty good.

As far as potato vodkas go, I enjoy me some Chopin.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:00 pm

Doritos wrote:
As far as potato vodkas go, I enjoy me some Chopin.

That it is. Also, 44North. Huckleberry potato vodka. Not really any good for drinking straight, but you can make a very interesting golden colored martini by shaking (not stirring, even though true martinis are stirred) 44North, St. Germain elderflower liqueur, and dry vermouth in a 4:1:1 ratio (if I remember correctly). It's floral, but with bite. Plus the shaking makes it slightly opaque, making the golden color of the St. Germain really shine.

memphisbelle

Postby memphisbelle » Thu Jun 09, 2011 8:05 pm

glitter178 wrote:
superhands wrote:

Thinking we may be more one in the same. Corazon is decent as well. Margaritas/TTTequila are definitely sorority central. Working my way back into tequilas after early twenties aversion therapy. Seven shots does not equal good times. Oops.

thesealocust

Re: The Hijacked Booze Thread [Formerly how to deal with LS]

Postby thesealocust » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:35 pm

This thread is my greatest accomplishment on this earth.

albanach

Postby albanach » Thu Jun 09, 2011 10:37 pm

ktc88 wrote:Red is horrible. There is nothing it does well. Nothing. For the price, you can have better American or Irish whiskey. And it makes a horrible show for the Scotch name. Black I could drink in a mixed drink or straight if pressed. Red? I wouldn't even let it be in my smokey martini. It'd cheapen the gin.
Odds are it costs them less to produce it than the gold or the green, but then market it as the top of the line. People buy into marketing in this industry, trust me. There are countless examples of producers actually making a product that costs less to produce than another one of their products, and then selling it for more, marketing it to be better.

So much so that you know more about Scotch than 'experts' like Michael Jackson? He gives Black Label 9/10 and says "Is Black Label a great whisky? Was Dizzy Gillespie a great musician?". He rates Blue Label slightly higher still.

I have at least eight different bottles of malt on the shelf, but if offered a blended whisky I'm not going to hold my nose and I'm certainly not adding ice and coke.

Many others in the Scotch Whisky world promote and even prefer blends, and Johnnie Walker make some of the best.

Sure, everyone has their own tastes and your palate might not like the blend JW produces - it's certainly full bodied, and quite different from other blends like Chivas. But to suggest Black Label is only fit for a mixed drink is just nonsense.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Thu Jun 09, 2011 11:20 pm

Just had a Yamazaki 12 yr. Turns out the Japanese actually can make whisky!

PS: JW Black is drinkable on its own. Red isn't. But I'm not going to prefer black over almost any single malt. It does wonders with tanqueray ten in a smokey martini though.

Rooney

Postby Rooney » Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:48 am

Oh Lawdy, just had a ton of dark and stormy's last night! It's about 95 degrees here, and that is a kick.ass. beach drink

Skyhook

Postby Skyhook » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:06 am

ktc88 wrote:The 14 yr carribean cask is probably my favorite balvenie priced under $100 (the 21 portwood and 17 yr islay cask are great, but expensive)

Got a bottle of 15yo, but tell me more about the Caribbean.
Assuming this is aged in a rum cask?

geoduck wrote:Just had a Yamazaki 12 yr. Turns out the Japanese actually can make whisky!

Last time I had a Japanese whisky it was extremely sweet, vanilla/ oak intense.
I think it was the Yamazaki but can't remember.

geoduck

Postby geoduck » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:18 am

Skyhook wrote:
ktc88 wrote:The 14 yr carribean cask is probably my favorite balvenie priced under $100 (the 21 portwood and 17 yr islay cask are great, but expensive)

Got a bottle of 15yo, but tell me more about the Caribbean.
Assuming this is aged in a rum cask?

geoduck wrote:Just had a Yamazaki 12 yr. Turns out the Japanese actually can make whisky!

Last time I had a Japanese whisky it was extremely sweet, vanilla/ oak intense.
I think it was the Yamazaki but can't remember.

The one last night wasn't really sweet, but it was very very oaky. In a good way. I'd choose it over Glenfiddich.

bjsesq
TLS Poet Laureate

Postby bjsesq » Fri Jun 10, 2011 10:22 am

ktc88 wrote:Glenmorangie is pretty good too, especially the la santa sherry cask.

Fantastic post overall, but I just had to say: if you like the La Santa, try Sonnalta PX. It's even better. Oddly enough: the La Santa is generally trashed by most critics. I never understood why.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”