The Hijacked Booze Thread [Formerly how to deal with LS] Forum

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
bjsesq

Diamond

Re: The Hijacked Booze Thread [Formerly how to deal with LS]

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:56 pm

rangers0412 wrote:You are forgetting High Life, the champaigne of beers. Yes, the first one tastes like ass, but after one you are good to go.
High Life is absolute garbage.

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 4:57 pm

Cham-pahn-yah...

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:08 pm

memphisbelle wrote:Well, on the hierarchy of people to hang out with, someone that does not drink is automatically suspicious and should be avoided. Bro Light and lime is obviously a less credited choice than some, but it is cheap and widely available. Besides, if you start out on fratty light, then this is obviously a step up.

The only acceptable cheap college kid beer is PBR. If there's one way to get called out for drinking underage, it's drinking PBR and paying for it in loose change. Party on. :)
Um. No. PBR is the hipster beer and in most cities it's popularity has driven up the price. Also, it's a damn shitty beer.

There are plenty of reasonably priced, widely available beers. No one should ever drink bud light with lime. Also, why you trying to paint yourself as a bro?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:09 pm

paratactical wrote:
memphisbelle wrote:Well, on the hierarchy of people to hang out with, someone that does not drink is automatically suspicious and should be avoided. Bro Light and lime is obviously a less credited choice than some, but it is cheap and widely available. Besides, if you start out on fratty light, then this is obviously a step up.

The only acceptable cheap college kid beer is PBR. If there's one way to get called out for drinking underage, it's drinking PBR and paying for it in loose change. Party on. :)
Um. No. PBR is the hipster beer and in most cities it's popularity has driven up the price. Also, it's a damn shitty beer.

There are plenty of reasonably priced, widely available beers. No one should ever drink bud light with lime. Also, why you trying to paint yourself as a bro?
Blue Moon is one of them. Not the best beer by far, but it's readily found on tap and yummy.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:10 pm

geoduck wrote:
paratactical wrote:

Blue Moon is one of them. Not the best beer by far, but it's readily found on tap and yummy.
Killian's

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:16 pm

bjsesq wrote:
Killian's
I don't see it as often, but hell yes.
Last edited by geoduck on Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:19 pm

paratactical wrote:

Negative on the bro thing. Note that I never said that I drank BL. I prefer craft beers and scotch. This is not to say that my evening will be ruined if BL is the only option available. That is what a flask is for. I do happen to live in the good ol' boy south, so I'm pretty familiar with bro behavior.

PBR is a hipster beer now? It certainly wasn't that expensive 10 years ago. I wouldn't know, I don't think there are many hipsters in Memphis. If there are, I don't know them. The clothes are cute, but I'm not into the moody vibe. We drank whatever we could get our hands on, but PBR was the best of that. I stand by that assessment. :)

Which cheap beer do you think is better?

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:22 pm

memphisbelle wrote:
paratactical wrote:

Negative on the bro thing. Note that I never said that I drank BL. I prefer craft beers and scotch. This is not to say that my evening will be ruined if BL is the only option available. That is what a flask is for. I do happen to live in the good ol' boy south, so I'm pretty familiar with bro behavior.

PBR is a hipster beer now? It certainly wasn't that expensive 10 years ago. I wouldn't know, I don't think there are many hipsters in Memphis. If there are, I don't know them. The clothes are cute, but I'm not into the moody vibe. We drank whatever we could get our hands on, but PBR was the best of that. I stand by that assessment. :)

The times, they have changed. PBR is pretty much the same price as real beer now thanks to the hipster wave. Not sure about down in Tennessee though, this is Pacific Northwest experience talking.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:25 pm

geoduck wrote: Blue Moon is one of them. Not the best beer by far, but it's readily found on tap and yummy.
Could not disagree more. A Blue Moon is the easiest way to spot someone who actually doesn't know anything about beer, IMO.
memphisbelle wrote: Negative on the bro thing. Note that I never said that I drank BL. I prefer craft beers and scotch. This is not to say that my evening will be ruined if BL is the only option available. That is what a flask is for. I do happen to live in the good ol' boy south, so I'm pretty familiar with bro behavior.

I mean, I can definitely deal with a shitty beer if I'm not paying for it, but there are plenty of regional beers that are similarly priced. In New England, Session and Narragansett are good alternatives without breaking the bank. Get to NY/PA and FL and you can grab Yeungling as a cheap alternative without the skunk taste. IMO, even a water beer like Coors or Bud is preferrable to PBR if what you're going for is cheap bulk. And if you're paying PBR prices, you might as well buy a Sam, Harpoon or Killigan's style beer.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:26 pm

Seattle? I'm jealous. I want out of the south so bad I can't stand it. Dream city is SF although it's looking like that won't happen anytime soon. Jobs are so hard to get there!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:26 pm

geoduck wrote: The times, they have changed. PBR is pretty much the same price as real beer now thanks to the hipster wave. Not sure about down in Tennessee though, this is Pacific Northwest experience talking.
This is true for NYC/New England/Boston areas as well.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:31 pm

What's wrong with Blue Moon? It's a pale imitation of witbier, but often one of the better things on tap in a crappy bar. On the continuum of national beers, it's way ahead of bud anything.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:32 pm

memphisbelle wrote:Seattle? I'm jealous. I want out of the south so bad I can't stand it. Dream city is SF although it's looking like that won't happen anytime soon. Jobs are so hard to get there!
I live in Seattle, but I've been drinking in all three of the official Pacific Northwest states. Portland really is beer mecca.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:33 pm

geoduck wrote:What's wrong with Blue Moon? It's a pale imitation of witbier, but often one of the better things on tap in a crappy bar. On the continuum of national beers, it's way ahead of bud anything.
It used to be when it was still a microbrew, but once it was bought by Coors, the recipe changed. It's such an awful imitation that when I bartended, I knew I absolutely had to card anyone who ordered it. I think Blue Moon is about as similar to the wheat beers it attempts to coopt as Bud Light Lime is to a pilsner.

bjsesq

Diamond

Post by bjsesq » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:34 pm

paratactical wrote:
geoduck wrote: The times, they have changed. PBR is pretty much the same price as real beer now thanks to the hipster wave. Not sure about down in Tennessee though, this is Pacific Northwest experience talking.
This is true for NYC/New England/Boston areas as well.
A case still costs about 14 bucks where I live. Of course, hipsters get the fuck beat out of them on general principle here too.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:39 pm

paratactical wrote:
geoduck wrote:What's wrong with Blue Moon? It's a pale imitation of witbier, but often one of the better things on tap in a crappy bar. On the continuum of national beers, it's way ahead of bud anything.
It used to be when it was still a microbrew, but once it was bought by Coors, the recipe changed. It's such an awful imitation that when I bartended, I knew I absolutely had to card anyone who ordered it. I think Blue Moon is about as similar to the wheat beers it attempts to coopt as Bud Light Lime is to a pilsner.
Except that Blue Moon has always been a Coors beer :?. No argument here that it doesn't taste like a proper wheat beer though. I had enough weissbiers in Munich to know what it should taste like.

paratactical

Platinum

Post by paratactical » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:44 pm

geoduck wrote: Except that Blue Moon has always been a Coors beer :?. No argument here that it doesn't taste like a proper wheat beer though. I had enough weissbiers in Munich to know what it should taste like.
They bought the recipe from someone and changed it to fit their needs before they put it out. They also have, in the past, been very intentional in misleading people with their labeling and advertising, refusing for quite some time to admit that it was a "Belgian-style" beer and not a "Belgian" beer. I just don't think it tastes even remotely like the wheat beers it claims to be styled after. It would be like marketing Bud as a "porter-style" beer. It's not what it is at all.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 5:55 pm

paratactical wrote:
geoduck wrote: Except that Blue Moon has always been a Coors beer :?. No argument here that it doesn't taste like a proper wheat beer though. I had enough weissbiers in Munich to know what it should taste like.
They bought the recipe from someone and changed it to fit their needs before they put it out. They also have, in the past, been very intentional in misleading people with their labeling and advertising, refusing for quite some time to admit that it was a "Belgian-style" beer and not a "Belgian" beer. I just don't think it tastes even remotely like the wheat beers it claims to be styled after. It would be like marketing Bud as a "porter-style" beer. It's not what it is at all.
According to wikipedia (so we know it's true) it was created by Keith Villa at the Molson-Coors brewers off of Coors Field, originally named the Bellyside Belgian White. That could be the marketing version, but there you go. That was back in 95 so I'm confused as to how you'd be comparing the "original" version with the mass produced version. Also, and really no offense meant, but how much Belgian wit have you had? It's extreme hyperbole to say Blue Moon is to wit as Bud is to porter. It's far less delicate and complex as compared to a true Belgian, but the flavors of the gruit (or, rather, the coriander and orange) are all there. It was sneaky of them to try to pass it of as an actual Belgian beer though.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:40 pm

Rooney wrote:I had a perfect old fashioned with Woodford on Friday night. Such a damn good drink
Mmm. Fantastic cocktail. It's hard to find places that make them well, though.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:45 pm

Gecko of Doom wrote:
Rooney wrote:I had a perfect old fashioned with Woodford on Friday night. Such a damn good drink
Woodford is fantastic. Though seconded on getting a good old fashioned. They use way too much soda water (some would say that any is too much) and sugar syrup instead of sugar cube. I mean.. really. How can you "modernize" a drink called Old Fashioned?

Edit: Though have you tried a real sazerac? With rye, absinthe and peychaud. That's the definition of a cocktail for me.

Gecko of Doom

Bronze

Post by Gecko of Doom » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:51 pm

geoduck wrote:
Gecko of Doom wrote:
Woodford is fantastic. Though seconded on getting a good old fashioned. They use way too much soda water (some would say that any is too much) and sugar syrup instead of sugar cube. I mean.. really. How can you "modernize" a drink called Old Fashioned?

Edit: Though have you tried a real sazerac? With rye, absinthe and peychaud. That's the definition of a cocktail for me.
I ordered one at a certain chain restaurant, and they crushed all the fruit up into a pulp at the bottom when they muddled it. It was unpleasant.

Edit: Referring to an Old Fashioned, not sazerac. I believe I tried a sazerac once, though. It was quite good, if I remember correctly.
Last edited by Gecko of Doom on Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:57 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 6:53 pm

I've never heard of an old-fashioned that took soda.

geoduck

Silver

Post by geoduck » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:05 pm

sundance95 wrote:I've never heard of an old-fashioned that took soda.
Most bars I've ordered one from do this weird modern interpretation of an old-fashioned with a jigger of bourbon, squirt of simple or gomme, and a couple dashes of bitters topped with soda. Even the ones that muddle the sugar cube with the bitters tend to muddle with soda water instead of still water. It's a travesty.

sundance95

Gold

Post by sundance95 » Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:16 pm

geoduck wrote:
sundance95 wrote:I've never heard of an old-fashioned that took soda.
Most bars I've ordered one from do this weird modern interpretation of an old-fashioned with a jigger of bourbon, squirt of simple or gomme, and a couple dashes of bitters topped with soda. Even the ones that muddle the sugar cube with the bitters tend to muddle with soda water instead of still water. It's a travesty.
That it is.

memphisbelle

Bronze

Post by memphisbelle » Mon Jun 20, 2011 9:47 pm

I've never had an old fashioned or a sazerac although they both sound like something I would like. Somehow I imagine them being fouled up if I were to order either in Memphis. I don't like wheat beer at all. When I was waiting tables, my automatic id was sex on the beach or similar fruity shooters. Those are liquor 101. They are decent tasting though. Killian's is good. That's not terribly cheap here though.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”