Class Rank

(Study Tips, Dealing With Stress, Maintaining a Social Life, Financial Aid, Internships, Bar Exam, Careers in Law . . . )
non sequitur

Class Rank

Postby non sequitur » Tue Jun 07, 2011 12:22 pm

Do GPA cut-offs for class rank generally remain the same from semester to semester? For instance, say a 3.50 GPA made you 10/1xx in the class after first semester. Is it common for that 3.50 GPA to be number ten in the class after second semester grades, or is it not unusual to see something like 3.45 or 3.55 be the GPA of number ten following second semester?

I am no mathematics expert, but this seems mathematically possible. I just want to know if anyone has knowledge that this is commonplace, unheard of, or a little of both. Perhaps a raconteur can regale us with some tales.

nickwar

Re: Class Rank

Postby nickwar » Tue Jun 07, 2011 1:53 pm

I don't know about 1st vs. 2nd semester, but I have seen a trend in the grade %s increasing between years.

Ie, 1L year a 3.02 was median. Now it's around 3.11.

Wholigan

Re: Class Rank

Postby Wholigan » Tue Jun 07, 2011 4:21 pm

The cutoffs are almost always going to move down from the first semester of 1L to the full-year average. So, if you were a 3.50 and were ranked 10/1xx after the fall, you will likely be higher than 10th if you keep the 3.50 for the year. It's just a statistical phenomenon called regression to the mean. Of course, as the last post mentioned, the grades usually go up for 2L & 3L years, because there is no curve or the curve is allowed to be higher.

Return to “Forum for Law School Students”